PDA

View Full Version : GUI Ndiswrapper Tool

poofyhairguy
July 21st, 2005, 02:22 AM
Retrix was nice enough to give me what I really wanted for Christmas- a GUI ndiswrapper tool.

I got ahold of an Ubuntu laptop. A screenshot is attached.

Retrix is currently going through the proper channels. I was asked to build a presence for the tool in the forum to improve bug testing.

If people are interested enough, it will get its own third party forum.

Contact me or Retrix about bugs. Here is newest deb:

http://www.users.on.net/~spohlenz/ubuntu/ndisgtk_0.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

Put in home folder. Install this this command:

sudo dpkg -i ndisgtk_0.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

Then run it this way:

gksudo ndisgtk

Stormy Eyes
July 21st, 2005, 02:29 AM
I'd do it, but I don't have any Wifi gear. My home network is strictly Ethernet.

poofyhairguy
August 4th, 2005, 09:00 AM
bump

kiddo
August 4th, 2005, 09:02 AM
what if my ndiswrapper is already set up? What should I test?

Okay, here are my first comments:

The program runs fine, but it needs root privileges (duh).
You need to do something else with the help button.
You need to do a gnome menu entry.
Ndisgtk doesn't check in realtime for hardware plugged or not. It should, if possible.
Removing a driver works. Adding it back does not.
Here is a screenshot:
http://www.imgreactor.com/display/5734/Screenshot-Wireless_Network_Drivers.png

Edit: tried removing and putting back my realtek driver, it did not work. Sad. "Not a valid driver .inf file"
Ndiswrapper still works.

jeff@kitsune:~/Desktop$ sudo ndiswrapper -i /home/jeff/driver-linksys-realtek/NET8180.INF
Installing net8180
jeff@kitsune:~/Desktop$ ndiswrapper -l Installed ndis drivers:
net8180 driver present

P.s.: thanks for making a .deb

Burgundavia
August 4th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Retrik, it is pretty easy to get stuff into Ubuntu. Contact the MOTUs in #ubuntu-motu on how to get it into Ubuntu.

Corey

poofyhairguy
August 4th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Edit: tried removing and putting back my realtek driver, it did not work. Sad. "Not a valid driver .inf file"
Ndiswrapper still works.

jeff@kitsune:~/Desktop$ sudo ndiswrapper -i /home/jeff/driver-linksys-realtek/NET8180.INF
Installing net8180
jeff@kitsune:~/Desktop$ ndiswrapper -l Installed ndis drivers:
net8180 driver present

What ndiswrapper are you using? Ubuntus or a compiled one?

kiddo
August 4th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Ubuntu's ndiswrapper, I especially wanted to get rid of the complicated (and unclean, in my taste) compiled one, even if it was newer. I prefer the synaptic way.

ndiswrapper-utils version is 0.12+1.0rc2-1 (hoary)
I have uploaded my chipset driver (discovered a long time ago that taking the driver directly from linksys was no good) here for your testing convenience if you want: http://public.nanokron.info/upload/NET8180.INF

poofyhairguy
August 4th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Retrik, it is pretty easy to get stuff into Ubuntu. Contact the MOTUs in #ubuntu-motu on how to get it into Ubuntu.

Corey

Retrix is working under Oliver Grawert, a Motu.

We just need to help bug test and such.

poofyhairguy
August 4th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Ubuntu's ndiswrapper, I especially wanted to get rid of the complicated (and unclean, in my taste) compiled one, even if it was newer. I prefer the synaptic way.

Ok.

Let me file a bug report.

kiddo
August 4th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I hope I was of some help ;) (don't forget to see my previous post, I edited it to include some more stuff for you)

Retrix
August 4th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Hi,

Firstly thanks for starting this thread poofyhairguy.
Thanks for revealing a bug kiddo. The program expects the .inf extension to be lowercase. This will be fixed in the next version. For now, renaming the file will work.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

-Sam

ubuntu_demon
August 4th, 2005, 10:41 AM
good work Retrix
thnx for starting this thread poofy!

I don't own wireless stuff but I think a lot of users would really like this!

Should I recommend this the next time a user has problems with ndiswrapper ?

ssck
August 4th, 2005, 10:57 AM
nice work

poofyhairguy
August 4th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Should I recommend this the next time a user has problems with ndiswrapper ?

Not yet. Lets get some more testing done. When it is ready, it will be in the Universe.

pailhead
August 5th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Retrix was nice enough to give me what I really wanted for Christmas- a GUI ndiswrapper tool.

I got ahold of an Ubuntu laptop. A screenshot is attached.

Retrix is currently going through the proper channels. I was asked to build a presence for the tool in the forum to improve bug testing.

If people are interested enough, it will get its own third party forum.

Can we get it for AMD64 machines? I've got a 64bit machine and this deb won't install...

Retrix
August 5th, 2005, 03:03 AM
I'm not an expert on building deb packages (this was my first) but I will look into building an architecture independent deb. It is after all just a python program that should work on any platform.

Any particular errors that dpkg gives you?

Cheers,
Sam

blakamin
August 5th, 2005, 04:05 AM
I'll give it a go in about 3 hours... if thats any help.

I'm away from my home network (at work :mad: ) and have just finished a fresh install on a new (to me) laptop, so I'll give it a go the moment I can get some internet access to this lappy... I'm running a dell l400 and a linksys wpc54g (or buffalo airstation, depending what I'm up to)

Retrix
August 5th, 2005, 07:20 AM
I'll give it a go in about 3 hours... if thats any help.

I'm away from my home network (at work :mad: ) and have just finished a fresh install on a new (to me) laptop, so I'll give it a go the moment I can get some internet access to this lappy... I'm running a dell l400 and a linksys wpc54g (or buffalo airstation, depending what I'm up to)
Please note that the current version will not automatically load the ndiswrapper module or run 'ndiswrapper -m' to have it autoload on bootup. This functionality will come in the next version.

blakamin
August 5th, 2005, 08:03 AM
I actually keep getting
cannot accss archive: no such file or directory
so i might wait for your next version ;-)

after my reinstall... :-P

ubuntu_demon
August 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Not yet. Lets get some more testing done. When it is ready, it will be in the Universe.
ok

SKLP
August 7th, 2005, 04:31 PM
nice work :)

Retrix
August 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Hi,

I've posted a new version up at http://www.users.on.net/~spohlenz/ubuntu/ndisgtk_0.3-1_all.deb.

Changes include:
* It should now work on all architectures (packaging issue)
* Help buttons removed for now (are they necessary?)
* Modules automatically set to load on bootup
* Menu icon in System->Administration->Windows Wireless Drivers

Thanks for all the comments so far,
-Sam Pohlenz

mobo
August 9th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Sorry for being a complete newb here but could someone offer some insight as to this error I recieved and what I should do next ?

Unpacking replacement ndisgtk ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ndisgtk:
ndisgtk depends on ndiswrapper-utils; however:
Package ndiswrapper-utils is not installed.
dpkg: error processing ndisgtk (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
ndisgtk

poofyhairguy
August 9th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Sorry for being a complete newb here but could someone offer some insight as to this error I recieved and what I should do next ?

You need ndiswrapper:

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper

mobo
August 9th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I did that through synaptics. Then retried the first command and got a different piece of feedback. Something about it being locked..UGH

poofyhairguy
August 9th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I did that through synaptics. Then retried the first command and got a different piece of feedback. Something about it being locked..UGH

close synaptic.

mobo
August 9th, 2005, 11:03 PM
I rebooted as well. Then retried the first command and it all seemed to go. Now the second command..Hmmm, guess I need a driver file at this point...Any idea where I might find a wlan 1370 for a dell unit..?

mobo
August 10th, 2005, 12:49 AM
I took the inf file from a windows download and put it in the home directory. The ran the second cammand, selected that driver and clicked the appropriate button. However I have the same image as you have posted in the first post saying that the gardware was not present..

Any thoughts ?

Retrix
August 10th, 2005, 12:49 AM
I rebooted as well. Then retried the first command and it all seemed to go. Now the second command..Hmmm, guess I need a driver file at this point...Any idea where I might find a wlan 1370 for a dell unit..?

Check out http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List.

-Sam

mobo
August 10th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Ok I have the correct drivers in place and the ndisgtk reports so. Now I rebooted and there was still no wireless connection so I ask "what else please and thank you"

Retrix
August 10th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Ok I have the correct drivers in place and the ndisgtk reports so. Now I rebooted and there was still no wireless connection so I ask "what else please and thank you"

Now is the time to go into your network properties (System->Administration->Networking) and set up your (presumably) wlan0 network interface. You'll probably just need to set an essid, set to dhcp and activate. Good luck.

-Sam

MetalMusicAddict
August 10th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Man, This is so sick. I just got my 60gig laptop drive back from RMA. Im gonna swap out the 30 in my Dell laptop and do a clean install of Hoary just to give this a try. Too cool. Hope it gets in the repo. ;)

Just so Im not mistaken; This will install the driver then I configure the card in the Network Preferences like normal and Ndiswrapper will load at start-up. Right?

mobo
August 10th, 2005, 01:35 AM
And I thought my days frustrations were over....There is only the modem and ethernet connection there.. No wlan of any sort..

SKLP
August 10th, 2005, 01:36 AM
This or something like this should IMHO be included in breezy+1.

mobo
August 10th, 2005, 02:14 AM
I found the last remaining piece of the puzzle.

sudo gedit /etc/modules

Add ndiswrapper to the end of this, save and close. When your machine reboots, it will find the Wireless Adaptor and start it up.

Thanks to all, I now get to fully experience the power of open source and perhaps even make the switch for good.

MetalMusicAddict
August 13th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Ok. I just tryed this on a Dell Inspiron 2200 with a fresh install of Breezy Colony-2 using the bcmwl5.inf. I took the upgrades that Synaptic offered after install, then rebooted.

-I used this: http://www.users.on.net/~spohlenz/ubuntu/ndisgtk_0.3-1_all.deb version.

-Installed with the "Install .DEB with Right-click" script found on the fourms.

-Ran "gksudo ndisgtk" to launch the app.

-Installed the driver just fine but after a reboot it didnt show in the Network config GUI. So I "sudo modprobe ndiswrapper" to run ndiswrapper. Then it came up.

-Then like mobo said "sudo gedit /etc/modules" Add ndiswrapper to the end of this, save and close." I also had to manually config the "/etc/network/interfaces". Reboot.

-Configure away.

I have a spare drive now so if you need something tested I dont mind. ;)

mobo
August 13th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Glad you have it as well. In addition there is also a thread in relation to the touchpad issue locate here so feel free...
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=52920

MetalMusicAddict
August 13th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Glad you have it as well. In addition there is also a thread in relation to the touchpad issue locate here so feel free...
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=52920
Thanx. That was annoying. ;)

mobo
August 13th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Just repaying for some assistance i recieved. You should also bookmark this page:

http://ubuntuguide.org/

greenwom
August 13th, 2005, 04:37 AM
I just installed Hoary on a new (old) Latitude LS, I'll give this a wirl and see how it goes. I've already gotten a Linksys WPC11 working on my sony but have yet to get it up and running on the Latitude so... Looks like fun

\\:D/

Retrix
August 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Hi,

I've just uploaded the latest version to http://users.on.net/~spohlenz/ubuntu/ndisgtk_0.4-1_all.deb. Changes include:
- a button to load the network configuration tool
- automatically loads the ndiswrapper module and sets it to load on boot

Whilst these improvements are relatively small, I think they will make a significant difference in terms of ease of use. I would be particularly interested in hearing how people on new installs go.

Again, thanks for all the feedback,
Sam Pohlenz

MetalMusicAddict
August 18th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Cool. Ill try it on the Colony-3 release today. I did a fresh install last night. ;)

greenwom
August 20th, 2005, 05:37 AM
I tried it on the Latitude LS and no luck, not the GUI's problem. I had to compile ndiswrapper from source. (Still doesn't work). GUI looks good

Retrix
August 24th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Thanks to my SoC mentor, Oliver Grawert, ndisgtk is now in the Breezy Universe repositories. If you are running Breezy, its now a simple matter of enabling universe and running 'sudo apt-get install ndisgtk'. Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback. If you have any more, please don't hesitate.

poofyhairguy
August 24th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Thanks to my SoC mentor, Oliver Grawert, ndisgtk is now in the Breezy Universe repositories. If you are running Breezy, its now a simple matter of enabling universe and running 'sudo apt-get install ndisgtk'. Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback. If you have any more, please don't hesitate.

awesome.