PDA

View Full Version : Humour and People

LaRoza
July 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I have a question that I would like as much input as possible from as many different types of people.

This question is about humour. Basically why some people find certain things funny while others don't and why those same people can find similar things funny.

This is based off of the fact my mother and I both enjoy certain movies but she cannot find humour in some things I like. I noticed that the humour I like has a wider range, this might be due to experiences or age, but I would like your input.

In particular, I find certain movies like Ace Ventura funny while my mother doesn't. But we both like Naked Gun and Airplane. We also love "My Favorite Year".

(Please forget the fact that I have a higher tolerance for sexual references in movies, even when such content is absent she doesn't like the some of the comedy I like)

tcoffeep
July 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I don't know really.

I find jokes that are risque and offensive to be funnier than anything, but everyone else around me doesn't enjoy it. I've often wondered the same thing.

lepz
July 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM
People are different, that's what makes it such fun. I hate Ace whatshesname but love Naked Gun and Airplane :)

dfreer
July 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I think with movies, whether the movie is funny or not can depend on who you watch it with. For example, I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail with a bunch of friends who loved it, and found it hilarious. But I just watched Robin Hood: Men in Tights by myself, and really didn't like it, and they are very similiar in humour.

tbroderick
July 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM
They are all funny. Except with some of the sequels where the joke wears off. I'm looking at you Austin Powers. Robin Hood is not one of my favorite Mel Brooks films. I like others a lot better. I also like a lot of the silent films of Chaplin, Keaton, etc. There's Something About Mary is my favorite funny film.

LaRoza
July 19th, 2007, 02:44 PM
They are all funny. Except with some of the sequels where the joke wears off. I'm looking at you Austin Powers. Robin Hood is not one of my favorite Mel Brooks films. I like others a lot better. I also like a lot of the silent films of Chaplin, Keaton, etc. There's Something About Mary is my favorite funny film.

I love Chaplin's films, (I am related to him, but that is not why), but I was limited in the poll to ten, and was distracted while making it. (and I wanted to make it probable that most poll responders where familiar with the movies)

tcpip4lyfe
July 19th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I love the bizarre and random (tim and eric) as well as the well crafted joke. (dennis miller on hbo)

slimdog360
July 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM
ive never heard of 'my favourite year'

LaRoza
July 19th, 2007, 03:20 PM
ive never heard of 'my favourite year'

It is a very good movie and funny too. I suggest you watch it. It is slightly old, but since the movie itself is about the 50's, it doesn't matter. The humour is different than the other movies listed.

Nezing
July 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I think Steve Ballmer is one of the funniest people on the planet.:popcorn:

arsenic23
July 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Men in tights was ok, and the first Ausin Powers movie had it's moments, but I don't really care for any of those films.

Comedies I like include:
Ghostbusters
Waterboy
Hot Fuzz
Little Miss Sunshine

LaRoza
July 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Men in tights was ok, and the first Ausin Powers movie had it's moments, but I don't really care for any of those films.

Comedies I like include:
Ghostbusters
Waterboy
Hot Fuzz
Little Miss Sunshine

What type of humour would you say you like?

arsenic23
July 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
What type of humour would you say you like?

Umm... the awsome kind?

No, really, I have no idea what you'd call my sense of humor. Broken maybe?

LaRoza
July 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Umm... the awsome kind?

No, really, I have no idea what you'd call my sense of humor. Broken maybe?

Humour is difficult to classify, I personally say my mum has "serious humour" :D.

Onyros
July 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Apart from Monty Python's movies and Flying Circus, my favourite comedy ever was "The Man Who Knew Too Little" (title is a parody on Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much"), with Bill Murray (and yeah, I have to admit I have a special place in my heart for the "Groundhog Day").

I have to stress this: it has NOTHING to do with Monty Python's kind of humour, yet it struck something.

Also, my favourite series right now are "The Office" (both the British with Ricky Gervaise, and the American version with Steve Carell) and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" which is top of the tops for me, Larry David is a friggin' genius.

Even so, nowadays most comedies suck. It's hard to find really funny comedies nowadays, especially with the proliferation of those completely idiotic "Scream" parodies, which are just horrid. Also, Adam Sandler's movies?... I abhorr those. Only movie I ever liked that he was in was "Punch Drunk Love" and it's far from a comedy.

Hex_Mandos
July 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Damián Szifrón's "Tiempo de Valientes". I don't know if it was released outside Argentina, and I don't know if non-argentinians would understand half the jokes in it (or rather, the spirit of it), but it's a masterpiece.

LaRoza
July 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Apart from Monty Python's movies and Flying Circus, my favourite comedy ever was "The Man Who Knew Too Little" (title is a parody on Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much"), with Bill Murray (and yeah, I have to admit I have a special place in my heart for the "Groundhog Day").

I have to stress this: it has NOTHING to do with Monty Python's kind of humour, yet it struck something.

Also, my favourite series right now are "The Office" (both the English with Ricky Gervaise, and the American version with Steve Carell) and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" which is top of the tops for me, Larry David is a friggin' genius.

The "Office", isn't that some how related to the city of Scranton (the American version)?

bonzodog
July 19th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I like intelligent, well thought humour with depth - I find things like naked gun and airplane just plain childish and silly.

Monty python however was very cleverly written, and I love the way the scripts are done. I also like the Marx brothers stuff from the 30's .

Red Dwarf was funny, but I think spoofs, especially those with mel brooks involved, are just childish - the humour is more embarrassing than anything.

Onyros
July 20th, 2007, 02:37 AM
The "Office", isn't that some how related to the city of Scranton (the American version)?Yep, Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Normally, American versions of British originals are worse (e.g. Coupling) but this time around, they've done an incredible job, actually surpassing the original series (in my view).

But... Python rules :D