PDA

View Full Version : Why do people use ubuntu?

chrt.g.o
July 21st, 2007, 02:54 PM
i've been using it for a week now and i can't see why do other normal (?) people use it. Is the safety really worth all the lack of everything?:confused:

rax_m
July 21st, 2007, 03:00 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for 7 months now, almost exclusively. It doesn't lack anything for me....

do you want to be more specific about what it's lacking for you?

And there's no reason to be crude in your post title..

dptxp
July 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Well, if the world can use Windows, why not Ubuntu ?

diffuze
July 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Perhaps you could specify what you think it lacks?

marco123
July 21st, 2007, 03:04 PM
I use Ubuntu because it's better than windows in almost every way. Also windows 64bit is rubbish.

Also, I don't know about you, but I don't want my operating system calling me a thief because I change a component.

Extreme Coder
July 21st, 2007, 03:04 PM
i've been using it for a week now and i can't see why do other normal (?) people use it. Is the safety really worth all the lack of everything?:confused:
lack of what?
lack of viruses?
lack of spyware?
lack of having to buy software for the most simple functions?
lack of having to buy the OS?
lack of instability?

If that's the lack that you're talking about, then I'd say its worth it :)

Nezing
July 21st, 2007, 03:05 PM
No worries over updating anti-virus,spyware,adware,melware,crapware software.No worries over fragmentation.Not having to activate,simply because I changed a hard drive,or graphics card.Not having to pay a fortune for office software.Not worrying about bloatware.Apart from that,I dont know why I use Ubuntu?

Dont forget the superb community spirit.

:guitar:

timo1023
Almost all of the apps I used on Windows are available for Linux (Firefox, VLC, Maple), and those that are not have equivalent, if not better, counterparts (iTunes - Quod Libet, Office - OpenOffice, etc.). The switch was easy for me, and the whole open source idea is just the right way to go.

That said, I don't think Ubuntu is for everyone, but it suits my needs really well. Use Windows if you want to. You sound like a gamer, anyways.

EDIT: Wow, 9 posts in a minute! The community got riled up, haha.

smoker
yawn! :-({|=

metallicamaster3
July 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM
haha agreeeeed!!

bapoumba
July 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM
I changed the thread title.
Ubuntu, Linux and FOSS are not only about safety. Safety is basically one of the consequences of collaborative and open work, vs proprietary and closed work.

Paul820
July 21st, 2007, 03:09 PM
In my eyes, Ubuntu is just as good as windows. I do everything on it, watch DVD's, listen to music, browse the net, program, use blender, use gimp inkscape etc. I chat to my brother on IM, write emails, everything. I don't play games on pc's i have a console so that doesn't bother me. I don't see why so many people have a problem with it. I have no reason to keep windows so i got rid of it and use ubuntu all the time now.

bobz086
July 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM
The real question IMHO, is why people continue to use windows?

marco123
July 21st, 2007, 03:14 PM
Some people have to learn the hard way unfortunately. They'll change their tune once their system goes down, they have to reinstall, then phone up and beg the owner of the operating system (microsoft - not them) to reactivate it. :)

mybunche
July 21st, 2007, 04:42 PM
I use Ubuntu because it's more efficient and enjoyable than Windows. I only fire up XP for a few programs I need and to keep anti-virus and XP updated I use the Ubuntu distro because I like the whole eco-system of Ubuntu (eg community, philosophy, Canonical, ideas, goals etc) not just the distro specifically. I hope it keeps growing.

xpod
July 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM
Re: Why do people use ubuntu?

Fate brought me to Ubuntu....

Common sense keeps me here

kiepmad
July 21st, 2007, 04:55 PM
because open source rocks and because ubuntu is easy!

eljoeb
July 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Angst and a desire to whine about corporate overlords, but without the frequency or style of a Mac user.

Why do you ask?

I'm actually wondering the same thing. I don't actually do anything in Ubuntu. Incompatibilities keep me from doing work on it, and game support is lacking. I think I'm using it to play music and use the internet. I'd probably use it more if more of my hardware worked. Not really complaining, because I'm sure there are fixes out there, I just don't have time to mess with it now.

AlexenderReez
July 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM

i still using windows because i still can't find replacement for some particular task..and i hate to use wine...and even if i know the replacement like gimp for photoshop , it is difficult to do any task in new environment ....i need more time to learn the gui:)

mutation
July 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
I use it because i can and want to. simple enough, no i hate MS or windows sucks, just wanted something diffrent.
:guitar:

Zzl1xndd
July 21st, 2007, 05:06 PM
I have 5 computers all of them run Ubuntu and I have so trouble doing anything that I do in Windows. Right now im logged into all my IMs, Listening to music, Chatting on Irc, Downloading with Azureus, It has some really awesome desktop effects, No AntiVirus or Spyware needed. I have yet to find something I own that doesnt work with it web cam, 2 Printers, my cell phone, Game pads, TV tuner and so on and the only driver i ever installed was the one for my graphics card. Also I play a large number of games all that have native support and have been rather happy with them.

So I guess like many others I would have to ask what do you find lacking?

Zzl1xndd
July 21st, 2007, 05:07 PM
i still using windows because i still can't find replacement for some particular task..and i hate to use wine...and even if i know the replacement like gimp for photoshop , it is difficult to do any task in new environment ....i need more time to learn the gui:)

If the example you gave is whats holding you back you might wanna try gimpshop its gimp laid out like Photoshop :)

DoctorMO
July 21st, 2007, 05:14 PM
I use it because my hardware wouldn't work in windows, some of it only works in win98 other parts only work in xp. besides I'm an open source programmer, I don't like messing about for hours and hours setting up my computer every time I reboot it, I like my computer to work and I like it to come with perl and python pre installed.

eentonig
July 21st, 2007, 05:28 PM
I don't know. Basically for the same things I used Windows for.
- Browsing the internet
- Reading/sending email.
- Organise my photo's
- process my photo's
- Organise and listen to music.
- Burn CD/DVD's
- Write documents
- Etc....

In my case, the question is 'why don't I use windows anymore?' Windows was a lot easier.... if it worked.

Things I missed or didn't like in windows
- one unresponsive app can render your complete machine paralized.
- Software upgrades need to be handled one app at a time. Ubuntu keeps track of this for everything. So I don't have to keep an eye on it.
- If I want to try some application, I can (most of the time) install it in 5". While in windows, I had to search the internet for a download. And then search a crack or pay for it. even if after five minutes I found out that I didn't like it after all.
- I don't have to waste ressources on virusscanners or firewalls

misfitpierce
July 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM
Lack of all of what? All I see a lack of really is gaming support... Other than that windows has nothing really. As far as im concerned I got a ps3 for gaming and thats fine so windows can burn

ADT
July 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Nooo not another "Ubuntu lacks" thread starter. :(
Ubuntu doesn't lack anything. It works fine.
I know one thing for sure, it doesn't lack freedom. :)

Baby Boy
July 21st, 2007, 08:03 PM
Hey, this thread has some very nice replies, thanks a lot everyone. I am positive I'll use Ubuntu only from now on :D <can't wait to buy a laptop>.

By the way, fate brought me to Ubuntu homepage only a few days ago, and here's what I liked about it immediately:

1.) Free - Hell, I downloaded a full, neatly packed Ubuntu installation disc with the demo! I mean, you can try the system before you decide whether you'll use it. I love that.

2.) Fast, clean and incredibly functional desktop and interface with everything you need installed right out of the box.

3.) Sea of open source apps and games you can use guilt-free, knowing that you're completely legal - yet it's free.

4.) I like tinkering with stuff and fixing problems and looks like I'll have my hands full in Ubuntu.

5.) It's Linux, and as far as I know, it's the best OS for programming, and I want to start learning.

6.) Took me about 10 secs from visiting these forums to see what a hell of a community this is.

Hope there'll be more once I switch to Ubuntu. :)

bonzodog
July 21st, 2007, 08:22 PM
/me looks at OP's profile.

hrm...that was his ONLY post to the forums, I suspect he came over after ubuntuforums latest exploits on digg. He is trying to bait people.

strabes
July 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM
Is the safety really worth all the lack of everything?:confused:

Lack of what? Oh, you mean viruses, spyware, malware, silent installs, crashing, DRM, and chains.

juxtaposed
July 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM
Why do people use ubuntu?

Because they like it?

bobbybobington
July 21st, 2007, 09:08 PM
I got hooked on linux and later specifically ubuntu because of desktop customization. What you can do with ubuntu as far as freedom to customize is better than windows or even osx. Plus you dont have to worry about trialware ever again. Other than that i use it for basically everything else except video editing :( (but that will come in due time) plus with sweet free games like urban terror and vegastrike etc... it even fulfills my gaming needs.

ADT
July 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
hrm...that was his ONLY post to the forums, I suspect he came over after ubuntuforums latest exploits on digg. He is trying to bait people.

Definately

Eggnog
July 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM

Quicken. Plain and simple. Linux has nothing that can compete. Not KMyMoney, not MoneyDance, not GNUCash, or anything else I've found. I have XP in a VM just to be able to use Quicken, because I couldn't get it to run without problems under wine. I also have a couple of other things I occasionally run in Win but other than that I don't use Win much at all.

As soon as Linux has something that equals Quicken, or Quicken gets port to Linux (I wish), I can probably give up XP fpr good although I'll keep it on dual boot just to have something to boot if Ubuntu blows up on me or something. But not until then.

walkerdude
July 23rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Things I missed or didn't like in windows
- one unresponsive app can render your complete machine paralized.

i think this sums it up for me a the most at the moment... not that my machine is oldor nything but i want to try something new, and i am willing to learn...hell i am going to learn to restore my 1963 beetle as well, so i might as well learn a new OS.

Besides....i was chatting to a friend last night and never knew about beryl...then my jaw hit the floor when i saw a demo of it....

FuturePilot
July 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
I think it's because it's one of the easiest distros out there. Not the only one but one of them. And the fact that Ubuntu has a strong middle line with the restricted stuff. Some distros make it nearly impossible to install the restricted codecs. Ubuntu doesn't have these by default, but doesn't make them impossible to get.

zipperback
July 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM

Posts like that are generally nothing more than troll postings which are intended to get an argument started.

However....

I use Ubuntu on a daily basis.
I don't have any other operating systems installed on my laptop, nor would I consider going back to using them. If however I do need a specific application from another operating system such as Windows, then I would just install wine or something.

As for "lack of everything", it isn't lacking "everything". Quite the opposite, it meets 100% of my needs. Generally, when people think Linux "lacks in everything" or is "too confusing" it is because they haven't given either a real effort of actually learning to use it, or they are expecting it to be just like another system.

Linux meets 100% of my daily personal computing needs for an operating system.
Linux meets 100% of my daily business computing needs for an operating system.

Your needs may not be the same as everyone elses, however, millions of other people do in fact use it on a daily basis and are quite happy with it.

Perhaps rather than coming at it with the attitude of "it lacks everything", you could provide a little more information such as what you feel it lacks, what you need to do, and why you need it, and then perhaps we could assist you in helping you determine if Linux is the right solution for your needs.

- Jack | zipperback
:popcorn:

mindtrick
July 23rd, 2007, 05:16 PM
Ubuntu was the distro that made me stay on Linux and not turn to Windows completely again. Everything works perfect on Ubuntu, I can even get my fonts look better than Windows fonts. Another aspect is the community. You ask a question and get your answer in a few minutes.

Old Pink
July 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Couldn't name a single thing it lacks.

Come back when you have an argument worth arguing.

aysiu
July 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Of course Ubuntu lacks some things. It doesn't lack everything--otherwise no one would use except a handful of developers. I know I wouldn't use it if it lacked everything.

But if it didn't lack anything, there wouldn't need to be six-month releases. Why have a new release at all if nothing can be improved?

These are all the things the developers have planned for the upcoming release:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/

Doesn't sound as if there's nothing it lacks. Balance, people. Balance.

Jellicletrb
July 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Because they like it?

That would be me :)

And I'm about as everyday ordinary schmuck as you can get.

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM

What do you want to do that you cannot? If you want to use Windows or a Mac, you're free to do so, remember.

tszanon
July 23rd, 2007, 06:15 PM
I've been using Ubuntu since Breezy. When I figure out how to play my windows games under Wine, I'm gone get some extra free space for Ubuntu.

/me hopes Starcraft2 and Hellgate: London will be "wine-compatible" or linux-native...

Old Pink
July 23rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
If you want to use Windows or a Mac, you're free to do so, remember.

If you want to use a Windows or a Mac, you're charged to do so, remember.

^ You were close, but not quite right. ;)

alejandro.mc
July 23rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Because I'm free. I'm not chained to anyone or anything. To understand open source you have to be open minded.

It looks like for the moment you'll have to keep paying Mr. Gates' penthouse and private jets..

See you on the otherside =)

zipperback
January 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM

Lacking in what regard? It lacks Viruses and Spyware. And admittedly it lacks the ability to play the really high end games, but for that there is always the PS3. And even then, alot of games for Window$ can be played on Linux with the correct system configuration and use of things like Wine and it's variants.

I use Ubuntu Linux 100% for all my business and personal needs. It isn't lacking anything that I need.

And I've been using computers since the late 70's (1977 to be more precise). First personal computers I ever used was an Apple ][ and a TRS-80. So I do have plenty of experience with computers. First computer I personally owned was an Apple //e.

Here is a link to the specifcations to the first compuer I ever owned.
http://www.apple-history.com/body.php?page=gallery&model=aIIe&performa=off&sort=date&order=DESC

- zipperback
:popcorn: