PDA

View Full Version : I like KDE applications, but also GNOMEs ease of use

Skeith
July 18th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Personally I think KDE has the best applications, they look good,are very easy to use, usually fast and are tightly integrated with the desktop itself. But KDE itself is painful to configure, while GNOME is a snap. I hope KDE 4 improve in this aspect, I never really used GNOME until I tried the Tribe 2 release. I was very impressed how everything came together neatly and easily. I didn't have to refer to a wiki once while setting up basic things.

Skeith
July 18th, 2007, 09:16 PM
On another note, I've really grown to love Konqueror. Simple and fast

tehkain
July 18th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I use apps from both sides. I did the computer version of building a perfect women using magazine clippings. For example I replaced nautilus with thunar, beagle with tracker, firefox with epiphany, open office with abiword, and a few KDE apps for bittorrent, python IDE, and Virtual machine controls.

This is what I love about the free desktop

Afoot
July 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Both are imperfect. GNOME hides too much stuff, and not of [any reason you'd think of], but because they don't think the users can handle it, so they throw everything in a widely confusing program called gconf-editor - how's that for usability.

KDE on the other hand doesn't "remove" features like GNOME does, but instead some UI design calls are bad, and some just stuff seem like mini versions of gconf-editor.

I personally like KDE more. Oh and XFCE.