PDA

View Full Version : tiny pc, looks neat!!

styven
July 21st, 2007, 07:17 PM
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5551137361.html

great for under your big screen telly;-)

prizrak
July 21st, 2007, 07:25 PM
Doesn't have a tuner card or enough power to run as a DVR, can't play DVDs. What the hell is the point of it hooked up to my TV?

dfreer
July 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Bigger question, how would you hook it up to your tv, as it only has VGA out?

Although it would be sweet for a firewall, or perhaps some other network service.

styven
July 21st, 2007, 09:11 PM
I use my laptop via the pc input on my telly all the time to do the following....

internet, email, watch dvds, show photos.

I see no reason why this could not do the same, saves having to connect up the laptop.

Don't need it as a pvr, have skyplus, but I agree it is not a pc to base a pvr on.

A tiny pc that uses the power of linux, uses very little electricity, does the things that most ppeople use a pc for, and quietly, I think has to be applauded. In a time when more homes are networked with loads of pc, i still thing it's neat.

Steve.

prizrak
July 21st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Bigger question, how would you hook it up to your tv, as it only has VGA out?

Although it would be sweet for a firewall, or perhaps some other network service.

I got a D-SUB input on my TV so that wouldn't be a problem.

I use my laptop via the pc input on my telly all the time to do the following....

internet, email, watch dvds, show photos.

I see no reason why this could not do the same, saves having to connect up the laptop.

Don't need it as a pvr, have skyplus, but I agree it is not a pc to base a pvr on.

A tiny pc that uses the power of linux, uses very little electricity, does the things that most ppeople use a pc for, and quietly, I think has to be applauded. In a time when more homes are networked with loads of pc, i still thing it's neat.

Steve.
It's a nice machine no doubt about it, but IMO useless on a TV. I could see using it as an internet station in the house though, especially if you have an apartment server (like I do).

stmiller
July 21st, 2007, 09:32 PM
Somewhat related to this: my friend has recently put Debian on an AppleTV. Makes quite a nice little Linux computer.

AppleTV: $300

hard drive
Nvidia graphics
Intel chip
wireless
remote
small/silent, etc.

Not bad for a usable computer.

red_five
July 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM
This'd work pretty well as a kitchen PC: web browser for recipes, touch screen, stick on the back of the LCD hanging from a kitchen wall.

prizrak
July 21st, 2007, 11:21 PM
This'd work pretty well as a kitchen PC: web browser for recipes, touch screen, stick on the back of the LCD hanging from a kitchen wall.

Cept touchscreen support in Linux isn't all that great.

Tundro Walker
July 22nd, 2007, 12:43 AM
I know folks want to get down to splitting hairs over what side project they could abuse this little comp for. But, I just wanted everyone to pause and look at the big picture.

In late 1970's, the Apple ][e disk drive (http://apple2history.org/history/ah05.html) was about 2-3 times the size of this thing, and all it did was allow transfer of data to/from a 5 1/4 floppy that held up to 140kb of data.

By comparison, this little comp has a hd in it that stores 40 MB, in addition to, you know, it also being a computer... LOL!

My how we've advanced over 40 years...and yet...for all the horse-power this little comp has compared to an Apple ][e, the little comp is a second class citizen, relegated to Tivo duty or web-browsing...LOL! I'd say our technology has advanced faster than our appreciation for it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention (in case you don't read the article I linked to), when the Apple ][ disk first came out, they were charging $500-600 for it. Today, you can get a fanless mini-comp for half the price... Amazing.