PDA

View Full Version : A disaster to take everyone's breath away

RAV TUX
July 21st, 2007, 09:26 PM
A disaster to take everyone's breath away

12:00AM Monday July 24, 2006
By Geoffrey Lean

MANAUS - Deep in the heart of the world's greatest rainforest, a nine-day journey by boat from the sea, Otavio Luz Castello is anxiously watching the soft waters of the Amazon drain away.
Every day they recede further, like water running slowly out of an immense bathtub, threatening a worldwide catastrophe.
Standing on an island in a quiet channel of the giant river, he points out what is happening. A month ago, the island was under water. Now, it juts 5m above it.
It is a sign that severe drought is returning to the Amazon for a second successive year. And that would be ominous. New research suggests that one further dry year beyond that could tip the whole vast forest into a cycle of destruction.
Story continues at link below

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10392615&pnum=0

Tundro Walker
July 22nd, 2007, 12:53 AM
Yeah, all their freakin rain...has come here to Dallas, TX.

It's like Hawaii here. We had a drought for about 5 years running, now it rains like every day. It's rained 2-3 times heavily today so far. It's rained so much that we've not only recovered our water table, but have serious flooding issues now.

It's like the world has decided to shift climates around. I blame George Bush. (heh).

eljoeb
July 22nd, 2007, 02:36 AM
I blame (in no particular order) corporations, profits, republicans, Windows users, Americans, religion, and those people living down the street that kick dogs. I guess I'll add DRM for the heck of it.

Someone also blamed George Bush so I won't include him.

Terrible people.

The weather's pretty nice here. I blame all of the above for it.