PDA

View Full Version : My Winnie has expired :)

BrokeBody
July 18th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Well, it was a short enjoyment... :rolleyes:

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/2192/untitleddz4.png (http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2326/untitledja6.png)

This is my 5th or 6th time in the past five years that I had to format my hard drive and install Windows XP again, but it seems like it was enough. :lolflag:

Paul820
July 18th, 2007, 11:38 PM
If you are activating it over the internet then that's why you are getting that message. Doing it over the internet you only get so many chances to do it that way. You can telephone the activation and it will work. There is not a limit on how many times you activate windows, it says in the manual i got.

smoker
July 18th, 2007, 11:43 PM
you get a 'free' activation if you enter mr gates bank balance correctly instead of a code! :-)

lisati
July 18th, 2007, 11:49 PM
The copy of Win98SE on my old 133MHz machine doesn't have this limitation - although it asks for the key on "clean" installs, it doesn't ask for on-line activation. It's just a pain tracking down the manual with the certificate on the back. I think Mr Gates and his team have wised up to people making copies......or as has been suggested perhaps it's a contest to guess their current bank balance.

BrokeBody
July 19th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Every time I did a clean install, it was asking for product key and I entered it. After the installation, I always activated it over the Internet and that's it. No phones and ****.

MetalOverlord
July 19th, 2007, 04:36 AM
you get a 'free' activation if you enter mr gates bank balance correctly instead of a code! :-)

:lolflag:

It wouldn't surprise me if that were actually true!

Kingsley
July 19th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Time for you to visit a serial site. :-$

EdThaSlayer
July 19th, 2007, 05:22 AM
I'm glad my Windows cd-key still works. Still have 2 more years until it expires(or if it even expires).

Tundro Walker
July 19th, 2007, 10:00 AM
MS doesn't beat around the bush about it any more, do they?

forrestcupp
July 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Every time I did a clean install, it was asking for product key and I entered it. After the installation, I always activated it over the Internet and that's it. No phones and ****.

Well, those days are gone. Now you have to use the phone. It's no big deal. I've done it before.

Just a warning, though. When you call in, it will take you through an automated system where you will speak each section of the code then it will read you a code to enter into the computer. This will not work either, but you have to go through it.

When this doesn't work, they will send you to a real person who will ask you if this is the only computer that this copy of Windows is installed on. Then you will explain that you have had to reinstall your system a lot of times, and yes, this is the only computer that this copy of Windows is on. Then he will give you the code to activate.

What a pain. Why, Microsoft, why?

BrokeBody
July 19th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Well, those days are gone. Now you have to use the phone. It's no big deal. I've done it before.

Just a warning, though. When you call in, it will take you through an automated system where you will speak each section of the code then it will read you a code to enter into the computer. This will not work either, but you have to go through it.

When this doesn't work, they will send you to a real person who will ask you if this is the only computer that this copy of Windows is installed on. Then you will explain that you have had to reinstall your system a lot of times, and yes, this is the only computer that this copy of Windows is on. Then he will give you the code to activate.

What a pain. Why, Microsoft, why?

:lolflag:

Nezing
July 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Hey.When I installed Feisty in May,I did not see any of that!! :o

:guitar:

dca
July 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM
It's interesting calling them up and explaining the deal to them which is exactly how 'forrestcupp' describes it. When they start all the Q&A (blather) on machine specifics and only machine, yada yada, start going off on them about how every six months even with NAV & Spybot installed I have to go through with re-imaging this HDD because of all the crap that attaches to it, etc. Really scream about, then ask them if there is an alternative to MS *Vista or XP* or *they love this* "do you think a Mac suffers with this kind of crap, I've seen the commercials, you know"?