PDA

View Full Version : There you go ...

Buendia
July 22nd, 2007, 07:20 AM
There you go again ... (http://osnovice.blogspot.com/2007/07/why-im-going-back-to-windows.html)

tgm4883
July 22nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????
He's leaving linux because microsoft word documents don't look right in linux apps and vice versa? Has he never heard of wine or crossover linux or virtual machines?

I hope he's happy with OSX

smoker
July 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
yawn! bye! :-({|=

bonzodog
July 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
I think you miss his point. It's all because of MS and their closed formats. He IS right that a document created in MS Office opens in Open Office with slight differences made to the formatting.
He sounds like a heavy office user, and his machine does not have the hardware capabilities to support crossover office.

Buendia
July 22nd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Has he never heard of wine or crossover linux or virtual machines?

- wine is an experimental-for-a-life project. maybe some evolution may happen sometimes some years befor we die of some type of cancer caused by lack of physical movement caused by sitting in front of the pc for very long hours and fixing linux so that linux can work for us so that we can do some work. i don't know why when we talk about linux+windows everyone mentions wine. let's consider ie 6 'under wine'. it is out of date, it flickers all the time, you cannot use any activex. it is perfect for demonstration-only, no practical use.

- crossover office is not free, or is it? it probably is not far away from wine too.

- vm's are good, however, do not forget the bloody always-hungry windows which needs ram and when you buy some more it still need ram and don't forget that you have to share your existing ram on a vm. no matter what version, only a fresh copy of windows is fast enough. once it gets a little bit old, it starts getting slower and slower -- as if ms uses some biological organs in windows.

tgm4883
July 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
- wine is an experimental-for-a-life project. maybe some evolution may happen sometimes some years befor we die of some type of cancer caused by lack of physical movement caused by sitting in front of the pc for very long hours and fixing linux so that linux can work for us so that we can do some work. i don't know why when we talk about linux+windows everyone mentions wine. let's consider ie 6 'under wine'. it is out of date, it flickers all the time, you cannot use any activex. it is perfect for demonstration-only, no practical use.

- crossover office is not free, or is it? it probably is not far away from wine too.

- vm's are good, however, do not forget the bloody always-hungry windows which needs ram and when you buy some more it still need ram and don't forget that you have to share your existing ram on a vm. no matter what version, only a fresh copy of windows is fast enough. once it gets a little bit old, it starts getting slower and slower -- as if ms uses some biological organs in windows.

1. Depending on the office version, it works just fine in linux.

2. Did I miss something? Is windows and the windows maintenance programs for windows free now? See #1

3. Have lots of ram, use a better version of windows (I use 2000), and keep a copy of your default install so you can always have a fresh install if something goes wrong.

prizrak
July 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????
He's leaving linux because microsoft word documents don't look right in linux apps and vice versa? Has he never heard of wine or crossover linux or virtual machines?

I hope he's happy with OSX

Actually from experience documents created in Office on Windows don't work right with Office on Mac. Even MS can't get their formating right.

igknighted
July 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Actually from experience documents created in Office on Windows don't work right with Office on Mac. Even MS can't get their formating right.

Especially spreadsheets. Try using the linest function on excel windows and opening the spreadsheet up on a mac (or vice versa).

stmiller
July 22nd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Sounds like this guy/gal is better off with a Windows machine anyway, if their work is only with Office.

Also, who cares? Sounds like another blog of a 13 year old.

Lord Darth Vader
July 22nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Sounds like this guy/gal is better off with a Windows machine anyway, if their work is only with Office.

Also, who cares? Sounds like another blog of a 13 year old.

If you admit that a Windows machine is better for heavy office work, why that sounds like a 13 year old notes?! This kind of reaction implies there is a weak spot that you unconsciously feel you need to defend.

Footissimo
July 22nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if e's dual booting or fully back within a couple of weeks =)

sparks0548
July 22nd, 2007, 11:47 PM
I honestly don't understand blog's like this. Maybe I'm just a blog idiot, but to tell the Internet that you're leaving Linux to go back to Windows? I guess for me I could think of better things to write about. He's right on one avenue that we weren't meant to spend our lives tied behind a screen and a keyboard. For me I enjoy working on my Ubuntu system, and I run a single VM for Visual Studio .NET development for work.

But I have to debate another point. Computers have become such an integral part of our daily lives and tie into our time away from the keyboard. Picture managers, online banking, videos, music just to name the basics.

If you enjoy something I feel you should find ways to continue doing what you like doing. How about a second system or a newer system for running a VM or shelling out the $40 for Cross Over Linux. It can happen.

I believe too that there should be a healthy balance between your passion for computers or Linux and the rest of your time. If you're spending 14 hours a day working on something, time to find another way of doing it.

I am gonna try and come full circle back to the blog idea. I don't blog and probably should have in the past, but I can't see writing about leaving an OS. When I left for Iraq I wrote an email to my family and friends saying good-bye, and even left some a letter if I didn't return. Maybe it's the same....I dunno. I think I'll have a coffee and comtemplate it......LOL.

Lord Darth Vader
July 22nd, 2007, 11:55 PM
I honestly don't understand blog's like this. Maybe I'm just a blog idiot, but to tell the Internet that you're leaving Linux to go back to Windows? I guess for me I could think of better things to write about. He's right on one avenue that we weren't meant to spend our lives tied behind a screen and a keyboard. For me I enjoy working on my Ubuntu system, and I run a single VM for Visual Studio .NET development for work.

But I have to debate another point. Computers have become such an integral part of our daily lives and tie into our time away from the keyboard. Picture managers, online banking, videos, music just to name the basics.

If you enjoy something I feel you should find ways to continue doing what you like doing. How about a second system or a newer system for running a VM or shelling out the $40 for Cross Over Linux. It can happen.

I believe too that there should be a healthy balance between your passion for computers or Linux and the rest of your time. If you're spending 14 hours a day working on something, time to find another way of doing it.

I am gonna try and come full circle back to the blog idea. I don't blog and probably should have in the past, but I can't see writing about leaving an OS. When I left for Iraq I wrote an email to my family and friends saying good-bye, and even left some a letter if I didn't return. Maybe it's the same....I dunno. I think I'll have a coffee and comtemplate it......LOL.

On blogging issue, why are you so in rush in replying that you ignore this very obvious fact that it is not a blog about leaving Linux for Windows. Please read other posts in that blog. It was just a post among many others.

starcraft.man
July 23rd, 2007, 01:28 AM
Why do we have to continue to get these "goodbye" posts (especially linked to in Cafe)? When you (whoever posted on OSNovice, is it Buendia?) departed MS did you go to the main Windows forums and post something similar to them (pointing to their deficiencies such as malware, expensive OS/software addons, and lack of "open community" like Linux.)? Is it because these forums are more friendly and open that people feel the need to announce to everyone that Linux doesn't do quite everything they need right now?

Let's put it this way, I could equally go in the Windows support forums and ask "Why do you charge 2-400 dollars for a program that doesn't come with a decent Image Manipulation program, a quality (Windows movie editor doesn't count) Multimedia editor, a full free and workable (for others, not you) office suite and a powerful included burning suite? This is stupid, I'm not gonna waste my hard earned cash on a stripped down OS.I'm going to Linux." They would promptly laugh at me, at least I think so. So why do you feel the need to post this? Please answer, I'm not trying to attack you but I'm getting tired of these and I really do wanna know why people do it.

Oh and if you have suggestions/comments for improvement of OpenOffice feel free to submit them to OpenOffice.org (http://www.openoffice.org/), UbuntuForums of course isn't directly involved in the project.

Lord Darth Vader
July 23rd, 2007, 02:07 AM
Dear Starcraft.man,

This instance of goodbye post is not in this forum. In fact it was posted in a personal weblog and somebody here posted a link to that particular post.

starcraft.man
July 23rd, 2007, 02:40 AM
Dear Starcraft.man,

This instance of goodbye post is not in this forum. In fact it was posted in a personal weblog and somebody here posted a link to that particular post.

I know it's a link to a weblog (I clicked the link)... my comments still apply. I was anyway under the impression that it was Buendia's post since he took the time to respond to the 3 suggestions laid out, dismissing them. Ergo, under the assumption since he is linking to his own post, it is (the link) really only a substitute for actually posting the entire thing in the cafe (he did link it here for people to read with a purpose in mind). If my assumption/impression is wrong feel free to correct Buendia. In any case, comments still apply to OP at least... I don't see why Buendia would link to the weblog if it wasn't his. We see enough people leaving (or trying and quitting for x reasons) Linux, it's not hard to find. It certainly isn't news to the cafe...

Oh and what's with dear? I'm a grump (at least I think)... I don't think I fit the dear criterion :p.

Lord Darth Vader
July 23rd, 2007, 02:51 AM
Oh! I see your point. No! I am the writer of that post/blog. I used to write some tips for novice ubuntu users. Then when I decided to go back to Windows (again) I felt I should share my view with my readers. That's all.

starcraft.man
July 23rd, 2007, 03:05 AM
Oh! I see your point. No! I am the writer of that post/blog. I used to write some tips for novice ubuntu users. Then when I decided to go back to Windows (again) I felt I should share my view with my readers. That's all.

Ooooookkkkaaaayyyyy... then I really don't get why Buendia posted it. What's wrong with a VM option though? I have been doing VM work for a while on my ol' p4 (will soon have a spiffy new quad core for my workstation) and with only a Gb of ram (512 only dedicated to VM) I get great performance out of it when I need office for a few things. In any case, best of luck... to each his own.

Buendia
August 1st, 2007, 11:09 PM
Ooooookkkkaaaayyyyy... then I really don't get why Buendia posted it.

Well, in c or java you may have:

if( ! i_dont_get_why_buendia_posted_it )
{
continue;
}
else
{
continue;
}
If that is complicated, maybe you can get it in visual basic, which is supposed to be basic:

If Not i_dont_get_why_buendia_posted_it

Continue While

Else

Continue While

End If
I am afraid I was not able to find a polite English version of this.