PDA

View Full Version : Shipit CD quality control

mips
July 19th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Has anyone experienced issues with cd's they received from shipit ?

I wanted to show someone Kubuntu today and none of the 2 cd's I got would work. Testing the CDs reveal they have errors. The Ubuntu CD I have on the other hand boots fine and has no errors.

On closer inspection holding the CDs up to the light reveals they have an oval irregular dull patter around the inside of the disk. Something similair to cd rot but not exactly the same..

Obor
July 19th, 2007, 10:55 AM
On closer inspection holding the CDs up to the light reveals they have an oval irregular dull patter around the inside of the disk. Something similair to cd rot but not exactly the same..

Mine have the same oval thing when I look up to the light but they work fine.

Lets hope it doesn't happen to too many people who rely on shipit cds. If would pi$$ me off if I was waiting 6 weeks for a faulty disk (even though its free) :(

guitarmaniac
July 19th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Yeah I had this problem with Breezy out of a whole small box of CDs less than half worked.
Everything else has been OK for me so far though.

mips
July 19th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Mine have the same oval thing when I look up to the light but they work fine.

Mine worked fine initially when I received them a while back but now it's a no-go. Maybe check yours again to see if they haven't deteriorated.

BrokeBody
July 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Same here, although they (still) work.

wolfen69
July 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
i think your better off using high quality media, check md5, and verify after burn. that way you are assured of a quality disc.

mips
July 20th, 2007, 11:11 AM
i think your better off using high quality media, check md5, and verify after burn. that way you are assured of a quality disc.

Fortunately I have the Alternate iso which I burned to a disk. I have no issues with my personal burns going back years so your advice is sound ;)

Zzl1xndd
July 20th, 2007, 11:28 AM
So far I havn't had any issues. I run a small Linux group so I normally put in a request for 10 or so at a time and so far all of them have worked.

BrokeBody
July 20th, 2007, 02:11 PM
btw, I've noticed this only on Kubuntu CDs. :-k

jclmusic
July 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
never had any problems, tho i've always ordered ubuntu cds, not kubuntu.

Zzl1xndd
July 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM
never had any problems, tho i've always ordered ubuntu cds, not kubuntu.

This is also a good point I normally order Ubuntu as well. Iv only ever ordered 3 Kubuntu cds

mips
July 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM

I ordered a mixed bag of ubuntu, kubuntu 32 & 64 bit cds. I only see this on the Kubuntu cds as well. The Ubuntu ones work fine.

bobbocanfly
July 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM
My Feisty one was perfect, came within a week or so of me ordering it no problems. Shame for people that get faulty disks

Compucore
July 22nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
I usually do when I burn my own cd's of ISO. I usually have them tested for the burn. a verification if you will when they are done. So that I know that the burn went well. I don't know if you do this as well MIPS. But that is what I do with my trusty 8,4,32 cd burner.

Fortunately I have the Alternate iso which I burned to a disk. I have no issues with my personal burns going back years so your advice is sound ;)

Compucore

CristiZ
August 7th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I ordered Ubuntu some time ago and I didn't got it.. now I wrote the same address and data and they won't shipit.. I don't know why. They refuse all of my requests. Help plz!!

BrokeBody
August 7th, 2007, 11:42 PM

Oh, just found one on of my Ubuntu CDs. :mrgreen:

mips
August 23rd, 2007, 05:34 PM
Now the Ubuntu cd's are doing it as well, battling to read them.

Edit:
Ok, I had no luck using the cds on my laptop, to many errors. So I tried to back them up with k3b on my desktop but also got errors there. My last resort was to simply to create a iso file from the cd on my desktop at a very low speed. I wrote this iso back to a cd-r and all is well with that disk. So if you ever get stuck with a cd that does not want to work and you can't download one try the above.

mips
December 9th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I have the same problems with the new 7.10 Kubuntu cds. My desktop will not even read the cd, never mind boot it. my laptop reads them with great difficulty.

I give up, next time I will just dl the iso images, shipit cds suck although free.