PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody using the Opera Web Browser in Linux?

Pages : [1] 2

RAV TUX
July 21st, 2007, 01:16 AM
Opera 9.22... is Simply awesome...anybody else using Opera 9.22 in Linux?

This is a multiple choice enabled poll.

Post your TOP FIVE favorite Firefox extensions here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=505885&page=3

Tmi
July 21st, 2007, 01:19 AM
Would be nice to hear what's so nice about it. Never used it myself.

fuscia
July 21st, 2007, 01:19 AM
does the mplayer plugin work?

LookTJ
July 21st, 2007, 01:26 AM
I simply do not use Opera because it is not open. Ever since 2.0.0.5 firefox update. Firefox has been faster then ever.

RAV TUX
July 21st, 2007, 01:36 AM

Yes.

http://my.opera.com/saito/blog/2007/04/09/mplayer-plugin-for-linux

yabbadabbadont
July 21st, 2007, 01:40 AM
Yay! You included my favorite poll option (again). :D

RAV TUX
July 21st, 2007, 01:43 AM
Would be nice to hear what's so nice about it. Never used it myself.

1. Faster then most other browsers(especially Firefox)
2. More stable then most other browsers(especially Firefox)
3. The built in IRC chat client is a lot better then Xchat(about equal to Konversation)
4. The built in Torrent client is sufficient for all my torrent downloading needs, in fact I prefer it over all other Torrent clients.
5. Theme selection is better then themes in most other browsers(especially Firefox)
6. Widgets are first class, and extremely useful
7. I could go on & on....but I'll let others list more positive things from here....

RAV TUX
July 21st, 2007, 01:44 AM
Yay! You included my favorite poll option (again). :D

& I made it multiple choice for you ;)

emrextreme
July 21st, 2007, 01:47 AM
Waiting for the update package. :) Still using 9.21.

picpak
July 21st, 2007, 01:47 AM
I haven't noticed anything different from Opera 9.22 to Opera 9.21.

Kingsley
July 21st, 2007, 01:59 AM
There isn't much change from 9.20.. I still prefer Firefox.

LookTJ
July 21st, 2007, 01:59 AM
The other reasons I choose not to use it:

1. Opera on my computer is unstable
2. Opera is slower
3. it doesn't work as well on Linux as Windows.

emrextreme
July 21st, 2007, 02:06 AM

2. Opera is slower

1. Not on mine.
2. No way that suppose to be.
3. Sure. It works better, right? :)

TheMono
July 21st, 2007, 02:08 AM
1) Firefox has performed well enough for me
2) Firefox is Open
3) Firefox has the Google Browser Sync extension
4) Firefox has the Adblock Plus extension (Which, while you can get equivalent function in Opera, confused me)

RAV TUX
July 21st, 2007, 02:09 AM

2. Opera is slower

hmm I get exactly the opposite results with Opera:

1. Opera on my computer is more stable then any other Web Browser
2. Opera is faster on my computer then any other Web Browser
3. The Opera Web Browser works better in Linux then OS X or Windows

I use Opera in Oz GNOME 1.0...

FuturePilot
July 21st, 2007, 02:20 AM

Yeah does it? That's one of the big reasons I don't use Opera. I can never get that dang MPlayer plugin working. Works in Firefox though.....

RAV TUX
July 21st, 2007, 02:26 AM
Yes.

http://my.opera.com/saito/blog/2007/04/09/mplayer-plugin-for-linux

Yeah does it? That's one of the big reasons I don't use Opera. I can never get that dang MPlayer plugin working. Works in Firefox though.....

Yes it does ;) see the link above

saulgoode
July 21st, 2007, 02:27 AM
150% of the responses have responded.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just realized multiple responses were allowed (though none of the options seem that great).

FuturePilot
July 21st, 2007, 02:37 AM
Can't get Mplayer plugin working. Tried Gnome Mplayer too. Just that depressing white box:(

RAV TUX
July 21st, 2007, 02:37 AM
150% of the responses have responded.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just realized multiple responses were allowed (though none of the options seem that great).

Some other kind of ambivalent mindless random rambling...

Roll your own here in the thread ;)

RAV TUX
July 21st, 2007, 02:38 AM
Can't get Mplayer plugin working. Tried Gnome Mplayer too. Just that depressing white box:(

I have read it is only a problem in Ubuntu, but I can not confirm this.

Neostar
July 21st, 2007, 02:41 AM
I only use it to test web sites that i've made, but I can see why people like it, it's a well made browser :)

FuturePilot
July 21st, 2007, 02:43 AM
I have read it is only a problem in Ubuntu, but I can not confirm this.

Hmmm. Maybe I should try this out on another disrto.:)

Old Pink
July 21st, 2007, 02:46 AM
Firefox is better than Opera.

Open source, more plugins, more themes, nicer look, faster (in my experience), more supported, more often updated, impressive releases planned for future (http://www.mbhoy.com/05-07-2007/gran-paradiso-alpha-6).

The only stuff Opera has that firefox doesn't either sucks (speed dial, mouse gestures) or can be added via plugin (IRC, FTP) or, most commonly, both. ;)

scxtt
July 21st, 2007, 02:46 AM
i use opera all the time - even in vista ;) ... i have firefox installed on my linux boxes because for some reason zimbra doesn't not like opera (even when pretending to be IE/FF :() ...

smartboyathome
July 21st, 2007, 03:02 AM
To be honest, I used to use Opera a few weeks ago, but since the 2.0.0.5 update, I see no need for it (speed is not an issue now). Also, the lack of "extensions" for opera kind of turns me down.

starcraft.man
July 21st, 2007, 03:33 AM
Another opera thread... are we going to get one with every new release? More to the point, I gotta say the poll questions are obnoxious to say the least. Most especially "While I find that Opera is faster and more beautiful, I choose not to use Opera". Sounds like something a Mac fan boy would post (substituting all options for OS ones).

Anyway, I'm a sad pathetic Firefox user... supporting my FLOSS product with it's large selection of great extensions and themes. Woe is me...

gabhla
July 21st, 2007, 03:42 AM
Got to have Opera. Nothing at all wrong with Firefox, I like it and use it. But Opera is the one I prefer. It is (to me) faster, very customizable and easier to use and configure.

It comes down to whatever you're used to and prefer.

Extreme Coder
July 21st, 2007, 04:51 AM
I use Opera, but I want to know, does VLC plugin work with it? I never bothered to do that.

amgeex
July 21st, 2007, 05:05 AM
The thing is that Opera uses Qt on Linux, and I don't like that too much as I use gnome. It's true that Firefox uses XUL, but that blends better with the Gnome desktop. And Opera is way slow over here. Firefox 2.0.0.5 is quite nice! :D

Extreme Coder
July 21st, 2007, 05:17 AM
The thing is that Opera uses Qt on Linux, and I don't like that too much as I use gnome. It's true that Firefox uses XUL, but that blends better with the Gnome desktop. And Opera is way slow over here. Firefox 2.0.0.5 is quite nice! :D
At least in Opera the buttons like "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced" buttons on the bottom of this page look the same like the rest of the selected Opera theme.
In Firefox, the same mentioned buttons look like Windows ME :/ So much about being a cross-platform browser :P
I stopped using Firefox when it began treating Linux like a second-class citizen.

smartboyathome
July 21st, 2007, 06:06 AM
At least in Opera the buttons like "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced" buttons on the bottom of this page look the same like the rest of the selected Opera theme.
In Firefox, the same mentioned buttons look like Windows ME :/ So much about being a cross-platform browser :P
I stopped using Firefox when it began treating Linux like a second-class citizen.

Treating Linux like a second class citizen??? That is so far from reality it isn't even funny. Firefox is working WITH ubuntu to produce FF3, and that is treating Linux like a second class citizen??? I am sorry about this, I just hate it when people say something like that when it isn't even true.

slimdog360
July 21st, 2007, 07:35 AM
opera doesn't look all that pretty in gnome for me. Even though due to my computer dying on me Im using slax which is kde, but I haven't tried opera in slax yet.

RAV TUX
July 21st, 2007, 07:54 AM
I gotta say the poll questions are obnoxious to say the least. Most especially "While I find that Opera is faster and more beautiful, I choose not to use Opera". Sounds like something a Mac fan boy would post (substituting all options for OS ones).

hehe,.....my special brand of humor created just for you, glad you enjoyed it. ;)

mrazster
July 21st, 2007, 08:49 AM
Hey guys..I got ask.

How is the themeing support with Opera when you theme linux ?...especially if you like me use a dark theme. With Firefox you can i.e change the forms.css file to get text and searchbars e.t.c, the right colors. Also if I use the default color theme in Firefox it follows the gtk theme I use.

Will Opera do this to..?...or is it completly using it own themeing engines..so to speak.

tehkain
July 21st, 2007, 09:02 AM
Well if I wast addicted to appliance simplicty and gnome intergration I might of considered opera. I am addicted to epiphany and my python extensions.

Tho when i test web apps and the such in opera it works nicely. No complaints.

jpkotta
July 21st, 2007, 09:07 AM
mrazster,

AFAIK, Opera only has its own themes (called skins). There are many of them, and you can probably find one that fits. And you don't need to restart the browser to change the skin.

http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/

I don't mind the lack of extensions, because in Firefox I need to install a bunch of them just to make it as good as Opera (and then I need to keep them up to date and compatible with the version I'm using, etc.).

Opera is very stable for me. I just keep a session going and have several windows open, because new windows come up quickly then. My sessions usually last a week or two until something goes wrong.

I use the xine plugin. I don't think there's a package, I just compile it myself. It works great.

bailout
July 21st, 2007, 11:13 AM
Long time opera user here on both windows and linux.

One feature not often mentioned is the email client. Used this for several years now and it is great.

Extreme Coder
July 21st, 2007, 11:28 AM
Treating Linux like a second class citizen??? That is so far from reality it isn't even funny. Firefox is working WITH ubuntu to produce FF3, and that is treating Linux like a second class citizen??? I am sorry about this, I just hate it when people say something like that when it isn't even true.
I concluded that after using Firefox on my PC. YMMV.

bonzodog
July 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM
As much as I would love to give Firefox the kick, I am still waiting for a GTK2 browser that does not use the Gecko engine, but uses something like the gtk-html engine or Webkit.

RAV TUX
July 22nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
To be honest, I used to use Opera a few weeks ago, but since the 2.0.0.5 update, I see no need for it (speed is not an issue now). Also, the lack of "extensions" for opera kind of turns me down.
With 1263 widgets available I think you can find most things in Opera that are in Firefox...

like the Google Toolbar

http://widgets.opera.com/widget/4282

yabbadabbadont
July 23rd, 2007, 12:56 AM
like the Google Toolbar

Sounds like a good reason not to use either... :p :D

elinks for the win!

mrgnash
July 23rd, 2007, 01:26 AM
I gave Opera 9.22 a spin awhile back, and while I've always been a fan of the browser, and found the latest version to be impressive in a number of areas, its handling of streaming audio/video material and Flash was buggy to say the least. It just seems to lack the integration with, and utilization of, the DE that Firefox or Epiphany features.

Extreme Coder
July 23rd, 2007, 02:49 AM
With 1263 widgets available I think you can find most things in Opera that are in Firefox...

like the Google Toolbar

Never knew that existed. Thanks for the link! :)
BTW, is there something like FlashGot(that uses external download managers) for Opera?

crimesaucer
July 23rd, 2007, 02:51 AM
Hey guys..I got ask.

How is the themeing support with Opera when you theme linux ?...especially if you like me use a dark theme. With Firefox you can i.e change the forms.css file to get text and searchbars e.t.c, the right colors. Also if I use the default color theme in Firefox it follows the gtk theme I use.

Will Opera do this to..?...or is it completly using it own themeing engines..so to speak.

Opera themes do not use our gtk-2.0 or qt. And I think most of the themes are awful. There are some nice minimal ones that aren't tacky "Media Player 11" skins...but even then they have ugly "gray" menus and the tab bar and bookmarks just feel weird. And widgets.....man those are the worst...they definitely don't replace extension...and userscripts might come close but really are a turn off for Opera beginners like me. Plus the choices of "System Colors" are similar to a grandmothers stationary...

When I used Opera I found it faster then regular Firefox with no about:config settings tweaked or IPV6 disabled....but once I did all of my about:config settings properly, and edited my /etc/modprobe.d/aliases with:

the addition of these lines:

alias net-pf-10 ipv6 off
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

and commenting / removing the line:

alias net-pf-10 ipv6

...it became as fast or close enough that it didn't matter...(faster with Swiftweasel)

as for stability??? I found less sites were compatible with Opera and that caused more problems for me then the occasional Firefox crash and a quick restart....and java and flash were more of a pain then in Firefox.

Torrents....can't replace a good bit torrent client like utorrent or your favorite Linux torrent...

I don't use IRC so I wouldn't know...

As for Browser speed and fastness....Swiftweasel and proper about:config beat everything that I've tried so far (Swiftfox, Epiphany, Opera, Firefox...in that order or quickness)....

This is my Swiftweasel using my own gtk-2.0 theme: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-39-8.png

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-39-7.png

thisllub
July 23rd, 2007, 03:01 AM
Opera refuses to render any font correctly for me and looks horrible.

j_dog
July 23rd, 2007, 03:10 AM
Is there a 64 bit version ??

RAV TUX
July 23rd, 2007, 03:31 AM
Is there a 64 bit version ??It's coming with Opera 9.5....

Kestrel is coming!

By huibk (http://my.opera.com/huibk/info/). Friday, 22. June 2007, 09:00:48
lightspeed (http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/index.dml/tag/lightspeed), kestrel (http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/index.dml/tag/kestrel), picard (http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/index.dml/tag/picard), CSS3 (http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/index.dml/tag/CSS3), screenreader (http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/index.dml/tag/screenreader)
The last couple of months we've been working hard on the upcoming Opera 9.5 release, codename Kestrel (http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/show.dml/759403). Opera 9.5 will contain many cool new features, improvement of existing features, and we fixed a lot of bugs. Within a few weeks we will publish 9.5 weeklies on this blog so everyone can start playing with it.

Platform integration
To make sure that Opera remains the best choice on your platform, we spend a lot of time making Opera feel more integrated with your platform. Mac users can expect a nice new visual look and feel. Opera for Linux will add a QT4 build, so you can easily adjust the skin to match with desktop. There will also be 64-bit Linux/FreeBSD packages made available.

By perarnevollan (http://my.opera.com/perarnevollan/info/). Thursday, 19. July 2007, 11:06:43
In a not too distant future, there will be a weekly preview release of Opera 9.5, with codename Kestrel.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/kestrel-is-coming

smartboyathome
July 23rd, 2007, 03:33 AM
No GTK for the Gnome users? Well, that makes me not want to use it much.

mdsmedia
July 23rd, 2007, 03:38 AM
Opera came to my rescue when I was using Windows (pre-redemption days when I couldn't/didn't know how to use Linux) until about ver.7 when it appeared to become non-free (as in beer), with or without ads.

I think that was when I found Mozilla suite and then Firefox and Thunderbird.

I never much liked the Opera email client, or it didn't do things the way I liked or was used to or something.

So I started using Firefox and when I switched to Linux, there was Firefox waiting for me.

During the Football (Soccer) World Cup I was watching games on TV and had the live scoreboard up on Firefox. At one stage it started to slow right down...it might have been the final and may have just been the servers being overloaded....so I opened up Opera and went to the World Cup site and it ran smoothly....for about 30 seconds before Opera crashed. So I opened up Firefox again and had no problems with it.

I still have Opera installed and I occasionally open it to try a site that's not working for whatever reason in Firefox. I don't think I've ever found one that would operate in Opera that wouldn't in Firefox so I figure, generally it's one of my settings or site settings or something.

Basically, I keep going back to Firefox. And I think, because Firefox is OSS, there'd have to be some pretty good reason for me to use Opera as my "main" browser. Kontact seems to default to it now (or did the other night) rather than Konquerer....That annoys me a little as I'd prefer it defaulted to Firefox. The helpfiles in Kontact aren't terribly useful if I don't have KDE desktop installed.

Extreme Coder
July 23rd, 2007, 03:40 AM
No GTK for the Gnome users? Well, that makes me not want to use it much.
You just have to accept that not everything revolves around GTK/GNOME :P

BTW Rav Tux, that QT4 build, does that mean it will use the current KDE theme? That would be awesome!

scxtt
July 23rd, 2007, 04:02 AM
here are the build options via gentoo, if that's worth anything to anyone ;)

:> equery uses opera
[ Searching for packages matching opera... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend : Left column (U) - USE flags from make.conf ]
[ : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ Found these USE variables for www-client/opera-9.21 ]
U I
+ + gnome : Adds GNOME support
- - qt-static : Installs binaries statically linked to Qt
+ + spell : Adds dictionary support

:> opera --version
Opera 9.22 . Build 655 for Linux. Qt library 3.3.8.

RAV TUX
July 23rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
here are the build options via gentoo, if that's worth anything to anyone ;)

:> equery uses opera
[ Searching for packages matching opera... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend : Left column (U) - USE flags from make.conf ]
[ : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ Found these USE variables for www-client/opera-9.21 ]
U I
+ + gnome : Adds GNOME support
- - qt-static : Installs binaries statically linked to Qt
+ + spell : Adds dictionary support
:> opera --version
Opera 9.22 . Build 655 for Linux. Qt library 3.3.8.Awesome!

Colonel Kilkenny
July 23rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
Opera themes do not use our gtk-2.0 or qt. And I think most of the themes are awful. There are some nice minimal ones that aren't tacky "Media Player 11" skins...but even then they have ugly "gray" menus and the tab bar and bookmarks just feel weird. And widgets.....man those are the worst...they definitely don't replace extension...and userscripts might come close but really are a turn off for Opera beginners like me. Plus the choices of "System Colors" are similar to a grandmothers stationary...

Opera uses QT to draw some parts of UI (and things like font handling are also from QT). If you're using statically linked version of Opera then the UI may look old. Otherwise it will use QT settings and colors (to QT parts of UI) ...

And widgets may seem awful (I don't use usually because everything I need in browsing and webdesign is built-in) but the thing behind widgets is that Opera core can be used pretty much in any device. So mobile versions can use same widgets. Extensions (Mozillas) do not fit to that world. And widgets aren't there to replace extensions. It's totally different approach.

DigitalDuality
July 23rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
1. Faster then most other browsers(especially Firefox)
2. More stable then most other browsers(especially Firefox)
3. The built in IRC chat client is a lot better then Xchat(about equal to Konversation)
4. The built in Torrent client is sufficient for all my torrent downloading needs, in fact I prefer it over all other Torrent clients.
5. Theme selection is better then themes in most other browsers(especially Firefox)
6. Widgets are first class, and extremely useful
7. I could go on & on....but I'll let others list more positive things from here....

everyone's free to their opinions, but opera torrent client has notoriously been absolutely awful, especially when compared to ktorrent, azureus, utorrent, etc..

as for stable.. i don't see how it's more stable that other browsers. On par, yes. More stable? HOw are you gauging that? Not to mention there's a many pages that simply won't work with opera. (same for Konqueoror.)

If you want to talk speed on linux, Konqueror tops them all, same goes for memory usage, AND cold start of the application. Unfortunately konq is a bit buggy

The mozilla guys need to get on the ball in improving speed and memory usage for firefox rather than adding new features.

KrisWillis
July 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
I'm stuck with Opera as FireFox runs VERY slow on my machine, it's very apparent when working with phpMyAdmin and creating a table with about 25 fields - It takes AGES to render the form and use select boxes... (This was just a test, my tables don't have that many fields!)

I upgraded to Opera 9.22 this morning, the fonts render SO much nicer than 9.21 but I was getting a HUGE degredation in performance, nearly matching my FireFox install, so downgraded to 9.21 - Crappy font rendering, but very fast :) Can't have it all...

Ozeuss
July 23rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
I won't use Opera because it is not FLOSS. There are good and maybe even better alternatives, so I see no reason why to use it.

crimesaucer
July 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Opera uses QT to draw some parts of UI (and things like font handling are also from QT). If you're using statically linked version of Opera then the UI may look old. Otherwise it will use QT settings and colors (to QT parts of UI) ...

And widgets may seem awful (I don't use usually because everything I need in browsing and webdesign is built-in) but the thing behind widgets is that Opera core can be used pretty much in any device. So mobile versions can use same widgets. Extensions (Mozillas) do not fit to that world. And widgets aren't there to replace extensions. It's totally different approach.

Isn't QT only KDE?

For me (using xubuntu), Opera doesn't draw any part of my themes (gtk-2.0 engines "xfce"), and it doesn't even use the system colors...(have you seen the Opera system color choices??? so ugly)

I said what I said about the widgets because I felt that most of them were drawn poorly, and certain widgets like color picker palettes didn't work correctly. I found the the weather widgets and the clocks ugly and bulky and the fact that you have to open them up from the sidebar and into a new window, and close them out is a hassle compared to an extension icon, a drop down menu, or a keyboard short cut...in fact, no weather widget can compare to Forecast Fox Enhanced:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-60-7.png

I did like two widgets though, the Tropical Fish Aquarium, and the Web Cam of the Pyramids.

But it does sound better for a smart phone or mobile device...

Polygon
July 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
theme selection is better in opera? you must be joking. There are so many more firefox themes than opera themes... and i know. I looked.

Anyway my complaints on why i wont use it:

closed source ='(
The file browsing dialog window SUCKS
the flash plugin + firefox = crashing, the flash plugin crashing, opera locking up
the little tray icon is ugly, all pixel-y (although i can deal with it).
Firefox is plenty fast for me without any extensions/toolbars

and i keep hearing that firefox version 3 is going to work on making firefox faster/ use less memory or something, but im not sure.

crimesaucer
July 23rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
theme selection is better in opera? you must be joking. There are so many more firefox themes than opera themes... and i know. I looked.

Anyway my complaints on why i wont use it:

closed source ='(
The file browsing dialog window SUCKS
the flash plugin + firefox = crashing, the flash plugin crashing, opera locking up
the little tray icon is ugly, all pixel-y (although i can deal with it).
Firefox is plenty fast for me without any extensions/toolbars

and i keep hearing that firefox version 3 is going to work on making firefox faster/ use less memory or something, but im not sure.

Not to mention Firefox 3 will use our gtk-2.0 in the web pages like Google, for better looking web pages. (right now the Google buttons are very ugly and "boxy")

Extreme Coder
July 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Not to mention Firefox 3 will use our gtk-2.0 in the web pages like Google, for better looking web pages. (right now the Google buttons are very ugly and "boxy")
That's because the Firefox devs think the Windows 9x style of buttons are the coolest, and Linux is just a Priority 2 platform ;)

And besides, I use KDE, and Firefox's ugly file browsing window is no match with the rest of KDE ;)

Daveth
July 23rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
been using Opera for years. I started off with it in Xp, then in Xandros and now in Feisty. I regularly install it on friend's XP boxes and, once they try it out, they rarely return to IE. Even got my old dad using it!

pjalegria
July 23rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Opera 9.22 is a great browser...

Nakkis
July 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
If Opera seems slow to anyone, try launching it like this (fixed the GUI slowness for me) :)

export OPERA_NUM_XSHM=1000 && opera %u

Depressed Man
July 23rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Opera in Linux is allright. I use it when Firefox is to full of tabs and I want to see something real quick without loading all those tabs.

crimesaucer
July 23rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
That's because the Firefox devs think the Windows 9x style of buttons are the coolest, and Linux is just a Priority 2 platform ;)

And besides, I use KDE, and Firefox's ugly file browsing window is no match with the rest of KDE ;)

Yeah...you got KDE and Opera using QT

...and I got XFCE4 and Swiftweasel using gtk-2.0 engines "xfce"

to each their own....but in my opinion, my File Browser is better looking then anything I have ever seen in KDE.

default Swiftweasel (full size screenshot): http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-61-7.png

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-61-8.png

Swiftweasel (basically Firefox) using gtk-2.0 to apply my Xfce theme. Same thing goes for Thunderbird 2, both Thunderbird and Swiftweasel are using no theme at all in their default mode...and all I had to do was add new icons for them both to customize it a bit....and a bit of userChrome.css

Sunflower1970
July 23rd, 2007, 09:37 PM
I use it on my PII in place of FF since it it is faster on my hardware. The only things I really miss though from FF is my google toolbar (but from the link above regarding the widget that problem may be solved) and my ebay toolbar...

I don't mind the themes as much. I found a couple of ones I like.

The one feature that I love, and am glad it was brought over to FF from Opera is speed dial. One of the best inventions ever, IMHO. :)

Atreus12
July 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Opera is closed source. In order to get installed on my box, it has to be open source. The only way I would ever install a closed source program is if there were no alternate programs, or if the open source ones just couldn't get the job done.

-Andrew

RAV TUX
July 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I use it on my PII in place of FF since it it is faster on my hardware. The only things I really miss though from FF is my google toolbar (but from the link above regarding the widget that problem may be solved) and my ebay toolbar...

There are 4 eBay Widgets in Opera...

I am not sure if these will help you or not?

1. Cooqy: eBay 2.0
http://widgets.opera.com/widget/5812

2. eBay watcher
http://widgets.opera.com/widget/5019

3. Interesting eBay items
http://widgets.opera.com/widget/4661

4. Search on eBay
http://widgets.opera.com/widget/4395

RAV TUX
July 25th, 2007, 01:04 AM
thus far:

64 people who use Opera

24 who don't

35 others

non-Opera users are in the minority even in Ubuntu that has Firefox by default.

yabbadabbadont
July 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM
thus far:

64 people who use Opera

24 who don't

35 others

non-Opera users are in the minority even in Ubuntu that has Firefox by default.

You obviously have never taken a statistics class... :D

These numbers mean nothing since they do not represent a true random sample of Ubuntu users. Given the subject line of the thread, it would be very surprising if the results had turned out any differently. ;)

panas
July 25th, 2007, 10:32 AM
http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2005/12/50-best-firefox-extensions-for-power-surfing/

* Web Developer - Many features just for web developer. One of the best features is to edit
CSS source and display live changes.
* ColorZilla - Quick way to pick color from any pages (text or image) and get its color hex
code.

* MeasureIt - A ruler to analyze website layouts. This is very useful small tool to get the
right measurement for your web layout.

* User Agent Switcher Extension - able to switch the user agent of the browser.

Tab Mix Plus - More tweaks added to tabs. Ability to select and open muliple links in tabs,
open link in a duplicated tab, merge tabs and close tabs from similar domain…

Image Zoom - Right click on an image and select a zoom option from the popup menu, or,
hold down the right mouse button in combination with the mouse wheel to zoom in or out on an image.

AutoCopy - Select text on any web page and it will be automatically copied to the clipboard.
Middle click to Paste.

Flashblock - blocks all Flash content from loading on a webpage.

Text size toolbar - Adds buttons to increase or decrease text size or restore default size easily.
Useful for those small unreadable font sizes.

Gmail Manager - Allows you to manage multiple Gmail accounts and receive new mail
notifications. Displays your account details including unread messages, saved drafts, spam
messages, labels with new mail, space used, and new mail snippets.

FEBE allows you to quickly and easily backup your Firefox extensions. In fact, it goes beyond
just backing up -- It will actually rebuild your extensions individually into installable .xpi files.
Now you can easily synchronize your office and home browsers.

this is a list ,not complete, of what makes firefox for me not another browser.

DoktorSeven
July 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Again, and always, NoScript. No, Opera's script/plugin blocker isn't enough, it doesn't have the capability to unblock the site you're on while leaving 3rd party scripts in the same site blocked.

RAV TUX
July 25th, 2007, 11:43 AM

These numbers mean nothing since they do not represent a true random sample of Ubuntu users. Given the subject line of the thread, it would be very surprising if the results had turned out any differently. ;)

No need to be so technical to get into statistics....

Statistics generally are worthless....

Mark Twain said there are three kinds of lies:

1. There are lies
2. There are damn lies
3. and then there are statistics. ;)

These thread is mainly for enjoyment.

Eddie Wilson
July 25th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I use a lot of different browsers just to see whats new and how well they work. Its nice to have an answer if someone asks you a question about one of them.
Eddie

pjalegria
July 25th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I have change to Opera, and i am very happy, it works much better than firefox....

arsenic23
July 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I've been using Opera since version 3. Though I will admit I do not like the way it deals with torrents now. I download torrent files to run on my torrenting server, not my desktop.

herbster
July 25th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Well I just installed 9.22, and wow I cannot believe it! For the longest time I tried every upgrade of Opera and they all ran so incredibly slow when I had more than 5 or so tabs open. I mean click on a tab and make your coffee, come back and maybe it had switched type slowness, hehe. I just installed this and it is running mint! I mean incredibly fast. I am going to test with all my regular sites later today and see if a switch might occur. I love Firefox to death but if it's better I'm on it.

RAV TUX
July 25th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Well I just installed 9.22, and wow I cannot believe it! For the longest time I tried every upgrade of Opera and they all ran so incredibly slow when I had more than 5 or so tabs open. I mean click on a tab and make your coffee, come back and maybe it had switched type slowness, hehe. I just installed this and it is running mint! I mean incredibly fast. I am going to test with all my regular sites later today and see if a switch might occur. I love Firefox to death but if it's better I'm on it.

Awesome, I use both Opera and Firefox.

aysiu
July 26th, 2007, 12:03 AM

I agree. The subject title will already turn off people who are not interested in Opera.

These two polls (one of which was started by RAV TUX) are more representative of what's really going on (since the subject title is more neutral and doesn't favor one particular browser):
What is your default web browser? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=40611&highlight=favorite+web+browser)
Which Web Browsers do you use? (multiple choice enabled poll) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205060&highlight=favorite+web+browser)

RAV TUX
July 26th, 2007, 01:27 AM
I have already started one neutral thread....and Firefox Threads....

I do think people honestly are taking these polls a little too seriously if you can not simply enjoy the entertainment value of it.

This is NOT a scientific poll, or a poll made to build quanitative statistical abstracts from...

This is a poll simply for enjoyment, that you should not forget to have fun with.

I am not trying to convince anyone here to use Opera or any other Web Browser...

Ubuntu comes with Firefox by default, I remember when Ubuntu came with Epiphany by default and not Forefox at all(Firefox was in the repositories).---unless my memory is bad?

The irony is a Opera thread or poll at all...here

If your like me, I use both Firefox and Opera....jump in and have fun discussing Opera....or even Firefox or any browser....
(I also use Konqueror, Epiphany, Galeon, etc....)

I have started neutral threads/polls, I have started Firefox threads/polls....

It's all out there easily accessible by all....

If you like Opera you come here and share, if you don't you also share. It is very easy enough.

Again, remember to have fun.

Anyway as I stated before I hope some enjoy my sense of humor in this poll....if NOT....lighten up

don't take anything in life so seriously.

vexorian
July 26th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I voted:

I still prefer Organic non-msg Cheetos!
Some other kind of ambivalent mindless random rambling...

Because all the other options were not true in my case. And I use firefox not because of the extensions but because of something I would like to call personal preference and the fact that firefox is open source, while X product is not.

Free-as-in-beer proprietary software is probably the worst kind of proprietary software, the market drug.

herbster
July 26th, 2007, 02:04 AM
I just ran Opera with 30 tabs open and it runs like a charm, so it's great to finally have it working up to snuff. I still prefer Firefox, though, it just feels like being at home when I'm surfing. The colors and theme I have set in FF is just perfect with my desktop and besides, FF is blazing fast for me.

yabbadabbadont
July 26th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Hey Rav, you seem to be the one taking things too seriously... ;) :D

When I took a stats class, one of the things we were taught, was how to intentionally skew the results. Our teacher told us that the best way to learn how to detect when others have skewed their results was to learn how to do it ourselves. He then went one to use statistics to prove something really weird and hilarious. (and then showed us where the errors were in his numbers) That was one seriously fun class. :D

don't take anything in life so seriously.
After all, you'll never get out of it alive.... :lol:

(or as my sister the doctor likes to say, "Life is invariably a fatal condition...")

Spr0k3t
July 26th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I have a few reasons why I don't use Opera. Keep in mind though, I was a die hard Opera fan from v4 to v8.

I found the browser a joy to use as a development tool with hot-keys designed to quickly build hand coded web pages in a snap. The layout could easily be changed to my liking and I could remove almost anything from the layout. The CSS support in Opera is one of the finest out there... correctly rendering acid2 since v5 iirc. However, when Firefox 1.5 was released I tried it and enjoyed it, but still missed some features of Opera I really liked.

I started to find all the particular plugins I became familiar with in Opera available for Firefox... things like MouseGestures, ImageZoom, PageZoom, Validator, on the fly SourceEditing, User styles, print styles and the most important feature of Firefox that really impressed me... lack of a built in email client and postit type note system. The release of Opera9 further solidified my dislikes for Opera for including a Torrent client and IRC client. The bonus about Firefox... F/OSS.

Prior to transitioning to a better operating system, I needed a browser where I could take all my settings with me. PortableApps.com made my day when I found them. I could take all of my browser settings from computer to computer with a simple USB key. On an average day, I work with at least nine different computers. Only two of those are my own and the others tend to be different every day. So the portability of Firefox really set the edge of the competition leaving many other browsers an after thought.

Further solidifying my inability to use Opera, I opted for 64bit in my discursiveness to Linux. Granted this will change with 9.5+ so I hear, but the lack of the other features I find so detrimental in Firefox I just can't make myself use Opera. It's sad really, I was a paid supporter of Opera too. I hope they can get their act together in the later releases of Opera... perhaps when 10 hits?

I've made mention of these things with some of the key developers at Opera. A few things have been implemented while others will remain unchanged regardless of how much it means to me. The development crew they have at Opera really is top notch. Many of them I know from the days of the demo scenes... so they tend to focus on extremely optimized and tight code. For now, I'll stick with Firefox as my primary browser.

Npl
July 26th, 2007, 08:17 AM
I started to find all the particular plugins I became familiar with in Opera available for Firefox... things like MouseGestures, ImageZoom, PageZoom, Validator, on the fly SourceEditing, User styles, print styles and the most important feature of Firefox that really impressed me... lack of a built in email client and postit type note system. The release of Opera9 further solidified my dislikes for Opera for including a Torrent client and IRC client. The bonus about Firefox... F/OSS.Im not gonna discuss personal preferences, I for one love Operas minimalistic, yet functional Email-Client, but if you dont use it why do you even care if its there?
Its not as Opera is bloated and has tons of space dedicated to those features - in fact you can practically remove nearly any references to those features, save the preferences dialog and a few menu-entries. Even with those features Operas filesize is smaller than a "naked" Firefox.

I mean thats the same if I you would complain about any Firefox-plugin you dont want to use, just because the mere existance annoys you :confused:
If you would complain about, say, Nero 7 for Windows which forces you to DL 100 MB of unecessary crap if you want just the base program then you`d have a point.

jrusso2
July 26th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I don't see any difference from 9.21 either. I guess opera is ok but I just like the plugins for Firefox so much that I mostly use Firefox

Motoxrdude
July 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I love opera but it just isn't stable with flash applications. It constantly crashes when i load webpages with flash. Anyone know how to fix this?

Spr0k3t
July 26th, 2007, 09:18 AM
If you would complain about, say, Nero 7 for Windows which forces you to DL 100 MB of unecessary crap if you want just the base program then you`d have a point.

The way I'm looking at it. I start with a very clean slate and add to it what I want. Not the other way around. It's like trying to pick all the onions off of a slice of pizza. It's the whole cooks in the kitchen problem again. Personally I would love it if the Opera group divided their applications out into stand alone feature rich apps, rather than building them into a single component. Each of the applications found within Opera may not be the best choices for everyone... or maybe a single application of the suite would be better over another application someone already uses. There are reasons for it. The fact that the applications within Opera exist is not the nail in the coffin for me... it was the portability.

Npl
July 26th, 2007, 09:43 AM
The way I'm looking at it. I start with a very clean slate and add to it what I want. Not the other way around. It's like trying to pick all the onions off of a slice of pizza. It's the whole cooks in the kitchen problem again. Personally I would love it if the Opera group divided their applications out into stand alone feature rich apps, rather than building them into a single component. Each of the applications found within Opera may not be the best choices for everyone... or maybe a single application of the suite would be better over another application someone already uses. There are reasons for it. The fact that the applications within Opera exist is not the nail in the coffin for me... it was the portability.As said, valid points.... for Nero 7.

With Opera7 you dont have to use the features, they arent obtrusive or bloat up the program. And IMHO having to hunt for plugins for (nowadays) basic funtionality is more annoying than to disable unecessary stuff. Not to mention that the builtin funtionality surely is nicely integrated vs the "ducttape approach" which tries to fit everything but nothing specifically. But well, Im not gonna discuss opinions :)

RAV TUX
July 26th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Hey Rav, you seem to be the one taking things too seriously... ;) :D

When I took a stats class, one of the things we were taught, was how to intentionally skew the results. Our teacher told us that the best way to learn how to detect when others have skewed their results was to learn how to do it ourselves. He then went one to use statistics to prove something really weird and hilarious. (and then showed us where the errors were in his numbers) That was one seriously fun class. :D

After all, you'll never get out of it alive.... :lol:

(or as my sister the doctor likes to say, "Life is invariably a fatal condition...")
yabbadabba, your right I was in a aweful mood the other day and that came through my post....

....and damn it's hot here in DC today...

I do like demographics which naturally is based in statistics.....so I shouldn't knock statistics....I should have made a better poll...perhaps the fact that I mainly was just having fun with this one is why I skewed it the way I did....

I know most people here love Firefox, I love Firefox.....I also enjoy Opera but it is an acquired taste.

matchstich
August 6th, 2007, 02:01 AM
i have 9.22 installed but how do i get the jre plugin?

jre plugin works in ff.

scxtt
August 6th, 2007, 06:54 AM
tools --> preferences --> advanced --> content --> Java options --> paste the following into the textarea: /etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm/jre/lib/i386

yours may be different, can't be certain, i generally copy the path to the *.oji file and removed directories 1-by-1 and "validate java path" until it says it's ok ...

screaminj3sus
August 6th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I find opera's performance in linux absolutely abysmal compared to windows. It also looks horrible in linux the menu's look just awful.

HoldSteady
August 7th, 2007, 12:56 AM
I really like Opera, but for me 9.22 crashes far more often than 9.21 ever did (though it still crashed a bit). Plus, whenever I pick the Submit a Bug option, I'm sent to a non-existent page: https://launchpad.net/Ubuntu/+source/opera/+bugs. Spiffy.

Edgy with kernel 2.6.17-12-generic.

idomagic
August 8th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I've tried to move over to FF several times, usually giving up within an hour due to the lack of working extensions for the various features I need and which Opera has.

Last time I tried I gave it a few days though, but it wasn't enough, I browsed through most extensions, googled, fiddled with the config, etc.

I normally have about 15-35 tabs open, having my tab-list horizontally is simply not a good option, thus I've always had it vertically in Opera. I did find a couple of extensions for FF that could sort of do this, but they were buggy and/or not updated. Generally I really miss the dynamic and easely configured UI Opera has, most of the elements can be put anywhere in any combination (and I'm not talking about just adding/removing buttons, but moving panels and statusbars, etc). Sure enough you can probably do that in FF as well, if you don't mind writing a massive extension first, which will probably not work so well with other extensions anyways.

Furthermore I installed and tried several different search-extensions, in order to get my beloved right-click searches (highlighting some text/word, choosing a search engine), the shortcut searches from the address bar and the quck way of adding new searches through right-clicking in a search field.
I did find some extensions for these purposes, but none cooperated or shared search engines, I had to add them for each and every extension, which was simply not a viable option when I in Opera I currently have the results from 34 search engines (and a few other tools like translators etc) within the reach of two clicks, a couple of letters in the address bar or via the regular search field for those search engines you may not use so often.

And having to use an extension to change keyboard shortcuts is just silly.

A couple of other handy features that I constanly use are simple things like "copy address" (not talking about copy link address) from right click menu, fit page to width of browser and the speed dial. Sure most are probably available as some form of extension, with varied quality.

Also I don't find Opera much worse than FF with flash content in general, however unfortunately the flash 9 beta is not available for Opera, which is indeed pretty annoying.

But, I do occasionally use FF, usually because some sites (like my bank) is using non-standard solutions. And I don't hate FF, I've just got my browsing so worked in my natural flow of things that someone will probably have to put a gun to my head before I'll use another browser as my primary one :cool:

RAV TUX
August 8th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I find opera's performance in linux absolutely abysmal compared to windows. It also looks horrible in linux the menu's look just awful.

I really like Opera, but for me 9.22 crashes far more often than 9.21 ever did (though it still crashed a bit). Plus, whenever I pick the Submit a Bug option, I'm sent to a non-existent page: https://launchpad.net/Ubuntu/+source/opera/+bugs. Spiffy.

Edgy with kernel 2.6.17-12-generic.

Honestly Opera and Firefox have never crashed on me.

I find Opera and Konqueror the two best Web Browsers to use in Linux.

sunshine12
August 8th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I also experienced the problems with opera in linux..
and opera freezes, and very slow to firefox in linux, for me atleast.
Is there anything that I can do to solve it?

Now only using Firefox. Used opera quite more often than firefox in windows.

Blindraven
August 8th, 2007, 03:04 PM
People keep calling Firefox a memory hog, I believe this to be simply untrue, further to that, I have ran several tests on 4 computers, all show IDENTICAL signatures, with Opera being larger in several tests.

Its seems a common trend that one "respected" figure in the community voices his own opinion and sheep seem to follow suit without any real proof of their own reinforcements.

Here is the latest.

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/6338/ffvsoperaij9.jpg

idomagic
August 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM
People keep calling Firefox a memory hog, I believe this to be simply untrue, further to that, I have ran several tests on 4 computers, all show IDENTICAL signatures, with Opera being larger in several tests.

Its seems a common trend that one "respected" figure in the community voices his own opinion and sheep seem to follow suit without any real proof of their own reinforcements.

Here is the latest. http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/6338/ffvsoperaij9.jpg

Well.. Not that I use Opera because of memory usage, but your extremely low res image didn't really say anything, most numbers were all blurred...

I restarted firefox (2.0.0.6) and opera (9.22), opened http://www.sunet.se in both and this was what top gave me:
http://surl.se/picture/20078/85890.png

Worth considering is the fact that firefox only had one extension enabled (tab mix plus), so it'd probably be much much worse if I had installed all the extensions I would need for it in order to compete with opera.

But, most people will probably get different figures, however I seriously doubt opera would be any worse than firefox in the current versions.

RAV TUX
August 9th, 2007, 03:36 AM

Here is the latest.

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/6338/ffvsoperaij9.jpg
Nice Screenshot! :)

Specter043
August 10th, 2007, 12:18 AM
The last time I had Opera installed was like a year ago on windows, and it lagged abysmally for some reason. I have just installed the new Opera, and damnnn is this thing fast. My page rendering tests went down by a ton. I'd like to switch to it, but I was wondering how to get flash to work? by the way, posting this from opera :P

here's the site I used for the rendering test http://scragz.com/tech/mozilla/test-rendering-time

RAV TUX
August 10th, 2007, 12:20 AM
The last time I had Opera installed was like a year ago on windows, and it lagged abysmally for some reason. I have just installed the new Opera, and damnnn is this thing fast. My page rendering tests went down by a ton. I'd like to switch to it, but I was wondering how to get flash to work? by the way, posting this from opera :P

here's the site I used for the rendering test http://scragz.com/tech/mozilla/test-rendering-time

What OS are you using?

Specter043
August 10th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I'm using Ubuntu.

moeFinley
September 22nd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Just copy the Flash plugin from the Firefox plugins folder to the Opera plugins folder. Couldn't be simpler :)

Anyone using the 9.5 Alpha. It looks really interesting.

bruce89
September 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
printf("I am a pedant");
}

Bigdeath
September 22nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Only thing I dont like about opera is It doesnt have auto spell check like firefox. But I'm trying to change that right now.

RAV TUX
September 22nd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Only thing I dont like about opera is It doesnt have auto spell check like firefox. But I'm trying to change that right now.
If you can add auto grammar check also it would be greatly appreciated. ;)

julian67
September 22nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
I couldn't vote because the choices seem to be opera, firefox or snacks.
I don't use Opera. I like a browser that is just a browser. Epiphany does this better than others I tried. I don't know if it's as fast as Opera but when I *click* the page appears immediately. Seems good to me. And I prefer free software over proprietary.

Bigdeath
September 22nd, 2007, 11:34 PM
I loaded my firefox plugin folder in preferences and it still doesnt work.Where do you get plugins for opera. Anyone know? I'm lazy.

Bigdeath
September 22nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
ok here we go. Nice and convenient video.

http://www.jumpcut.com/view/?id=19D8AE2EED4D11DB95E7000423CF3686

n3tfury
September 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
using alpha 9.50 here. LOVE IT. thanks rav for reminding me about its built in IRC client. on #ubuntu now :)

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 12:14 AM
using alpha 9.50 here. LOVE IT. thanks rav for reminding me about its built in IRC client. on #ubuntu now :)
now I am jealous Opera 9.5 I am only using 9.23.

Whats the best way to update? apt-get update?

bmannering
September 23rd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Voting choices were very confusing. Should have been yes or no.

Kingsley
September 23rd, 2007, 01:10 AM
I'll be honest. I used to use Opera to browse through porno image galleries. The fast-forward feature plus mouse gestures was really nifty for going through images in numerical order.

Iceni
September 23rd, 2007, 01:24 AM
I use Opera .22 right now, tried the new .50 on a windows system and was impressed. Can't understand why flash screws it up so often, looking into it.

n3tfury
September 23rd, 2007, 01:26 AM
now I am jealous Opera 9.5 I am only using 9.23.

Whats the best way to update? apt-get update?

i just installed the .deb from here:

http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-1589/intel-linux/

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 03:28 AM
i just installed the .deb from here:

http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-1589/intel-linux/

do you have to remove the old Opera first

I get this message:

Error: conflict with the installed package 'opera'

Polygon
September 23rd, 2007, 03:29 AM
i tried the latest version, and even though it is pretty fast flash crashes on it sooo often... ill be watching a video on youtube, and just doing normal surfing and switching through tabs will freeze the flash plugin for a second, and then occasionally it will crash. Oh well.

thiebaude
September 23rd, 2007, 03:32 AM
Im using Safari 3 right now, just testing it on Windows XP.I usually use Firefox 2.

steveneddy
September 23rd, 2007, 03:32 AM
My Firefox crashes with Flash, so I use Opera to view Flash sites with video and sound.

n3tfury
September 23rd, 2007, 03:52 AM
do you have to remove the old Opera first

I get this message:

i'm sure i did then. i had removed a previous alpha because flash would crash the browser.

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 04:21 AM
i'm sure i did then. i had removed a previous alpha because flash would crash the browser.

Yep, it's affirmative you must remove the previous version first...

I'm now using Opera 9.50 Alpha

http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/albums/userpics/normal_Opera9_50Alpha_in_Elive_Gem.png (http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0)

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 04:46 AM
i tried the latest version, and even though it is pretty fast flash crashes on it sooo often... ill be watching a video on youtube, and just doing normal surfing and switching through tabs will freeze the flash plugin for a second, and then occasionally it will crash. Oh well.

YouTube and all flash works for me normally on Opera 9.50 Alpha without crashing.

My Firefox crashes with Flash, so I use Opera to view Flash sites with video and sound.

Actually I must say that Firefox has never crashed on me either except when I loaded the Speed Dial Firefox Extension.

Here is a screenshot of YouTube on Opera 9.50 Alpha in Elive Gem 1.0

http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/albums/userpics/normal_YouTube_on_Opera9_50Alpha_EliveGem.png (http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0)

Skorzen
September 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
I use Opera along with Firefox. This last one is my first choice because of its addons.

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
I use Opera along with Firefox. This last one is my first choice because of its addons.similar to you I use both also, Opera 9.50 Alpha & IceWeasel 2.0.0.6

Old *ix Geek
September 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
I use Opera occasionally and absolutely love it. Some of its features are so nice...I wish SeaMonkey would pick them up. And beautiful?! Wow...it's really stunning to look at, and there are so many themes available. And it's fast--really fast.

Anyway, the main reasons that I don't use Opera as my primary browser are:

1) No e-mail client (I use SeaMonkey instead of Firefox for this reason).

2) Those darn extensions! There are so many extensions I rely on in SeaMonkey, I'm really lost when they're not there.

RAV TUX
September 25th, 2007, 02:35 AM
64 bit Opera for Linux

http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-1589/x86_64-linux/

Jaymac
September 25th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I use Opera occasionally and absolutely love it. Some of its features are so nice...I wish SeaMonkey would pick them up. And beautiful?! Wow...it's really stunning to look at, and there are so many themes available. And it's fast--really fast.

Anyway, the main reasons that I don't use Opera as my primary browser are:

1) No e-mail client (I use SeaMonkey instead of Firefox for this reason).

2) Those darn extensions! There are so many extensions I rely on in SeaMonkey, I'm really lost when they're not there.

Opera DOES have an integrated email client. It's quite decent as well.

Afoot
September 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I think this poll is flawed so I will not vote. I just think Firefox is better.

Bigdeath
September 26th, 2007, 03:07 AM
One thing I don't like about opera is I cant upload photos to photobucket with it.

D-EJ915
September 26th, 2007, 03:42 AM
One thing I don't like about opera is I cant upload photos to photobucket with it.

I've never had any problems doing it, except when photobucket has fits and won't let me log in.

rahimveron
September 26th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I've never had any problems doing it, except when photobucket has fits and won't let me log in.

I have no prob with photobucket and i am using Opera 9.5

aeto
September 26th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Firefox has been crashing on me because I'm using Yakuake. So I switched to Opera last night, or so I initially intended.

Main attractive factors:

1. Doesn't crash with Yakuake
2. Fonts and interface native to my KDE; nice integration, beautiful AA
3. Right-click add search
4. Does indeed "feel" faster, maybe it's a placebo maybe it's not, startup is very swift
5. Widgets
6. Can refrain from the bad habit of "bulking" such as extensions, because there aren't any
7. Nice default style sheet
8. Skins look nicer, definitely not a placebo, double-blind test done

Main repulsive factors:

1. Flash in other pages crash when a flash video is refreshed (see: www.veoh.com)
2. mplayerplug-in works without a seek bar, or incorrectly with the patch; no buttons
3. No extensions, can't indulge in bulking which are useful; OK it's a double-edged sword
4. Some QT styles can't get along well with the Opera menu icons; the highlight breaks
5. Not open-source; can't compile for personal psychological technical satisfaction (hint: -O3, -j5); possibly also the barrier to better Linux (multimedia) integration and cause for all these repulsions - only a reduction hypothesis

So I still keep Firefox for multimedia purposes. No harm really, not as if many of our systems are old. In fact, they are all pretty new considering they have more than 512MB RAM and one logical processor :lol: The machine I'm on now reports 874MB used memory including 462MB cache according to free -m. Apparently Opera consumes more such RAM, 4.4% of 2GB whereas Firefox chomps 3.3%, shown by top. Funny why the former still starts up in 1-3 secs when the latter takes 7-10 secs in such a modern machine.

Warpnow
September 26th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I believe Opera uses more ram to boot up but if you open many tabs Firefox begins to use more faster.

Using Opera, I've had literally -hundreds- of tabs open at a time with no problem.

Bigdeath
September 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah now that I got spell check I prefer opera but I wouldnt delete firefox cause some things opera just wont work.

RAV TUX
September 26th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah now that I got spell check I prefer opera but I wouldnt delete firefox cause some things opera just wont work.
like what?

Bigdeath
September 27th, 2007, 12:49 AM
like what?

The photobucket thing. On my isp home page it has a tv guide and it wont let me go to the other pages of channels. And a few other things I cant remember right now.

RAV TUX
September 27th, 2007, 12:57 AM
The photobucket thing. On my isp home page it has a tv guide and it wont let me go to the other pages of channels. And a few other things I cant remember right now.could you give me some links? I would like to test this out.

Bigdeath
September 27th, 2007, 01:02 AM
www.charter.net

zugu
September 27th, 2007, 08:15 AM
The poll seems a little biased towards Opera to me. There's no option like "No, I don't use Opera at all" or "No, I don't use Opera because I don't like it / can't stand it".

The "I simply can not break my addiction to certain Firefox extensions" option is not enough. This is the poll option with most Firefox in it, yet it makes it look as if people who use Firefox would ditch it for Opera in an instance, if it weren't for some extensions.

Oh, well, maybe I'm getting a little bit too activist, they're just some browsers after all.

orange2k
September 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I like Opera very much, but I found some problems with rendering pages with a lot of flash objects - sometimes these objects are simply missing...
So I mostly use Firefox.

Opera has more functions (built in e-mail client, torrent client etc.) but I prefer stand-alone apps for these tasks - and yes torrent client in Opera sucks...

jasnils
September 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
No, I use Opera 9.5 Alpha, which by any standard is as good as most stable versions.:popcorn:

fjfandino
September 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM
i use opera when i need a browser more compatible with IE. My primary browser is epiphany. Has all i need and it is faster than firefox.

Montsegur87
September 28th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Any way to remove it from my xfce task tray?

BigDXLT
September 28th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Opera is the shiznit.

The only thing I miss from Firefox is inline spellchecking. Occa... ocais... damnit... sometimes not being able to spell words properly is worth it in the end. :)

kr0n05 I I
September 28th, 2007, 03:19 AM
I used opera, it was rather decent, but not quite what I was looking for. I like firefox, it seems much faster and more customizable. Plus, I like open source things.

mthei
September 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM

To the best of my knowledge, no. Which is surprising, as I know in Windows, the system tray icon is not there at all by default, and is only activated once you set up a mail account with Opera, or some of the other features. Hopefully the next release will fix this.

Speaking of which, a new alpha release of 9.5 was released today. Since Opera is my main browser and I don't know how to install the alpha into a different directory, I'm waiting until it's in beta or RC, but supposedly this version features some more Gnome integration, such as the file-browser when saving things. Just a heads up.

Colonel Kilkenny
September 28th, 2007, 06:32 PM

To the best of my knowledge, no. Which is surprising, as I know in Windows, the system tray icon is not there at all by default, and is only activated once you set up a mail account with Opera, or some of the other features. Hopefully the next release will fix this.

Speaking of which, a new alpha release of 9.5 was released today. Since Opera is my main browser and I don't know how to install the alpha into a different directory, I'm waiting until it's in beta or RC, but supposedly this version features some more Gnome integration, such as the file-browser when saving things. Just a heads up.

opera --notrayicon has existed since the dawn of the human species (or something like that). Would that do the trick? I'm not familiar with xfce.

And you can try the alpha without installing it. Just download the opera*.tar.gz and extract it.
Check http://www.opera.com/support/search/view/456/ for more info.
If I remember correctly running opera from extracted package doesn't use your normal profile (usually ~/.opera), it creates its own profile. BUT you might still want to backup. Just to be safe. And there are ways to install it and use different profile also.

Alpha versions are working nicely. No big problems for me. I don't even use stable versions any longer. The Gnome integration is always big plus (except that gnome save/open-dialog sucks big time) and Qt4 helps also a lot.

mthei
September 29th, 2007, 12:21 AM
opera --notrayicon has existed since the dawn of the human species (or something like that). Would that do the trick? I'm not familiar with xfce.

That was surprisingly simple. Thanks. It's never actually dawned on me to look into this sort of thing as it stopped bothering me after the first day, although I'm still used to it not being there like in Windows, unless there's a reason why It's there by default in the first place.
I'll try the alpha from the tar.gz as well. Thanks for the tips.

jimbo99
October 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I bought a license to Opera about a month before they gave it away for free. Even so, even though I bought it, I am not at all pleased with it. I never really was. Many pages never displayed properly. I couldn't stand the increase/decrease feature. Had to tweak the fonts just to get what I get in firefox by pressing ctrl-+.

The skins made it look funky. There were no solid skins. When I went looking for extensions the firefox versions blew away Opera's offerings.

Just my 2 cents.

Bragador
October 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I'd like to use it but I'm addicted to customizegoogle. This extension removes the publicity in gmail and google while improving features and blocking google analytic.

I love my Internet without publicity.

ticopelp
October 17th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I think Opera has some absolutely great features, but there are too many things about Firefox that I love -- the google search box, the certain keyboard shortcuts, and a handful of plugins that I just can't live without.

I wish there were a hybrid browser that had features of both. I love speed dial.

santiagoward2000
October 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I recently started using Opera, mostly because Firefox is way too heavy for me! Don't get me wrong, I love Firefox and its extensions, but I can only surf for so long before it hangs up. I must say Opera 9.23 is really cool and lighter, and I just love the "Speed Dial" thingy...

Colonel Kilkenny
October 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Just a heads up: Opera 9.24 was released today.

herbster
October 17th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Quite an interesting thing: I've begun to use Openbox on its own for the last few weeks and Opera NEVER freezes anymore regardless of how many tabs or windows are open, whereas in Gnome it would freeze quite often when it took on about 10 tabs or around there. Now it's even better as my porn browser :D

kellemes
October 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Quite an interesting thing: I've begun to use Openbox on its own for the last few weeks and Opera NEVER freezes anymore regardless of how many tabs or windows are open, whereas in Gnome it would freeze quite often when it took on about 10 tabs or around there. Now it's even better as my porn browser :D

Yeah, often don't understand stuff like This myself..
Have been using OpenOffice on Windows for years.. always gives me crap, but on tux no problems! Have been using VLC on Windows for many years without issues.. on tux only trouble!

Opera is the best browser among the big boys. It just needs to get a little more stability and has to watch out it's not going to bloat itself to death just like FF and IE.

erginemr
October 17th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I was also fond of Opera back in ******* days, but since it uses QT libraries, it does not look so good in a Gnome environment.

Other than that, I have to admit that its performance (stability, speed and small memory footprint) supasses that of Firefox.

Rhapsody
October 17th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I keep Opera around, but only for testing purposes. The three reasons (in ascending order of importance) why I don't use it are:

1) The default theme plays very badly with white system text. The GUI is mostly unreadable because of it. No other applications has defaults this bad.

2) Opera widgets are still no match for Firefox extensions. In fact, nothing else can match Firefox extensions. Functional replacements for stuff like Adblock Plus, Download Statusbar, DownloadHelper, Firebug, Image Zoom, Stylish, and Tab Mix Plus are conspicuous by their absence.

3) It's not FOSS. This bit is completely non-negotiable. They can change the interface, beef up the widgets, and improve Presto until their blue in the face. I've made a rule not to switch from FOSS back to proprietary software, and I'm sticking to it.

itsjustarumour
October 25th, 2007, 01:12 AM
I love Opera, and despite it being closed-source (and the inevitable political/ideological debate that that engenders) I think it deserves a lot more support and praise from the Linux community!

From my experience I've found plugins to generally work much better and be much easier to configure than in Firefox - for example, the RealPlayer plugin has usually worked "out of the box" for viewing embedded content on the BBC website since Ubuntu Edgy (also in openSUSE since v10.0), whereas I haven't EVER been able to get the same thing working reliably in Firefox.

Also, I'm impressed by the way Opera appears to give as much importance to its Linux offering as to that for Windows - it releases both versions at the same time, and unlike with many products - Skype and Google Desktop for instance - the Linux version is just as feature-rich as the Windows version.

So - lets hear it for Opera on Linux!!! =D>=D>=D>

EDIT - PS, one last thing I forgot, I think the font rendering is better in Opera than Firefox too!

RAV TUX
October 25th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I love Opera, and despite it being closed-source (and the inevitable political/ideological debate that that engenders) I think it deserves a lot more support and praise from the Linux community!

I agree the Linux community should support Opera 100% ;)

-grubby
October 25th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I agree the Linux community should support Opera 100% ;)

I just downloaded it and am surprised...not just the fact that it's fast & clean,but the fact that when I started it for the first time it told me I was using KDE! It seems Windows and Linux are equal in Opera's world

n3tfury
October 25th, 2007, 01:25 AM
opera's speed dial, overall rendering, and good skins are an easy win for me.

dikky
October 25th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Hi, I have used the Opera web browser since i stopped using netscape ;)
Its a great browser and I love it. I have used it on both windows and linux platforms and i am overall very satisfied.
BTW have anyone noticed that 9.24 is alot more unstable than 9.22 ?
I think I have to downgrade ..
=(

Samhain13
October 25th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I've been keeping my Opera for testing purposes only. But I've recently found some love for it-- been using Opera as my default browser for the last several days.

RAV TUX
October 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hi, I have used the Opera web browser since i stopped using netscape ;)
Its a great browser and I love it. I have used it on both windows and linux platforms and i am overall very satisfied.
BTW have anyone noticed that 9.24 is alot more unstable than 9.22 ?
I think I have to downgrade ..
=(

Actually you should upgrade instead and use Opera 9.50

bailout
October 25th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Actually you should upgrade instead and use Opera 9.50

Is that a development release?

Just a quick pimp for the email client and other features. I have been using Opera for email for a couple of years now and it is very good. Also the notes feature is great. Anyone who is new to Opera or just uses it as a basic browser should have have a poke around and see what else it does. There is also a version for usb pens for Opera goodness on the go.

Christmas
October 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Yeah Opera is a good browser. I used it a lot in the past but now I only use it occasionally.

Brian R.
October 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Yes i have just started to use it yesterday, so far so good. Had trouble installing flash player but have worked it out and now works. Have not mastered the installation of Adobe Reader yet.
Main reason for trying Opera was that one news site i go to regularly was sooo slow inloading in firefox. The page in question has a built in refresh and so some times before it finished loading it would do a refresh and start again. Opera is faster.

Colonel Kilkenny
October 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Opera released 9.50 Beta for desktops today. At the same event also Opera Link was revealed.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam for 9.50 beta
http://link.opera.com for Opera Link.

Remember that 9.50 is still under development and profiles which are used in 9.50 cannot be used any longer in 9.24. So do not forget to backup.

Hairy_Palms
October 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
i use opera exclusively on windows, but the linux version nevermade me happy,

Pros
fast render
standards compliant
small download+ram usage
secure

Cons
Slow to startup in Gnome
has more page rendering errors than other browsers (not technically operas fault but still)
very unnative look in gnome
crashes lots, especially with widgets being used, havent tried the dev release but im not gonna untill its a stable release
despite the link posted before the mplayer plugin refuses to work with opera.

Colonel Kilkenny
October 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM
despite the link posted before the mplayer plugin refuses to work with opera.

You should use Gecko MediaPlayer which is replacement for Mplayerplugin. Mplayerplugin is old and no longer in development. Gecko MediaPlayer isfrom the same guy who wrote Mplayerplugin.

edit. Actually mplayerplugin might still be under development. But anyway, IIRC, the developer said somewhere that gecko mediaplayer can do pretty much everything mplayerplugin does.

derekr44
October 25th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I use Swiftfox. I tried Opera, but some sites appeared broken... like Yahoo Fantasy Hockey. The tables were completely out of alignment.

RAV TUX
October 25th, 2007, 11:57 PM
i use opera exclusively on windows, but the linux version nevermade me happy,

Pros
fast render
standards compliant
small download+ram usage
secure

Cons
Slow to startup in Gnome
has more page rendering errors than other browsers (not technically operas fault but still)
crashes lots, especially with widgets being used, havent tried the dev release but im not gonna untill its a stable release
despite the link posted before the mplayer plugin refuses to work with opera.What version are you using?

nikoPSK
November 28th, 2007, 05:03 AM
I use opera on my usb. But I prefer firefox for basic web use.

gn2
November 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Don't have any motivation to even try Opera, FF does all I need and I'm very happy with it.

samwyse
November 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I switched to Konqueror, because Flash 9 isn't usable with Opera. I have an other issue with Firefox (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3853178).

bailout
November 28th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I switched to Konqueror, because Flash 9 isn't usable with Opera.

Flash 9 is usable with Opera. Just copy the flash files to the Opera plugin directory. It isn't perfect because it isn't designed with Opera in mind but it works for most sites.

rahimveron
November 28th, 2007, 10:44 AM
How to scroll using the middle button in Opera 9.24?

samwyse
November 28th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Flash 9 is usable with Opera. Just copy the flash files to the Opera plugin directory. It isn't perfect because it isn't designed with Opera in mind but it works for most sites.
It crashes everytime you have two pages with flash content and close the other page. That's not usable.

PmDematagoda
November 28th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I tried to install Opera via Add/Remove on Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit but it told me that my architecture was not supported, so I'm going to download the .deb file myself and install it.

Anyway what happened with Kazehakase, RAV TUX:)? What made you do the switch to Opera?

PmDematagoda
November 28th, 2007, 12:17 PM
While I do realise that this is not a support thread, I just decided to post this one thing here so that it would be easier. When I try and run Opera in my Ubuntu 64 bit system it gives me this error:-

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
/usr/lib/opera/9.24-20071015.6/opera: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Could anyone tell me what this means and how I may solve it? Thanks:)

koleoptero
November 28th, 2007, 12:20 PM

And that's the reason I don't use Opera. It worked perfectly for me, with all the plugins etc. But I can't get it to look like it should in gnome. Damn Qt...

hugmenot
November 28th, 2007, 11:51 PM
And that's the reason I don't use Opera. It worked perfectly for me, with all the plugins etc. But I can't get it to look like it should in gnome. Damn Qt...

Opera is almost not using Qt. Most of Opera is a custom GUI kit.

D-EJ915
November 28th, 2007, 11:55 PM
How to scroll using the middle button in Opera 9.24?
Tools->Preferences->Advanced->Shortcuts->Middle Click Options

zenwhen
November 29th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I am not a big fan of opera. I never liked it on any platform. It just doesn't feel right to me. There has always been a better option.

screaminj3sus
November 29th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Opera is hideous in linux

D-EJ915
November 29th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Opera is hideous in linux
Why is it hideous in linux? It looks the same as in windows.

Only time I've had weird things is in the Solaris (Sparc) version it uses Motif as the toolkit so it is coloured as how you have your CDE environment and it weirds it up, but aside from that it's normal.

psyke83
November 29th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Did anyone notice that the poll options given in favour of Opera are (forgetting the last two joke answers): Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no (to which you must admit Opera's superiority), no? Talk about bias towards Opera, although I appreciate the option to vote "no" being there at all ;).

Seriously, Firefox's extensions can be very handy, although nowadays I get by purely using Adblock Plus (set to auto-update adblocking subscriptions) and Foxmarks to sync my bookmarks across computers.

I install Opera on machines with limited memory and it works well, but for personal use I find Firefox the superior browser.

prodigalson666
November 30th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I really like opera, firefox is old reliable though. Its just nice to have options.

D-EJ915
November 30th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Did anyone notice that the poll options given in favour of Opera are (forgetting the last two joke answers): Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no (to which you must admit Opera's superiority), no? Talk about bias towards Opera, although I appreciate the option to vote "no" being there at all ;).

Seriously, Firefox's extensions can be very handy, although nowadays I get by purely using Adblock Plus (set to auto-update adblocking subscriptions) and Foxmarks to sync my bookmarks across computers.

I install Opera on machines with limited memory and it works well, but for personal use I find Firefox the superior browser.
the poll has a lot of things wrong with it, so do most polls, it really doesn't matter

nikoPSK
November 30th, 2007, 02:44 AM
I dont like its bottorrent, i prefer utorrent.:popcorn:

vickiho
November 30th, 2007, 06:03 AM
It's confirmed -- Opera 9.5 (kestrel) crashes in Gutsy Gibbon. Every build of the beta. :( And I really liked Opera Link. Sigh.

RAV TUX
November 30th, 2007, 06:18 AM
It's confirmed -- Opera 9.5 (kestrel) crashes in Gutsy Gibbon. Every build of the beta. :( And I really liked Opera Link. Sigh.

Opera has never crashed for me once in gutsy or any other build of Ubuntu.

screaminj3sus
December 4th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Why is it hideous in linux? It looks the same as in windows.

Only time I've had weird things is in the Solaris (Sparc) version it uses Motif as the toolkit so it is coloured as how you have your CDE environment and it weirds it up, but aside from that it's normal.

The fonts and menus are HORRIBLE, and in windows I usually use windows native which looks good 9Obviously in windows)

n3tfury
December 4th, 2007, 02:50 AM
the poll has a lot of things wrong with it, so do most polls, it really doesn't matter

that's because some people can't keep things simple and it winds up a bloody mess.

n3tfury
December 4th, 2007, 02:50 AM
The fonts and menus are HORRIBLE, and in windows I usually use windows native which looks good 9Obviously in windows)

i have to agree. opera in ubuntu looks terrible compared to windows. sucks too because i love it.

s_spiff
December 4th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Well didn't know Opera was as much popular as the poll replies suggest. Personally, I didn't like the looks ( yes, i'm not the nerd who'll dump looks for features completely :D) which seems to be a rip off fromt he windows version. That said, somehow waiting for the x64 version, installing the 32bit deb means typing an extra line of command :P.
Hopefully someone will do something about the looks in the future developments.

D-EJ915
December 4th, 2007, 05:24 AM
If you have customized QT themes/etc Opera uses them, otherwise it'll use the theme's default.

af20001
December 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I don't regularly use it due to the look of the menus, as others have mentioned. I've still got it on my machine and use it from time to time. Always found it reliable though.

SomeGuyDude
December 4th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I need Firefox's extensions, particularly auto-copy, the download bar, Stylish, and Greasemonkey. Opera's script-thing doesn't always work when I attempt to throw a Greasemonkey script into it, which drives me up a wall.

screaminj3sus
December 5th, 2007, 01:32 AM
If you have customized QT themes/etc Opera uses them, otherwise it'll use the theme's default.

I've used opera in KDE distros and IMO it didn't look much better at all in KDE/QT

Colonel Kilkenny
December 5th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Opera's script-thing doesn't always work when I attempt to throw a Greasemonkey script into it, which drives me up a wall.

Although UserJS is stronger and has more "power" than Greasemonkey not all Greasemonkey scripts can be used with Opera UserJS.

And once again messieurs, dames: Opera uses Qt for certain GUI parts (and stuff like font handling etc). If you're using shared version, it will pick up your theme and won't look ugly (9.5 is bringing Qt4 with cleanlooks etc). You just need to have the correct libraries...
And if you are unable to install those packages just press alt+f11. Who needs menubar anyway? ;)

a12ctic
December 5th, 2007, 01:40 AM
epiphany > opera.

mdsmedia
December 5th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Did anyone notice that the poll options given in favour of Opera are (forgetting the last two joke answers): Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no (to which you must admit Opera's superiority), no? Talk about bias towards Opera, although I appreciate the option to vote "no" being there at all ;).I'm almost certain that was deliberate and slightly tongue in cheek. I may be wrong.

On the other hand, the question was about Opera, so RAV was looking for a bit more information in the poll...IF you DO use Opera.

Then if you don't use Opera the effective "opt out" is there.

smartboyathome
December 5th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I use opera, but not because I hate firefox (in fact, I <3 it). Reason I use it is because right now I favor stability + speed. I do miss my extentions, and will go back when FF3 becomes more stable.

harold4
December 5th, 2007, 01:56 AM
I use Opera 9.5 for a few intranet websites that don't play nice with Firefox. IMO, Opera 9.5 renders noticeably faster than Firefox.

nikoPSK
December 5th, 2007, 02:36 AM
The only reason I like opera is because of fastness and speed dial. Any speed dial like plug in for firefox?

smartboyathome
December 5th, 2007, 02:40 AM
The only reason I like opera is because of fastness and speed dial. Any speed dial like plug in for firefox?

Yep, here is one:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5721

cookies
December 5th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I'm in a toss up between Opera and Konqueror right now. I would use Opera completely, but Java = death for some reason....

nikoPSK
December 5th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Yep, here is one:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5721

Yaa! Thanks now all I need is some starcraft related plugin....:lolflag:

moe_syzlak
December 6th, 2007, 02:22 AM
yes it does. you need mozplugger tho

nikoPSK
December 6th, 2007, 03:17 AM
moz plugger? wheres the sc plugin!!! :lolflag:

miwaypet
December 6th, 2007, 04:28 AM
You can talk it to death if you want to. But, simply put, Opera is the best web browser around. I understand the way FireFox users are passionate about their fav browser. I feel that way about Opera. The lamest excuse for holding up FF over opera has to be the fact that it is open source. First off- how many games are you loving that are not open to your input. Don't hear much about that. Personally, I find that Opera is better because it has a dedicated group developing it who are open to outside suggestions, but know their product far better than outside users. That is why the browser and all its parts work seamlessly.

The second lamest excuse for choosing FF over Opera is the extensions. Why do you think that all that bloat will make FF better and more user friendly? It doesn't. In fact it dramatically increases its susceptibility to malicious attack. This is a fact: FF allows more bots through its defences than either Opera or IE. A quick run of spybot search and destroy will quickly confirm this. Check out Secunia's website for a true picture of the vulnerabilities if FF and IE as opposed to Opera.

I am a fan of Opera. I have used it continuously since v. 9 was released. I can do everything and anything I need done in Opera. And I for one am very grateful to the dedicated developers at Opera for having continued to grow and release this fine browser for use on the desktop, laptop, and mobile phone.

Ubuntu and Opera: simply the best combination.

jpittack
December 6th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I'm awaiting 64 bit Opera. Probably will not be my main though. Tried it in Windows and liked it. I like the idea of a built in torrent.

smartboyathome
December 6th, 2007, 07:02 AM
You can talk it to death if you want to. But, simply put, Opera is the best web browser around. I understand the way FireFox users are passionate about their fav browser. I feel that way about Opera. The lamest excuse for holding up FF over opera has to be the fact that it is open source. First off- how many games are you loving that are not open to your input. Don't hear much about that. Personally, I find that Opera is better because it has a dedicated group developing it who are open to outside suggestions, but know their product far better than outside users. That is why the browser and all its parts work seamlessly.

The second lamest excuse for choosing FF over Opera is the extensions. Why do you think that all that bloat will make FF better and more user friendly? It doesn't. In fact it dramatically increases its susceptibility to malicious attack. This is a fact: FF allows more bots through its defences than either Opera or IE. A quick run of spybot search and destroy will quickly confirm this. Check out Secunia's website for a true picture of the vulnerabilities if FF and IE as opposed to Opera.

I am a fan of Opera. I have used it continuously since v. 9 was released. I can do everything and anything I need done in Opera. And I for one am very grateful to the dedicated developers at Opera for having continued to grow and release this fine browser for use on the desktop, laptop, and mobile phone.

Safer than IE? Don't make me laugh. How can ActiveX be safer than firefox extentions? Also, extentions are useful, if you didn't know. I use them all the time. Also, one website doesn't make a theory true. Post more websites that have vulnerabilites for firefox to prove yourpoint.

mybunche
December 6th, 2007, 07:04 AM
I have tried Opera 9.24 but playing imbedded videos was poor.
Site rendering is better and smoother than firefox 2 for me, well in Ubuntu anyway. Opera has some very nice features though. I just wish the tab bar was below the URL bar.

I have just downloaded opera 9.50b for windows which I'm just trying out, using now actually. I hope 9.50 will work better in Ubuntu.

mdsmedia
December 10th, 2007, 11:16 AM

You can talk it to death, but simply put, Firefox is the best browser around.

The lamest excuse you can make for Opera is the non-open source games.... like that makes a difference to your choice of browsers. Games are generally not open source. I don't play many games. I do play one on Windows...hey look, I still use Windows...what a hypocrite I must be!!.....I also have to use Windows for my tax software. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't play that game.

The 2nd lamest arguement you can make for Opera is the Firefox extensions. Sorry, but I don't know that Opera has an equivalent for No-Script or Ad-Block. Hey, use your Windows anti-spyware software to find a fault in them. I'm NOT using Windows, so why should it matter?

Having said that, I don't mind Opera as a browser. I used it in preference to IE when I was using Windows, until Firefox came along. I used Opera because it was a "free" alternative to IE. Even if it was supported by ads. Then there was some confusion about the "free" Opera.... I couldn't get it for free anymore. Then I found Mozilla...then Firefox. Sorry...Opera lost me.

As for open source being a lame excuse, I think it's a GREAT REASON, rather than a lame excuse, but that depends on your leanings. You can take advantage of people creating things for you, and keep paying the Microsoft Tax if you want to. That's your decision.

n3tfury
December 10th, 2007, 02:09 PM
yay, more browser wars!!!

BORING

icecruncher
December 10th, 2007, 02:34 PM
lol, I just need adblock plus, noscript and downthemall

gfg
December 10th, 2007, 02:40 PM
This seems like a good place to ask, so does anyone now how to fix this?

The problem:When I press the address bar in opera it dosen't select the whole url like I am used to with opera in windows, and previous versions. I am using opera version 9.24. This might seem like a trivial thing but I find it so anyoing that I just can't stand it. So here I am seeking your help to resolve this issue. If anyone know how to resolve this issue I would greatly appreciate it, thanks in advance!

subs
December 10th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I simply can not break my addiction to certain Firefox extensions

I have got addicted to firefox and its addons & extensions....:lolflag::lolflag:

here are a few i use...

stumbleupon
greasemonkey
cooliris
nuke anything
web developer
firebug
fasterfox
colorzilla

lefen
December 10th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I love Opera under Ubuntu. I especially like how it thoughtfully made itself the default web-app for opening hyperlinks without my consent; a feature that I now can't seem to change :thumbsup:

gfg
December 10th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I love Opera under Ubuntu. I especially like how it thoughtfully made itself the default web-app for opening hyperlinks without my consent; a feature that I now can't seem to change :thumbsup:

I believe you can change this under System--Preferences-->Prefered Applications.

jingo811
December 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Firefox on Windows loading time 2 seconds.
Opera on Ubuntu loading time 3 seconds.
Swiftfox on Ubuntu loading time 3-4 seconds.
Firefox on Ubuntu loading time 4-5 seconds.

Even after having tweaked FF on Ubuntu like this the loading time is slower than on Windows.

Address Bar -> about:config

Filter: ->
network.dns.disableIPv6 -> true
network.http.pipelining -> true
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests -> 8
network.http.proxy.pipelining -> true

But I still use Firefox on Ubuntu because that's where I primarily build my websites. If more regular ppl use Opera then I have to re do all my work :(
So I don't recommend it to ppl not because it's bad in fact it's the best but they mess up my html.
So I only use Opera as backup when surfing is really slow.

razumok
December 12th, 2007, 03:20 AM
I would love to use Opera in linux like I did in windows... but, for some reason, opera have some problems dealing with webpages with a lot of embedded flash... until that's not solved, I guess I'll continue using firefox :(

angry_johnnie
December 14th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I must admit that opera does seem faster, but firefox has lots of useful extensions that opera doesn't. If i could get opera's equivalent to adblock, noscript, or even a decent translator, i'd use it more often:guitar:.

billgoldberg
December 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I don't use Opera. I never liked it and it will be a while untill I try it again.

The three browsers I use the most are.

1. Flock 1.0
2. Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.5
3. Firefox.

nikoPSK
December 14th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I couldn't get flash to work in it....

capink
December 28th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I'm currently trying to make opera my default browser. It is promising. Here are few points:

1. The default look is ugly. I did not find any single theme that satisfied me. On the positive side, tweaking opera themes is extremely easy and intuitive. I was able to figure it out by just looking at the skin.ini. So I made my own custom skin by mixing some parts from other themes. The skin is attached below if anyone is interested. Just place it in ~/.opera/skin and select it in opera.

Note: I was not able to edit opera themes in Linux. It seems that this because the zip version needed for opera skins is version 2.0 , while linux frontends for zip like file-roller create zip arcihves in version 1.0

2. Even after fixing the skin, the menus looked ugly in xfce. I did not want to install kdelibs. I found a solution to this by installing a package called polymer. This package allow people without kde libs to have qt programs use a theme similar to plastik. To take advantage of it:

sudo apt-get install polymer qt3-qtconfig

Launch qtconfig-qt3

Select polymer as your gui style.

3. I did not like having the tabs bar above the address bar. Moving the tabs bar below was no possible. But a solution to this is possible by removing the address bar and placing the address box into the main toolbar like this:

Tools > Appearance > Toolbars > Uncheck the address bar
Tools > Appearance > Buttons > Browser view > drag the address box to you main toolbar and place it where you want.

N.B: you can just use this method (http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/tab-bar-below-address-bar) instead.

4. One serious usability feature is the when I open a lot of tabs, opera just keep cluttering them on the tab bar while decreasing the tab size. Specifying pagebar mini width in skin.ini did not solve this problem. In firefox there is a handy scroll bar that opens a list of all tabs.

5. I have not yet found a way of auotmatically starting the transfers on a separate window. I can detach it but I want it done automatically.

6. The delete private data on exit in firefox is nice. Not possible on Opera.

7. Firefox extension are nice. The one that I miss is unplug which fetchs download links for embedded media from sites. I tried a couple of opera userjs but they did not work. Another extension I miss is Media Player Connectivity. By the way, here (http://files.myopera.com/Rijk/blog/extensions.html) is a link to some opera equivalents for firefox extensions.

8. For this using kde, is it possible to run kaffeine as plugin for opera instead of mplayer? is it any good?

LaRoza
December 28th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I use Opera 9.5b and love it.

cwej
December 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I use Opera as my "safe" browser, and Firefox for general browsing...

Maupertus
January 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Why owh Why can't I run Opera on Ubuntu64 *snif, snif*

mr.propre
January 6th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Opera User for a long time, longer than I use Linux, before Firefox was born :lolflag:

Main reason is security, don't care that it is closed.
I also don't use Linux because 'its open' I use it because I like it more than windows, its more stable and its more secure than windows.

nikoPSK
January 6th, 2008, 11:24 PM
The new beta Is awesome. :p

chips24
January 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
the creators decided the didnt want to make it compatible with 7.10

Fudoublez
January 18th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I just love opera, customizeable beautiful skins, built in torrent program, fast, the plugins work, whats not to love?

TheKid965
January 31st, 2008, 05:53 PM
A latecomer to this thread...

I use Firefox as my primary browser and I want to like Opera, but there are a few things about it I just don't "get" enough to make the full-on switch. To wit: I may be the only one on Earth who thinks this way, but I do not like having visited links be differently-colored than ones I haven't clicked yet. Not only do I find it highly distracting from a visual perspective, but too many websites out there use some rather ugly color combinations for this. In Firefox I can turn this feature off (Edit/Tools* -> Preferences -> History tab -> uncheck "Remember visited pages for x days" box), but I haven't found any way to do it in Opera. It's a minor thing, just a pet peeve really, but it's personally annoying. All I ask is a way to turn it off if I want it that way.
Flash in Opera requires you to click once inside the applet window before said applet will accept any input (keyboard or otherwise). It's necessary every time the window/tab containing the applet loses focus. In Firefox it's just necessary to give that window/tab focus. For Flash-based games, this can be bothersome. Again, I only wish for a way to make this an optional feature rather than a hard-coded default.
Some sites I visit regularly act very strange in Opera, and a few just display ASCII garbage when I'm expecting to see (say, for instance) a newspaper comic. Compatibility issue, perhaps?
I miss the feature in Firefox of having dynamically-updated RSS feeds on the Bookmarks toolbar. Opera just turns such feeds into links, requiring you to use the full RSS aggregator it contains. Which is fine, but I find it a bit inconvenient to open up another tab just to see what's been updated. Opera support for something like this would be very much appreciated from these quarters.That's about it, really. I don't want to bust on Opera, as I find it a very nice piece of software (the fact it's not OSS changes this perception not a whit; after all, in the eyes of RMS and his followers, even Firefox isn't truly "free software") with a lot going for it. But unless and until I can work around these little annoyances, I don't think I can use it as my primary browser.

That is, unless anyone reading this thread has any suggestions... ^^;;

* - It's the Edit menu in Linux, Tools in Windows.

jfdill_2
January 31st, 2008, 10:32 PM
I used Opera under Linux only for specific web sites that normally only work with Internet Explorer so that I don't have to reboot into Windows or start up VirtualBox. There is one particular web app I use at work that has some Javascript routines that don't work right in Firefox.

Crinos512
January 31st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Why owh Why can't I run Opera on Ubuntu64 *snif, snif*

??
I use it on Ubuntu x64... try this linky:
http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-1772/x86_64-linux/opera_9.50-20080124.2-shared-qt_amd64.deb

it works awesome (and SOO fast.)

:popcorn:

rosegarden78
February 18th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I installed Opera from the repos but had to use the latest Beta from opera.com to get Flash working. It was a pain to setup but visually it's beautiful and fast. I would use it again if the technical problems with plugins hadn't left me with a bad first impression.

v.cube
February 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM

How to access the built in IRC client???

v.cube
February 19th, 2008, 09:27 AM
i love opera, but would like improvements like

Complete Save for web pages,
Ctrl+Click should open in New Tab and not Shift+Click,
Should not go Transfers Windows immediately

v.cube
February 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I must admit that opera does seem faster, but firefox has lots of useful extensions that opera doesn't. If i could get opera's equivalent to adblock, noscript, or even a decent translator, i'd use it more often:guitar:.

i completely agree:popcorn:

RAV TUX
February 19th, 2008, 09:39 AM
How to access the built in IRC client???click on chat, then connect to Freenode, then simply connect to the channels you desire.

v.cube
February 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM
click on chat, then connect to Freenode, then simply connect to the channels you desire.

Where is "Chat" in Opera??

RAV TUX
February 19th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Where is "Chat" in Opera??Top menu

capink
February 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Should not go Transfers Windows immediately
[/LIST]

On the transfer window click view > show transfers in backgorund when starting download

Akovia
February 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM
i love opera, but would like improvements like

Complete Save for web pages,
Ctrl+Click should open in New Tab and not Shift+Click.
Should not go Transfers Windows immediately,

Not sure what you mean by complete save but I've never had a problem saving pages.I actually like to use the "save as .mht" feature so everything is in a single file. Do you mean saving an entire site?

You can edit that right from the GUI.
Ctl+F12 >> Advanced >>Keyboard Setup >> Edit
This has a search function as well to help sort all the key bindings. Check out this page for further customization including custom mouse gestures.
http://operawiki.info/EditingINIFiles

type the following into the address window:
opera:config
Go to this setting - "Activate On New Transfer" and un-tick the box, then save changes.

You can just scroll down to the TransferWindow heading, or start typing into the search window and it will filter results as you type. Some sections only have a few settings available like BitTorrent, and others have over 200 like User Prefs. It's worth a look if you've never checked it out before just to see what settings you can adjust.

I must admit that opera does seem faster, but firefox has lots of useful extensions that opera doesn't. If i could get opera's equivalent to adblock, noscript, or even a decent translator, i'd use it more often

As far as adblock, here's a snippet from the wiki

Opera 9 has added a solid ad banner blocker, under the guise of a generic "content blocker". (This indirect name is presumably only there to keep a good corporate image.)

Opera has extensive scripting control built right in as well. You can control it on the fly with F12 to turn on/off java, javascript, images, sounds, cookies,pop-ups, etc.. You can fine tune those options further through the Preferences menu and can set all those options easy on a per site basis. (R-Click>>Edit Site Preferences) Since I'm a mouse person I just drag toggle buttons to my toolbar to turn on/off java, etc..

I don't use the translator too often but it has been fine when I have and it's built into the Right-Click Menu as well. Just select some text and go.

I highly reccomend checking out the wiki if you never have. Chances are that if you think you are missing a feature or think something should work a different way, there is a way to do it. FYI - In the latest beta (9.5+) they have introduced synchronyzing of bookmarks and Speed-Dial from anywhere as well as support for HTML editors like FCKeditor.

Cheers,
Ako

CaptainCabinet
February 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I've been wanting to try the Opera browser for a while but haven't got round to it. Maybe nows a good time. :)
I've always been a Firefox man myself...