PDA

View Full Version : Free (as in Beer) computer experiment.

VoiceOvGod
July 19th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Hi folks,

I am trying to build a computer for free (Free as in Beer). I.e. free hardware, free software, etc.

My goal is to build a working computer with parts donated from people.

If anyone has any spare parts that they wish to donate, I would be very interested.

Thanks in advance!

scrooge_74
July 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Hum....but you need to tell us where you are so we can tell you if you can walk here :)

VoiceOvGod
July 19th, 2007, 02:28 PM
But that information is too useful!

I'm in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.

Whelpo
July 20th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Hi folks,

I am trying to build a computer for free (Free as in Beer). I.e. free hardware, free software, etc.
My goal is to build a working computer with parts donated from people.
If anyone has any spare parts that they wish to donate, I would be very interested.

Thanks in advance!

Please explain this free beer thing you mentioned. Is this computer going to be dispensing beer? If so, enlighten me as to how one can create a beer vending machine out of spare parts... I could use one of those! ;)

What kind of parts are you looking for? Anything in particular? I may have some left overs that I collected from old computers.

VoiceOvGod
July 20th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Please explain this free beer thing you mentioned. Is this computer going to be dispensing beer? If so, enlighten me as to how one can create a beer vending machine out of spare parts... I could use one of those! ;)

What kind of parts are you looking for? Anything in particular? I may have some left overs that I collected from old computers.

Well, I managed to get the keg mounted. Had to use ext2 however. ;)

So far, I have nothing, mainly because its been hard getting started. I'll take whatever you want to donate.

Whelpo
July 22nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Well I have an old pci sound card and ethernet card lying around somewhere but that depends on the motherboard you end up with. Once you get your hands on a motherboard we can talk more about what I have that may be useful to you.

VoiceOvGod
July 25th, 2007, 01:48 PM
The Mobo seems to be the primary obstacle, really; considering so much depends on it...

Whelpo
July 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately I don't have any spare mobos... but I have a lone processor lying around, it's a 933 MHz pentium 2 if I remember right. Not 100% sure if it still works after my move here but it should... if you can find it a home it's yours.