Which one would you choose?

Ubuntu or Debian?

:lolflag: i'd choose Ubuntu

yatt
July 22nd, 2007, 04:42 AM
Debian

reyfer
July 22nd, 2007, 04:44 AM
It depends. I like to test things, so I use Kubuntu. But for stability, I would go with Debian.

stmiller
July 22nd, 2007, 04:53 AM
Debian stable = the rock. But doesn't have the latest and greatest packages, if that matters to you.

antenna
July 22nd, 2007, 04:56 AM
I prefer Debian (I use testing).

tbroderick
July 22nd, 2007, 05:18 AM
Debian.

loell
July 22nd, 2007, 05:24 AM
none of the above, might wanna try CRUX, a different animal ;)

Hex_Mandos
July 22nd, 2007, 06:20 AM
For a home desktop, Ubuntu. For a server or enterprise desktop, Debian. Of course, that could change depending on the moment (next year, I might be more interested in installing Ubuntu LTS than Debian for stable systems, but today I choose Etch over Dapper).

Debian and Ubuntu are both great. Ubuntu is a great gateway drug for Debian.

Quillz
July 22nd, 2007, 06:43 AM
I've never used Debian, so I'd have to stick with Ubuntu.

daverich
July 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
I use kubuntu since compiz hosed my ubuntu desktop ;)

I'm pleasantly surprised how nice it is once configured.

Never used Debian though so this is probably a pointless post - hah! :)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Saner
July 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
I had a few problems with debian, so I switched from that to Ubuntu (I hald expected to have the same problems to be honest)

But all is fine and rosey

So for me its Ubuntu, it seems as open and easy to configure / change as Debian, but it has the community and help that both new and old users need from time to time.

seshomaru samma
July 22nd, 2007, 10:37 AM
If you use Debian you will probably learn more about Linux and computers in general.
I was dual-booting Etch and Feisty for a while and to be honest - couldn't really tell the difference between them ,except that wireless was better on Feisty and VMware ran much faster on Etch.
It's probably better to start with Ubuntu and then go Debian

scxtt
July 22nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
both ... install which even one you like "best" first, then use debootstrap to install the other in a chroot environment ... i have debian etch in a chroot and can use it at any time when i'm in gentoo ... even have X running on vt8 :)

davtaine
July 22nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
Debian

DC@DR
July 22nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Come on, they're siblings, why need to separate them like that. I would love to use Debian-based Ubuntu, that's my answer! :-)

happy-and-lost
July 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Debian Sid for speed, Ubuntu for usability!

kerry_s
July 22nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
debian lenny/sid minimal and fluxbox, custom install.

deanjm1963
July 22nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Debian Etch if you don't need any eye candy tho compiz works awesomely well with gnome, forget kde, gives me reoccuring nightmares.

Ubuntu is great, but I had to admit, I've given up gnome on the Feisty release and went for KDE, Kubuntu, quirks aside, is a great distro, above all, it really depends on what you are looking for in a distro.

Celegorm
July 22nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
I put Debian on my laptop yesterday, and then installed Xubuntu over it a few hours later. I guess I am just too attached to the Ubuntu repos, they seem to have a lot more of the newest stuff. For instance, Debian's repos had version 0.9.14 of fluxbox (if I remember right) and Ubuntu's had 1.0rc2. As I understand it, Debian focuses more on being stable than having the latest stuff, so if I'd realized I cared that much about the newest stuff, I wouldn't really have needed to try it to know it's not the right distro for me (which is not to say it isn't a great disrto).

kerry_s
July 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
I put Debian on my laptop yesterday, and then installed Xubuntu over it a few hours later. I guess I am just too attached to the Ubuntu repos, they seem to have a lot more of the newest stuff. For instance, Debian's repos had version 0.9.14 of fluxbox (if I remember right) and Ubuntu's had 1.0rc2. As I understand it, Debian focuses more on being stable than having the latest stuff, so if I'd realized I cared that much about the newest stuff, I wouldn't really have needed to try it to know it's not the right distro for me (which is not to say it isn't a great disrto).

i guess you didn't bother turning on repos.

andrek
July 22nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Debian Sid for speed, Ubuntu for usability!

Debian Sid for speed & usability.. :)

and Celegorm,
My Sid has fluxbox 1.0~rc3-3 version, so you probably didn't add some extra repos.

Celegorm
July 22nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
i guess you didn't bother turning on repos.

Couldn't find ones to add. Which repos are those?

angryfirelord
July 22nd, 2007, 02:46 PM
Couldn't find ones to add. Which repos are those?
The Testing or Unstable repos.

As for me, I run both, Ubuntu for my laptop, Debian for my desktop. Ubuntu allows me to give Linux for new users (hence I can "show off" on my laptop), while Debian allows me to get the most of my system. Either way, they're a dynamic duo.

odiseo77
July 22nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Both of them :p I mean, sometimes, when I get bored of Ubuntu i boot Debian, then, when I get lazy, I boot Ubuntu :D Both are great distros. BTW, I'm using debian lenny/sid and in spite of being in the testing/unstable branch, I find it very stable (don't remember a simple crash or hang there) and the packages it uses are up-to-date.

AlexenderReez
July 22nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
i never use debian....but i think i want to stick to use ubuntu:)

plb
July 22nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Debian

angryfirelord
July 22nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Both of them :p I mean, sometimes, when I get bored of Ubuntu i boot Debian, then, when I get lazy, I boot Ubuntu :D Both are great distros. BTW, I'm using debian lenny/sid and in spite of being in the testing/unstable branch, I find it very stable (don't remember a simple crash or hang there) and the packages it uses are up-to-date.
Same here!

machoo02
July 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Come on, they're siblings, why need to separate them like that. I would love to use Debian-based Ubuntu, that's my answer! :-)

Not really....think of Debian as a parent, and Ubuntu as one of its many children. By using regular Ubuntu, you are using a Debian-based system.

Celegorm
July 22nd, 2007, 07:58 PM

Ah cool, I'll probably use the testing/unstable one next time I try Debian then.

tower_
July 22nd, 2007, 08:03 PM
well next i try is: "debian-live" see http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/
seems to be very smart and it's the real debian :guitar:

* Images for etch, lenny and sid are working. [2007-07-10]