PDA

View Full Version : What'd you think of Harry Potter 7? *spoiler warning*

macogw
July 22nd, 2007, 02:32 AM
That was such an awesome plot. It was all knotted up in itself and in book 6's plot, and there was all the "omg no!!" times...she's very good at making false-endings seem like the only possible ending. That was a very fitting way to end the series, though, and naming one of the kids "Albus Severus Potter" was just brilliant. The bit where the they joke that Arthur wouldn't stand for one of his grandchildren marrying a Malfoy because the Malfoy's blood is too pure, that was good, given that the rest of the wizarding world goes the other way. Oh, and imagining shabby little Mrs. Weasley charging at Bellatrix Lestrange and swearing (I don't recall her swearing elsewhere in the series at all, and if she did, "you b****" is not the type she did) had me laughing too hard to read for a bit.

Now, how is she going to beat this series?

kamaboko
July 22nd, 2007, 02:34 AM
she's not going to beat this series. in fact, she has even said so.

macogw
July 22nd, 2007, 02:40 AM
Meaning she thinks it's the best she can do, I hope? I'd hate for her to say "k that's it, I'm done" and stop writing.

kamaboko
July 22nd, 2007, 02:46 AM
Meaning she thinks it's the best she can do, I hope? I'd hate for her to say "k that's it, I'm done" and stop writing.

No, she just said lightning doesn't strike twice. Come on...how many writers can claim to have made a billion dollars off of a story? This book is expected to be the largest first day sale of any book in history. She's being very realistic. But, she will continue to write.

timo1023
July 22nd, 2007, 02:51 AM
I enjoyed the book, but I was kind of angry that Harry lived. Nothing against Harry, it's just that he was MEANT to die, and then she pulls the they-lived-happily-ever-after ending. I guess she did it because it is largely a kids book and because of the reaction there would have been to the protagonist dying, but the blatant BS of him surviving the killing curse a second time was unbearable. It seemed like a cop out, in my opinion. Nevertheless, there were a lot of good action scenes and it was a great read. Props to Rowling.

~LoKe
July 22nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
I enjoyed the book, but I was kind of angry that Harry lived. Nothing against Harry, it's just that he was MEANT to die, and then she pulls the they-lived-happily-ever-after ending. I guess she did it because it is largely a kids book and because of the reaction there would have been to the protagonist dying, but the blatant BS of him surviving the killing curse a second time was unbearable. It seemed like a cop out, in my opinion. Nevertheless, there were a lot of good action scenes and it was a great read. Props to Rowling.

But he's the "Boy Who Lived". It wouldn't make any sense to kill him off. Evil is not supposed to prevail, that's the whole point of the story. He sacrificed everything but his life (actually, he did sacrifice his life, but survived). The fact that he was willing to die is what took the place of an actual death.

init1
July 22nd, 2007, 04:55 AM
HE LIVED? I bought the book today, but haven't read much yet. I was hoping he would die too.

augied
July 22nd, 2007, 05:08 AM
Just wondering, how many people here read a leaked copy? And, for the record, I do intend to buy the book, and I did not ruin the ending for anyone.

I finished it on Thursday and my eyes are still bloodshot from staring at the screen. When I first finished, they were so red that, combined with the standard geek skin tone, I looked quite a bit like a certain character.

DoctorMO
July 22nd, 2007, 05:23 AM
Has anyone read that new jasper fford book?