PDA

View Full Version : "What chipset is this wireless card?" "PCI"

macogw
July 19th, 2007, 05:04 AM
I saw this wireless card (http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/8c/72/b222_1.JPG) at Best Buy (American chain computer store), and since I have a Broadcom-based wireless card in this computer right now, I thought I'd ask what chipset that card was. If it was Atheros or RaLink, that'd be awesome, right? The package gives no hint, so I asked the nearest sales guy what chipset it was. He said PCI. I pointed out that that's the bus, not the chipset, and he went "oh...yeah...chipset? I don't know." So, I wandered a bit trying to see if any of the display computers had an internet connection on which I could look it up, but no such luck.

I took it over to Geek Squad (their tech support / computer repair people), and waited in line while a guy tried to say that his inability to install iTunes on Vista should fall under the category of a warranty issue to get the lady at Geek Squad to install it for him without charging him the $30 software installation fee. When it was my turn, I asked what chipset it was. She looked at it, and said "PCI." I repeated, "no, chipset, not the bus." And again, she said, "PCI." Hoping, this could fall under the category of "brain fart" and that I could nudge her train of thought in the right direction (she works for Geek Squad...a geek knows that chipset ≠ bus, so this is just a blip, right?), I said, "No, PCI's the bus, I'm asking about chipset," and she responded, again, this time pointing at the phrase "PCI Adapter," "it's PCI." OK, obviously a rather dim bulb. Time to talk to her like she's 5. My voice was starting to get an edge to it because this woman has no business working in computer repair when she doesn't even know that PCI is a bus. "The bus means how it connects here *points to shiny gold part* and goes in the slot. The chipset is all these little circuitry bits all over--" "Ma'am, don't speak to me like that." Well, gee, lady, you're the poseur pretending to know about computers. From any random person, perfectly acceptable response. Unacceptable from a "geek."

Finally, she asked what it's for (not relevant!), but I answered truthfully, "my desktop running Linux," and she Googled it. She said it was a Broadcom (damn) and that there's no Linux drivers. I told her that there may not be ones for n (n isn't even a finished spec yet!), but in general, Broadcom is supported for unencrypted connections, and that card can do B & G, of which at least B is supported (not sure about G), meaning it would work, just without the N speed-boost, but given that my current one is a Broadcom too, this wouldn't be any sort of improvement.

One of my cousins said I should've asked to speak to her supervisor and told them about her lack of knowledge, but I rather doubt the supervisor would've been any better. Between the experiences I've had with them, those friends have had ("Linux kills hard drives"???), and stories I've seen, I'm starting to think Best Buy has a policy against hiring knowledgeable people. I will back this up by adding that although 3 times while shopping there the salespeople have asked if I wanted a job because I kept asking questions about specs they couldn't answer and correcting them (the Turion64 X2 is not a desktop processor!), their computerized application / personality test always rejects me (of course, this is before the interview where I could show I know my stuff). And then they hire people like this.

FuturePilot
July 19th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Lol. I find it funny how someone can get a job like that and not have a clue about computers.
I don't think the Geek Squad is all it's hyped up to be. I've heard plenty of other horror stories about them.

mattva01
July 19th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Geek squad is too busy setting up cameras in showers to read "Computer hardware for Newbs"
Its a common mistake but not one that a "geek" should be making.

Spr0k3t
July 19th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Hey macogw... that Linksys card might be broadcom, it might be ralink, and it might be atheros. It seems Linksys likes to use a single chipset for their initial run of hardware and then change out the chipset once the hardware/software work. If it was atheros (AR5008 ), it could have worked on 32bit Linux... 64bit on the other hand... doubtful. I've got an AR5008 card from DLink that will show up, but doesn't do anything with drivers. Out of all the 802.11n atheros chipsets, it looks like AR5008 may be the first supported.

We'll see. Typical Geek squad response. Just keep in mind there are exceptions to the rule out there.

Polygon
July 19th, 2007, 09:18 AM
heh, i was in a information technology class with a guy who worked on the geek squad, and he knew quite a bit about computers, and even some about linux, so i'm guessing you just got the short straw.

but come on, even my brother who is 12 years old knows the differences between a bus (pci) and teh chipset. that really IS unacceptable if she is working on the geek squad and does not know that simple detail.