PDA

View Full Version : RE: Re: I am SOOO happy I use Ubuntu

Talaman72
July 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Hi there.

As stated in the thread that got closed:

"Firstly, the forums are NOT the place to complain about things like this. The correct place is #ubuntu-ops on irc.freenode.net"

I don't know, I was in that channel and every seemed to be asleep. Everyone here seems to be awake, if not somewhat alert.

"Secondly, public away scripts, unauthorised (talking) bots and public talking scripts are not welcome in the majority of #ubuntu. Can you imagine if there was two or three people with a !seen script on? It would start flooding the channel very quickly. I would advise you to use /whois or even better, "/msg seenserv <nick>""

Ok, I actually did get a chuckle out of this, especially the last statement. It would seem that the concept of a script/bot of the type for which the !seen script is designed is a bit illusive. Let me attempt to illuminate how this works. A user, such as myself, runs said script 24/7 (roughly). Said script collects information on when people come and go in various channels. When a user (other than myself (that means I do not use the !seen trigger) -- think there is a design flaw there, but I don't usually look for people so not an issue for me) uses the !seen trigger and supplies a nick, say bob for instance, the script will let the user know when and where bob was see last.

A /whois, although a useful tool for when some IS ACTUALLY ONLINE, does not provide the information as described in regards to the !seen script. As to /msg seenserv <nick>, it, as is, does not do a thing (I tested it). However, /seenserv seen <nick>, /seenserv seennick <nick>, /msg seenserv seen <nick>, and /msg seenserv seennick <nick> do seem to present the information.

The upside to that is; that if one were on freenode and only freenode one else would be able to use said service as long as it is available. However, I also hang out on several other irc chat servers simultaneously with being connect to freenode. These other servers do not have a seenserv -- must not have been the only one to have missed that difference. That shouldn't have be the only notable difference, however, on the other servers we don't seem to have a paranoia about spam...then again, it could just be the channels I hang out in.

As to the log...I find it...fascinating.

maniacmusician
July 18th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Hi there.

"Firstly, the forums are NOT the place to complain about things like this. The correct place is #ubuntu-ops on irc.freenode.net"

I don't know, I was in that channel and every seemed to be asleep. Everyone here seems to be awake, if not somewhat alert.

"Secondly, public away scripts, unauthorised (talking) bots and public talking scripts are not welcome in the majority of #ubuntu. Can you imagine if there was two or three people with a !seen script on? It would start flooding the channel very quickly. I would advise you to use /whois or even better, "/msg seenserv <nick>""

Ok, I actually did get a chuckle out of this, especially the last statement. It would seem that the concept of a script/bot of the type for which the !seen script is designed is a bit illusive. Let me attempt to illuminate how this works. A user, such as myself, runs said script 24/7 (roughly). Said script collects information on when people come and go in various channels. When a user (other than myself (that means I do not use the !seen trigger) -- think there is a design flaw there, but I don't usually look for people so not an issue for me) uses the !seen trigger and supplies a nick, say bob for instance, the script will let the user know when and where bob was see last.

A /whois, although a useful tool for when some IS ACTUALLY ONLINE, does not provide the information as described in regards to the !seen script. As to /msg seenserv <nick>, it, as is, does not do a thing (I tested it). However, /seenserv seen <nick>, /seenserv seennick <nick>, /msg seenserv seen <nick>, and /msg seenserv seennick <nick> do seem to present the information.

The upside to that is; that if one were on freenode and only freenode one else would be able to use said service as long as it is available. However, I also hang out on several other irc chat servers simultaneously with being connect to freenode. These other servers do not have a seenserv -- must not have been the only one to have missed that difference. That shouldn't have be the only notable difference, however, on the other servers we don't seem to have a paranoia about spam...then again, it could just be the channels I hang out in.

your thread was closed for a reason; this isn't the place to discuss it. As it is, all you're doing is annoying people with your ******* and moaning. You said your piece, you got a response, so move on. If you feel the urge to discuss it more, go to #ubuntu-ops and wait till everyone "wakes up".

Talaman72
July 18th, 2007, 10:04 AM
And you have said your piece ....

And I'm simply responding to the last post in the last thread which I was unable to do due to the fact it was closed.

Now I would have to say that if there was an issue with my post DON'T READ THEM....

End Of Line.

bonzodog
July 18th, 2007, 10:47 AM
The problem with a !seen script is that people *like* to openly abuse these scripts, especially if it is left so anyone in channel can use them. Having a kind of private !seen script is fine - but keep it to yourself, so that other users in channel are not aware of it's existence, or are able to execute it.

For this very reason, ubotu has had this ability removed, as people were just running the !seen command out of sheer boredom and effectively flooding/spamming the channel with the bot feedback.

Yes, it's immature, but the ops aren't always watching the channels, and it's easy for someone to get away with this when the channel goes quiet --ergo, it is easier to just remove the possibility of it happening.

One of the keys to running large amounts of users who barely know each other in an IRC channel is to limit their freedoms within the channel to what they actually need to do.
Personally, I would not tolerate long term lurkers who actually never log out of the channel -- I believe people should log out when not at the machine for an extended period of time, like going out or going to bed.

Tomosaur
July 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Hi there.

I can walk stark naked around my own home, so I should be able to do it in a nursery.

Do you see how flawed your argument is? Just because you can do it on other channels / servers, does not make it acceptable on the Ubuntu channel. The channel is not related to the forums, except by subject matter. The ops on the channel are not the admins / moderators on the forums (maybe there is a little cross-over, but it's not like being a moderator on the forums gives you authority in the IRC channel). At the end of the day, the IRC channel has its own rules - and if you break them, then you are removed. You may not agree with those rules, but they ARE the rules. You can either take it up with the people responsible for the IRC channel - whoever they may be - or just forget about going to the Ubuntu channel.

At the end of the day, the ops don't like scripts, for whatever reason. Thus, you do not use them. If you don't agree, PM one of the channel ops.

bapoumba
July 18th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Hmm.

It is not very welcomed to reopen a thread that had previously been locked, and answered.
Pricey has offered you to PM him about this. He is also an ubuntu-irc operator.
He lives in UK, please consider his timezone.

I have also pointed you at our UF CoC, did you get a chance to look at it? There is another quote that might be helpful:

Respect the forum staff. We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We will occasionally ask for input, but in some cases we will not, please respect our decisions. Also, we do edit for content, if you have an issue with our moderation, please open a request in the forum resolution center.

Sorry, but I'm closing the thread, again. Is this clear enough this time around?

Thanks everyone for all the answers provided :)