PDA

View Full Version : What to do with server?!

m3lt
July 21st, 2007, 05:53 AM
So...I'm a complete newb with Ubuntu. I've downloaded it several times, installed then uninstalled after a few weeks. MS has me...Trying to break free. Anyway, I ended up with a pretty nice spare laptop. I am installing 7.04 server on it as I type. I am doing this as a learning experience mostly. My question...

What can I do with it?

That may seem like a silly question...but again this is merely to learn. Not just linux but anything that can be learned while actively using the machine. Whether that be on the server it self or remotely.

Any ideas? Keep in mind I am a newb...ie "Write a script in perl to measure the circumference of the world!" will not work well.:) But seems time consuming.

Thanks!

bbzbryce
July 21st, 2007, 07:16 AM
1. Make a simple file server for streaming videos to an xbox you may have.
2. Install apache and make a simple local website.

There are tons of things to do, but why bother if you have no need for them?

meierfra
July 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM
You might enjoy this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=387598

m3lt
July 21st, 2007, 07:40 AM
1. Make a simple file server for streaming videos to an xbox you may have.
2. Install apache and make a simple local website.

There are tons of things to do, but why bother if you have no need for them?

75% of the applications on my windows machine are never used...I just enjoy tinkering. I guess its a hobby.

Which is why I figured server is next step. I have successfully setup and run several ubuntu machines but I am just looking for a new challenge. My mind is stagnant without something stirring it :D Now I just need to find something to actually DO with it.

To meierfra:

I installed GNOME so most of that is already installed. I'm not really partial to gnome or cmd line, its just familiar since I learned on it. I am still trying to grasp what each of the commands actually are. simply typing sudo apt-get without knowing what it actually means is like just clicking links. except its a copy/paste. But always good to have references for commands

lenaubry
July 21st, 2007, 07:50 AM
I've been using Fiesty for 6 weeks now and it's made 2 major changes to my PC usage

1. I've stopped playing world of warcraft ( just cant be bothered to log into winxp as i prefer being in Linux)(and yes i am aware it runs in wine) been 3 weeks since i last looked upon that green hill :D

2. I've started to learn Python.

The other thing i've noticed since i've been 'toying' with Linux is the way it causes you to shoot off in different directions and try new things with your PC.

I was in exactly the same place as you when i first sat in-front of Linux.

Happy Days!

Canuckelhead
July 21st, 2007, 07:51 AM
In order to learn I set up a server that had a nice address list as well as allow me access to any of the files that I use regularly... I used DYNDNS since I don't have a static IP. I'd be very careful hosting addresses...

I am currently working on new web aps for everything I can think of. I do this to tinker but it's nice to have some stuff ready to go for when you want to incorporate it into an app someday.

Have a look at MySQL if you haven't already... It can stir the imagination... You can do sooooo much with a data base!

If you're looking for a "Million Dollar Idea" I sell those on EBay for only $500k or 2 for $900k! CHEAP!