PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Application to create pdfs?

urukrama
July 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I'm looking for something that allows me to create pdfs in Ubuntu, specifically to convert multiple files (especially image files like .jpg) into a single pdf file.

OpenOffice's convert to pdf is handy, as is using cups to print to pdf, but I haven't seen anything yet that allows you to easily convert a bunch of files into a single pdf file.

In Windows, I used Adobe Acrobat Proffessional, but that doesn't work in Linux. Any suggestions?

WinterWeaver
July 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM
give Scribus a go... it's a very good app, quite like Quark (which was used by publishers back in the day, before Adobe InDesign)

urukrama
July 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I used to have scribus installed. Does it do that? I want something were you can just select a bunch of files and then let the application create a pdf (ie., not something where you first have to load each individual picture and arrange them a bit, etc.) I never really used Scribus, but I'll reinstall it and check it out. Thanks for the quick reply.

WinterWeaver
July 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM
hmm... no... scribus does not do that afaik.... you have to manually bring every pic into a page.

do a quick search on the forums for this. I've looked for PDF editors before, and there are quite a bunch out there. Some are quite horrible though lmao.

helliewm
July 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Try PDF Edit. The latest ver ion is available at www.getdeb.net.

Helen

urukrama
July 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of pdf edit applications around, but I haven't seen one to easily create pdfs. I searched the forums and google, but had no success.

Incense
July 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Just install Cups-PDF and, add the PDF printer, and anything you can print, you can make into a PDF. Works great!

sudo apt-get install cups-pdf

urukrama
July 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I know you can use cups to create pdfs, but it isn't really practical if you have to make a single pdf file out of say 150 jpg files.

Dragonbite
July 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM
So are you looking for something like Acrobat where I can pull in multiple files (multiple PDFs, or not) and re-arrange their order, edit text/images of them and save it as a PDF?

urukrama
July 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM
exactly!

Dragonbite
July 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Add one more person interested in finding a tool like that . My work is heavy on PDFs and it's rubbing off on me :)

urukrama
July 19th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I'm really surprised there isn't something like that, or if there is, that it isn't more known.

eddin
July 20th, 2007, 01:01 AM
you can try pdftk, which is found in the repositories. be warn that it is CL-based.

dshuck
July 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I know it isn't terribly practical for everyone since not everyone writes CFML code, but Adobe ColdFusion 8 releasing within the next... well... soon.... has this ability. I have been working with the beta release and it allows very smooth PDF creation and merging of documents. I may try to write a web-based application to do this down the line after its public release.

Jose Catre-Vandis
July 20th, 2007, 04:29 PM
pdftk is the way to go at the moment, and once you have learned a few of the stock commands, it would be easy to apply them to scripts in order to simplify batch processing.

urukrama
January 21st, 2008, 04:03 PM
I finally found the application I was looking for: gscan2pdf (http://gscan2pdf.sourceforge.net/)

It is exactly what I wanted. You can scan to pdf or create a single pdf file from multiple pages.

quinnten83
January 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM
I finally found the application I was looking for: gscan2pdf (http://gscan2pdf.sourceforge.net/)

It is exactly what I wanted. You can scan to pdf or create a single pdf file from multiple pages.

man only took you 6 months...
(so far for the benefits of open source :()
:(:(:(:(

Mateo
January 21st, 2008, 06:23 PM
I used to want to do the same thing to keep things like receipts and bank statements. But I found that saving as png and archiving via tar files would just as well. They'll even open in evince or your favorite comic reader.

urukrama
January 22nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
man only took you 6 months...
(so far for the benefits of open source :()
:(:(:(:(

Better late than never. :-)

Mateo: I do the same and use Comix to view my archived scanned images. Sometimes I need to email scanned files in a pdf format to someone, though, and gscan2pdf is excellent for that.