PDA

View Full Version : Why is Adobe Reader so slow?!

Extreme Coder
July 21st, 2007, 05:43 AM
I know KPDF and Evince are out there, but some of my friends are the type who would only want to open a PDF with that, anyway:
Adobe Reader starts slower than OpenOffice here, and I want to know why and how can this be fixed.
I can't remember the WIndows version being THIS slow.

Thanks.

Cappy
July 21st, 2007, 06:55 AM
Maybe disable all the stupid modules/plug-ins/add-ons or whatever that come with it.

jrusso2
July 21st, 2007, 07:35 AM
Adobe Acrobat Reader is bloated junk its slow on windows too. At least on windows you can use foxit reader though.

kerry_s
July 21st, 2007, 07:45 AM
Adobe Acrobat Reader is bloated junk its slow on windows too. At least on windows you can use foxit reader though.

i agree, it's major bloatware.

stmiller
July 21st, 2007, 08:35 AM
On Windows the Foxit reader is the best. Just a single exe, opens in a flash. Free.

teet
July 21st, 2007, 08:57 AM
It probably opens faster in windows because it preloads itself on startup.

I always turn the preloading off and it takes a considerable amount of time to load up the first time, much like open office.

I often use adobe in linux as well. It's slow to load, but evince screws up a lot of pdf fonts for me.

-teet

RomeReactor
July 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM
Well, all the plugins and options that most of us don't use are probably the main reason for it being slow; however, I think it's using Wine libraries (as Picasa does), so the fact (I think) that it's not a native application may have to do with it's memory footprint and speed. Just look at the aliased text (both in Picasa and Acrobat) and how the mouse pointer changes when you move it inside the window (not how it changes to a hand; move it along the scroolbar, or the menus below the main menu--File, Edit, etc). It looks like the only things they bothered making native are the window borders and main menu.

xlinuks
July 21st, 2007, 10:28 AM
"It probably opens faster in windows because it preloads itself on startup." Prolly. And because many companies pay more attention to the windows version of their product.
Nevertheless, Adobe Reader is indeed slow on both OSes. I Installed Adobe reader 7 than switched back to Evince the same day.