PDA

View Full Version : eMachine Laptop Romp

DoctorMO
July 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I just wanted to sing the praises of ubuntu 7.04; You can inspire awe even in a seasoned linux pro like myself...

I was given the task of moving an eMachine laptop from windows xp to ubuntu last week, I installed generic feisty fawn... what I was amazed by was that all the little extra buttons work, volume level, media keys everything. it also goes into standby and does all that nifty stuff out the box; the best part was that the gfx card is supported by the free driver so it worked, even when I turned on Compiz (which worked really well for an onboard GFX too) I didn't need to install _anything_ extra.

There was only one problem with the entire setup, the wifi is rather delicate; it needed to use ndiswrapper, ndis can't decide if the wifi should be called eth1 or wlan0 so the settings never seem to stabelise. it's also not very good trying to get it to roam but that could be a related problem. I guess I might have mis-stepped with ndiswrapper. but this sort of just points out to me why we need to make sure all wifi drivers are open source so we don't get these problems.

Anyway other than that a very good install; well done team ubuntu.

Hex_Mandos
July 20th, 2007, 12:13 AM
I second your praise for Feisty. I'm using Ubuntu on my two week old Olivetti laptop (Olibook 810, but don't bother looking for it unless you live in Argentina or Mercosur countries). Everything except the default resolution was immediately detected, and even then I got a usable 1024*768 (Windows 2k gives me 640*480 @ 16 colors...). Other than that, it's perfect.