PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this article on toms hardware?

-Ghost9-
July 20th, 2007, 04:14 PM
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32967/113/

all about moving from windows to other os's. this one focuses on ubuntu.

dreadlord_chris
July 20th, 2007, 04:39 PM
That was a pretty damn good article...

ddrichardson
July 20th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Fair handed article. One thing always intrigues me though when anyone is discussing migrating to Ubuntu:

The default GNome environment is more than adequate by any standards I've been able to come up with. It is comparable in function to Windows and any new users should not have any issues migrating to it.

Comparable in function? This issue seems to come up time and again that there is a learning curve with the GUI.

As anyone who has moved on with Windows since its older incarnations must have noticed the Windows GUI itself changes radically between incarnations. I've never seen why people don't remark on how difficult it can be to find things that you were used to in the last Windows version - the Control Panel layout for example between 2000 and XP.

Individuality in the window manager is IMHO one of Linux's greatest strengths.

AlexenderReez
July 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM
At this point, many people's natural reaction to Linux will be something along the lines of: “Ewe!” Well, the times have definitely changed - even from a couple years ago. Linux is not the command-line based quagmire-enigma it once was. There is a very competent GUI sitting atop a small, yet powerful base which is still there in the command-line world should you choose to use it. Our latest adventure into the Linux space suggest that anyone who hasn't found Linux desirable in the past to give modern distros like Ubuntu a try. There have been advancements and the time may be ripe for the migration for some.

i'm proud using ubuntu...huhu

:) :KS