PDA

View Full Version : Just another I love Ubuntu anecdote

tcpip4lyfe
July 20th, 2007, 03:23 PM
So I found an old ATI wonder remote laying in my basement. My computer is my TV and for the last year or so I've needed a remote so I wouldn't have to get up and press the up arrow to change channels. I plugged in the USB receiver and tried the remote and it didn't do anything, not surprisingly because I have an Nvidia graphic card and some generic TV tuner. I figured it was going to be a 2 or 3 day ordeal learning how to map keys to the remote and getting the right driver for it and what not. Not really wanting to get into all that I just set the remote down and forgot about it.

This morning I rebooting because something went haywire and when I logged in my cursor was moving by itself. WTF how do I fix this? I sat back in my chair and realized that coffee mug was laying on the ATI remote. I moved the coffee mug and the cursor stopped moving. "No way did the ATI remote start working after restarting." I fired up TVtime and channel, fullscreen, and volume work fine.

I went to console.

josh@josh-desktop:~$ lsmod | grep remote
ati_remote 12296 0
usbcore 134280 7 ati_remote,usbhid,usb_storage,libusual,ehci_hcd,oh ci_hcd

Serious attention to detail like this is why I love using linux.

DoctorMO
July 20th, 2007, 04:07 PM
it's a usb device produced by ati as a serial hid device? (human input device) glad you got it working :-)