PDA

View Full Version : Most critical feature in The GIMP

phrostbyte
July 21st, 2007, 03:01 AM
What do you think is the most critical feature / enhancement you'd like to see added to The GIMP?

%hMa@?b<C
July 21st, 2007, 03:09 AM
i think that a gui change to make it look like Photoshop would be very good. Many people are used to photoshop and prefer something that looks like it.When I first switched, I used krita because it was more familiar.

@trophy
July 21st, 2007, 03:12 AM
GimpShop exists, but it doesn't do enough. I want to show Adobe that their stuff isn't worth $800.

%hMa@?b<C
July 21st, 2007, 03:15 AM
GimpShop exists, but it doesn't do enough. I want to show Adobe that their stuff isn't worth $800.

yeah, I agree that GimpSHOP doesn't push it enough. Anyone who thinks that it is hasn't looked at photoshop or krita for that matter.

FuturePilot
July 21st, 2007, 03:41 AM
It needs more filters and tools. But please please please leave the GUI alone. I like it the way it is.

CarpKing
July 21st, 2007, 03:46 AM
It would be nice if they'd make the multiple windows play nicer with window lists and such, but in general I like the GUI. CMYK and such is coming with GEGL. I think what I want most at this point is a 2.4 release so they can get started on 2.6.

iceportal
July 21st, 2007, 03:55 AM
Honestly, the only problem I've got with the system so far is the GUI - mainly the fact that the image overlaps the tools if you maximize, and you do a lot of alt-tab... I believe I've been spoiled by Photoshop a bit.

I believe Photoshop is the industry standard. I would like to see more Photoshop-like functionality out of the Gimp, but I don't know if the Gimp will ever reach a point of being competitive with Photoshop.

If I knew a graphics professional seeking a good image editing software, I'd suggest Photoshop, because of the sheer power it posesses. But I'd only suggest this for graphics professionals who need that kind of power. Most people, who would do fine with the simpler Photoshop Elements, I would suggest using Gimp or Krita or Pixel, as they contain pretty much all the functionality those users would need.

Gimp, Krita, and Pixel do almost anything the ordinary user needs. But Photoshop isn't about to be replaced. At least, not anytime soon. (Though Pixel is showing itself to be a viable contender.)

mrgnash
July 21st, 2007, 03:59 AM
I am disappointed by the number of votes for GUI design to resemble Photoshop. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it does nothing to dignify the imitator.

I voted for more filters/tools. That, along with CMYK support, is what the GIMP really *needs*; it doesn't need to pander to the people too lazy to learn a new interface, anymore than the Gnome DE itself does.

Spike-X
July 21st, 2007, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't think that being able to put a stroke (outline) around text would be too much to ask for.

~LoKe
July 21st, 2007, 10:54 AM
I just want the windows to all be freakin' attached.

super breadfish
July 21st, 2007, 11:28 AM
If GIMP ever started to use a Photoshop-style GUI I would stop using it. IMO Photoshop's GUI is one of the worst pieces of software ever designed.
At first I found the multiple windows of GIMP a tad confusing, but it actually makes perfect sense. Keeping toolbars etc separate gives a lot more desktop space to display the actual image.

3rdalbum
July 21st, 2007, 11:49 AM
First things first: Support for the CMYK colour space.
Second: RAW support.
Third: Have the toolbox and layer windows floating over all other windows, and have them disappear when GIMP is backgrounded. Just like Photoshop on the Mac. Otherwise, it's just too many mouseclicks when you're switching between your graphics editor and something else.

Obor
July 21st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Third: Have the toolbox and layer windows floating over all other windows, and have them disappear when GIMP is backgrounded. Just like Photoshop on the Mac. Otherwise, it's just too many mouseclicks when you're switching between your graphics editor and something else.

+1
exactly my thoughts

Paul820
July 21st, 2007, 12:00 PM
I am disappointed by the number of votes for GUI design to resemble Photoshop. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it does nothing to dignify the imitator.

I voted for more filters/tools. That, along with CMYK support, is what the GIMP really *needs*; it doesn't need to pander to the people too lazy to learn a new interface, anymore than the Gnome DE itself does.

Totally agree here, i think the interface is fine as it is. It's quite handy when reading tutorials on a webpage. Also i can have two views of the same image on one monitor, one zoomed and one normal. The developers don't want it to look like photoshop, that's the way they designed it. I read somewhere that they were really annoyed that gimpshop made gimp look like photohop. They can make it look like photoshop very easily, they just don't want to. All they have to do is change some xml stuff and reposition the icons.

Found the article: http://grimthing.com/archives/2007/01/11/Gimp_vs_Photoshop/

jkblacker
July 21st, 2007, 12:30 PM
Definitely CMYK; I look forward to this being standard.

rax_m
July 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM
In Linux you can easily set the Gimp tools windows to "Always be on top" and then the image is never in the background. When the tool comes in the way.. double-click the title bar and you can shade the window...

I agree with the CMYK and raw support though.

Arathorn
July 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
It doesn't have to become a Photoshop clone, but please, one window!

slimdog360
July 21st, 2007, 01:52 PM
after using photoshop on a Mac and seeing as how the interface is similar to gimp, that is with the windows separate, I don't think there could be any problem with the interface of gimp. Its just whiny people. MS office for the Mac also takes on the separate window structure.

mrgnash
July 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't think that being able to put a stroke (outline) around text would be too much to ask for.

On text layer: alpha to selection, stroke outline.

I also strongly agree with the people above who cite the multi-window interface to offer several distinct advantages; really, I can't see what the attraction of Photoshop's interface, with its useless gray background which blocks anything else you might want to look at, actually is. I'm inclined to think that the preference is not based on any rational consideration, but only what people are used to. That's fine, but don't expect the GIMP developers to switch to a retrograde interface just because you've been fooling around with Photoshop. And if you're really so inflexible that you must have a carbon copy of your favourite Adobe program, I suggest Gimpshop, VMWare, CXOffice, Wine, or what-have-you.

jiminycricket
July 21st, 2007, 05:50 PM
I think a redesign to GNOME HIG is really important. Can't you detach GNOME toolbars from the main window? So then you would have the same functionality but with greater effect since then everyone's happy.

a12ctic
July 21st, 2007, 06:04 PM
Photoshop's GUI is terrible, who would vote for that...

stmiller
July 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM
Missing critical option:

Open/Edit 16bit images. GIMP only handles 8bit images.

This is not just for those high quality 16bit photos. But any 16bit image holds more information.

The GIMP mailing list has said this feature 'is coming,' but no time line. Maybe GIMP 3.x.... ?

phrostbyte
July 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM
I voted for redesign to conform to the Gnome HIG.

In fact I believe that's one of the planned feature in the next 2.x revision to The GIMP

Crashmaxx
July 21st, 2007, 08:39 PM
I voted that it needs to resemble Photoshop more. But what I really think is that GimpShop needs to resemble Photoshop more. Then maybe we could see a lot more people stop being held up by that.

I also would like to see more How-To's and guides to use the Gimp. There are SOO many for Photoshop that even someone as unskilled as me can do a ton. But currently I can barely get the Gimp to do all my normal photo tasks, much less any cool effects.

So I guess I mean it would be nice if someone could follow along with a Photoshop tutorial using GimpShop and have no problem. If that was the case, any still complaining about the Gimp would be truly just talking out their rear.

strabes
July 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Layer styles/blending options anyone?

agurk
July 21st, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'd like to be able to draw a rectangle. Or a circle. Still haven't been able to figure out how to.

Spike-X
July 22nd, 2007, 01:07 AM
On text layer: alpha to selection, stroke outline.

Thanks.

It seems to be stroking the inside of the text, rather than around the outside though. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm picking Layer > Transparency > Alpha To Selection (I know you didn't include the Transparency part, but that's the only place I could find Alpha To Selection)

then Edit > Stroke To Selection.

I'll fool around with it some more. At least now I know it can be done in some fashion.

shen-an-doah
July 22nd, 2007, 01:20 AM
I've gotta say, I definitely don't want it "more like Photoshop". I like the seperate windows as it means I can have an image fullscreen and then just bring up the tools dialog with alt+tab.

Anything I disliked about the programme has pretty much been fixed in 2.3. I can't wait for 2.4 as it should be even better :)

saulgoode
July 22nd, 2007, 01:26 AM
It seems to be stroking the inside of the text, rather than around the outside though. Am I doing something wrong?

No, you are not doing anything wrong. Almost all operations (and, in particular, the "painting" ones) restrict themselves to only affecting the selected region. When you stroke the selection, you end up only painting the half that is selected -- e.g., if you stroke along the selection with a brush 6 pixels wide, three pixels will fall inside the selection and get painted but three pixels will try to paint outside the selection and won't get painted.

You could "Select->Invert" after doing Alpha To Selection and this would draw outside the text. Or, as an alternative, you could perform a "Select->To Path" followed by an "Edit->Stroke Path" (this actually results in a smoother outline than stroking the selection).

Spike-X
July 22nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
I found a better way to do it. At least I know it can be done now!

original_jamingrit
July 22nd, 2007, 02:14 AM
The GUI, the functions, the name, everything is perfect as far as I'm concerned! Although, I'm still learning my way around it. If I was a bit more familiar with everything, I'd have a better idea of what else I'd like to see in it.

The windows and GUIs used now is just fine, whenever I do work in the GIMP I have viewport set aside just for its windows.

MetalMusicAddict
July 22nd, 2007, 02:23 AM
To redesign the UI to be more like Photoshop is a totally weak idea. With that said it can use some refinement. So with that in mind, there's the ingimp (http://ingimp.org) project.

keifer
July 22nd, 2007, 02:53 AM
um, no "Other" option?

The gimp is in major need of an overhaul. I really wish that they would tag 2.3 as stable, and start working on completing and integrating gelg (http://www.gegl.org/).

dmizer
July 22nd, 2007, 03:17 AM
It doesn't have to become a Photoshop clone, but please, one window!

easy ... just click on what you want in your main window ... and drag it there.

just have to look for the right place to drag 'em to. there's several places, but the easiest one to describe is at the bottom of the main gimp window. hover your mouse over it, and the little tool tip should pop up and tell you "You can drop dockable dialogs here". it's just below the "save", "undo", "trash", and "reset to default" icons.

there's also a dock-to section between the tool list and the options dialog, as well as other locations.

benx009
July 22nd, 2007, 03:22 AM
i'm sorry to say this (no, actually i'm not) but when you compare the gimp w/ photoshop, it's like comparing the unusable disc-burning feature that comes w/ windows to nero ultra (random i know lol). but seriously, photoshop is much easier to use than the gimp and at the same time, it provides much more features. i know that the creators of the gimp are really trying their best, but i don't think the gimp will ever compare to photoshop like firefox compares to internet explorer. well, at least imho.

but then again, photoshop is $650:lolflag:

mrgnash
July 22nd, 2007, 03:57 AM
i'm sorry to say this (no, actually i'm not) but when you compare the gimp w/ photoshop, it's like comparing the unusable disc-burning feature that comes w/ windows to nero ultra (random i know lol). but seriously, photoshop is much easier to use than the gimp and at the same time, it provides much more features. i know that the creators of the gimp are really trying their best, but i don't think the gimp will ever compare to photoshop like firefox compares to internet explorer. well, at least imho.

but then again, photoshop is $650:lolflag:

I have used both extensively, and I don't find Photoshop 'much easier to use'; so where does that leave your argument?

saulgoode
July 22nd, 2007, 04:03 AM
For those who have voted for better conformance with GNOME HIG, would you be so kind as to specify the areas where the GIMP does not comply?

teet
July 22nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
I voted that it needs to resemble Photoshop more. But what I really think is that GimpShop needs to resemble Photoshop more. Then maybe we could see a lot more people stop being held up by that.

I really like this idea. I am more comfortable with photoshop than with gimp. I really don't have enough time to relearn how to do everything in gimp. Thus, for me, I would rather have the gimp developers try to clone photoshop.

However, I do realize that many people are accustomed to the gimp interface or prefer it over photoshop's. So perhaps the best compromise would be a fork of the project.

-teet

saulgoode
July 22nd, 2007, 06:12 AM
However, I do realize that many people are accustomed to the gimp interface or prefer it over photoshop's. So perhaps the best compromise would be a fork of the project.

That compromise has already been made. Scott Moschella has started his own project to create a PS clone using the GIMP as a starting point. When he started the project, all of the GIMP developers who wanted to help him left the GIMP project to do so; all of the language translators working on the GIMP's foreign language support who wanted to, also joined Scott's project; as did all of the documentation writers working on the GIMP's manuals and tutorials who wished to help Scott's project. The fact that the number of "all" these people was equal to "0" is hardly any fault of the GIMP development team -- they are volunteers who have the right to work on whatever project they wish.

potentia
November 6th, 2007, 01:57 AM
ALL of this:

http://www.gegl.org/

Without it... no GIMP.

-grubby
November 6th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I can't even use the GIMP. Its way too confusing. A GUI redesign should be one of their priorities

kopinux
November 6th, 2007, 03:01 AM
shapes and objects? i havent use the new gimp but i think it needs a shapes line tool, or it already have one?

shapes like balloons for comics. an ellipse or rectangle like tool but it makes lines instead of cropping/cutting.

about the GUI, for me is fine, it just needs practice.

LookTJ
November 6th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I like the GUI better than PS CS2. It needs more tools and filters.

tdrusk
November 6th, 2007, 04:01 AM
I would like a magnetic lasso.

I would also like it to give you the option of using 3 different windows or one big window.

50words
November 6th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Better text tools and rendering.

The rest I can deal with.

HermanAB
November 6th, 2007, 04:27 AM
The Gimp is perfect as is. Wussies that complain about the UI, should go back to running MS Paint on Windows ME or maybe Turtle Graphics on their Apple II.

-grubby
November 6th, 2007, 04:36 AM
The Gimp is perfect as is. Wussies that complain about the UI, should go back to running MS Paint on Windows ME or maybe Turtle Graphics on their Apple II.

if the UI prevents me from being productive at all than I think theres a change called for

HermanAB
November 6th, 2007, 05:32 AM
If the UI prevents you from being productive then you should RTFM!

Yes of course I am joking...
;)

potentia
November 6th, 2007, 10:07 PM
If you guys were presidents, then the world would be full of tyrannies.

Linuxratty
November 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM

You know it..And when I have several windows open at once and am using the same tool,but different colors,I'll find I'm placing the wrong color in the wrong window...I find it has some other little quirks that annoy me.

hessiess
November 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM
on mac, photoshop acts simaler to gimp, with floting windows, but there is only one icon on the dok

i think gimp needs more layer blending options

i dont want gimp to turn into a photoshop clone, whats the point in that??

K.Mandla
November 7th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Speaking from experience, if the Gimp could handle CMYK separation correctly and without external plugins, it would be an option for a lot more four-color press systems. (Unless the Gimp's CMYK system has changed in the last six months or so.)

bruce89
November 7th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Once GIMP uses GEGL, many things will be better.

kopinux
November 7th, 2007, 02:13 AM
i also like it as GIF animation software, good thing they integrated the animation plug-in in the new version.
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/2455/folder2sa5.gif

fuscia
November 7th, 2007, 04:41 AM
more filters and tools. i also don't like the changes to cropping in the latest version.

i don't get why people whine about the seperate windows. photoshop has a bunch of windows, but they're all stuck in one box.

HermanAB
November 7th, 2007, 04:58 AM
I like the separate windows interface of Gimp, Sane and others. This allows you to easily drag dialogues to another screen to get them off the screen you are editing on.

Using Photoshop on a multi screen system must be really painful.

tdrusk
November 18th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I installed KDE recently and found out that Krita has a magnetic lasso. I'm so happy.

ntowakbh
November 18th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I chose perfect as is, and hit vote...then I noticed the "More Filters / Tools" option...

I wouldn't mind having a way to switch between a multi-window interface, and a single-window interface. Though it was hard to get used to the multi-window thing at first, I still like it, but I would also like to try it single-windowed, to see which I like better.