PDA

View Full Version : Could a monkey do your job?

H.E. Pennypacker
July 22nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
There's another thread on what type of jobs people have, but this question is directly related to jobs that could be performed by any person off the street, even those with little intelligence. Obviously, if you need extensive education for your job, you don't fit the description.

The description is the type of job that is mainly repetitive, requires little to no experience, and could be satisfied by a, well, moron.

So, could a monkey do your job? Be honest (don't dismiss this question because I am equating your job with a monkey), and share what exactly you do.

I am currently an accounting clerk (no experience at all), and I would say it is not a monkey job. I used to be a pharmacy technician, and that wasn't a monkey job either.

slimdog360
July 22nd, 2007, 01:51 AM
it would have to be one of those super chimps that they sent to the moon to get the moon radiation and become really really smart (if the moon landing was not a conspiracy).

stalker145
July 22nd, 2007, 01:52 AM
I would say that a monkey could do my basic job - that's why they have us do pull-ups for our physical fitness test. Also, monkeys could rather easily kill people and break things. Yes, my basic job is U.S. Marine.

Now, as for my specific job - doubtful that a monkey could do that one. I troubleshoot and repair microminiature components on circuit cards, repair laminate of circuit cards, and repair of speech and data security devices.

Sometimes I wish they'd at least let me try to train a monkey for that job so I could go camping/kayaking for a few weeks.

wersdaluv
July 22nd, 2007, 01:56 AM
Nope.

Not a monkey. Maybe, an Ubermensch.

%hMa@?b<C
July 22nd, 2007, 01:56 AM
i dont have a job, so the answer is yes. maybe even an ant or a bee could do my job!

jrusso2
July 22nd, 2007, 03:42 AM
If a monkey could do a job I am sure they would have him working already so they can pay in bananas.

H.E. Pennypacker
July 25th, 2007, 03:45 AM
If a monkey could do a job I am sure they would have him working already so they can pay in bananas.

Good one...I didn't think of that...lol!

runningwithscissors
July 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I am a code monkey. So, actually, a monkey is already doing my job.

LaRoza
July 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I am a student, and I am surrounded by monkeys (other students), a monkey couldn't replace me, but he could essentially do what I am supposed to do.

Tux Aubrey
July 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM
A monkey doing my job would have quit by now and become a consultant doing the same thing for four times the money. But a fish would probably stick it out. I'm not sure about invertebrates or plants. They tend to have a lower tolerance for abuse. I am a bureaucrat.

Sunforge
July 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM
A monkey could have done my first job and sometimes would have made a better go of it. I've moved on since then.

Depressed Man
July 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I'm a psychology major eventually becoming a psychologist in the counseling or cognitive fields. So I don't think so. Depending on the field I'd need to do research and interact with people either in labs or in the case of counseling their problems.

My previous jobs have been IT related (I have a hobby in IT even though my main love is psychology) and I've worked as a technician as well as a programmer. So I think a monkey could do my job as a technician if properly trained. Since I was mostly just running cables and setting up servers.

jc87
July 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Well, he would need:

A) read / write (not much, mainly numbers) and count

B) Be fast-handed (really fast)

C) Work eight hours a day standing up

D) Good sense of sizes and proportions

E) Make cables 100% acording to the specifications (not less or the boss/quality would eat him at launch)

I´m an factory worker and i produce electrical cables that will be used in all kind of vehicles:(

Tundro Walker
July 26th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I think I work with monkeys, does that count?

Actually, I'm glad I work with people instead of monkeys. They're less likely to fling their poo at me.

graabein
July 26th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I write software for hospitals so it would have to be a really smart monkey. It's quite a lot of Visual Basic 6.0 :( so maybe just a half smart monkey.

richbarna
July 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I think I work with monkeys, does that count?

Actually, I'm glad I work with people instead of monkeys. They're less likely to fling their poo at me.

Depends on the kind of people you work with.

A monkey couldnb't do my job (Logistics and Security) although we probably have something in common; The Salary (peanuts).

Motoxrdude
July 26th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Yes, but you would have to use glasses for the rest of you life.
A monkey could do my job, but not well. I am a laser technician for eye surgery's ORs.

RedNikon
July 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Well a monkey could easily be put in front of a keyboard and phone to type and answer the phone. But, the real question is would the monkey be productive? Not really, so I would have to say no.

I work on/maintain/upgrade/destroy a 1.1k user network with about 160+ switches, and that's just the non-secure side. I work for the US Government as an Airman in the US Air Force.

Sporkman
July 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM
i dont have a job, so the answer is yes. maybe even an ant or a bee could do my job!

No, an ant or bee is hardwired to work & be productive. They could not do what you do (or "don't" :D ). ;)

Sspankyy
August 7th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Wow..... I hope not... That's a LOT of Drugs for a monkey to be around... If I remember my last trip to the zoo, they like to put random stuff in their mouths...

Scott

Certified Pharmacy Technician @ Cleveland Clinic <main campus>

steven8
August 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM
A monkey does do my job. Me!

PurposeOfReason
August 7th, 2007, 05:53 AM
A monkey could do my old job if it could count. I worked in a warehouse. Just need to know how many boxes per truck.

rd.pt
February 2nd, 2010, 04:55 PM
Well, i'm a software developer, so i don't think a monkey could do my job although some times i do feel like a monkey just pressing random keys....but that's another story....
:)

@H.E. Pennypacker (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=115733) are you trying to depress ppl? heheheh,when one gets to the conclusion that his/her job could be performed by a monkey....that's not a happy moment :D, on the other hand....that should be an eye opener to go and get a diferent job...
On a more serious side, i even consider programming jobs to be in some risk, we see more and more use of code completion and suggestion, i've met ppl that are working in project that have the objective of making code reuse and automatically (context based).

keep up the good work ppl :)

kellemes
February 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm a postman in Amsterdam.
Some of my colleagues are monkeys..

Sporkman
February 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Holy Necroposting, Batman!

Sporkman
February 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Could a monkey necropost?

KegHead
February 2nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Yup,

I'm retired.

KegHead

dondiego2
February 2nd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Apparently they needed no one to do my job so I guess a monkey could do it. I am an engineer at an unnamed automotive parts supplier in Michigan and I was told that I am being let go as of March 1st after 21 years. I'm looking for a job - so move over monkeys!

whiskeylover
February 2nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Johnson Controls?

chucky chuckaluck
February 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
i'm a voice teacher, so no, though i've had some students who could use a good poo hurling.