PDA

View Full Version : Would you be interested in a Linux distribution downloader?

RussianVodka
July 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
One of the things that annoys me about Linux is that it's a pain to track down and download. Sure, getting to the website with the download mirrors is easy But then you pick one, and it turns out that it's down. So you pick another, and it's downloading it 10kb/s. So you pick a third, and Firefox tells you that site doesn't even exist. And so on and so forth.

I want to write a program which allows you to browse distros and download them with a click of a button. But I want to know if anyone would be interested in using such a thing before I start working on it.

What the program would do:

- Have a list of all the major Linux distributions which can be sorted by various criteria, searched, etc. For my convenience the ranking and date of release information can probably be gotten from Distro Watch, and updated every time the program starts. If they don't mind.

- When a distribution is clicked, it would bring up a window (either externally or as an area inside the main window) with all the information about the distro. It would give a brief description, and have links to forums and what not. This could also probably be obtained using DistroWatch.

- When the download button is pressed, it would automatically select the best mirror for you and start downloading to a preset directory (or one of the users choice, if they care to change it). The status of the distribution would also change, indicating that you've downloaded it, or in the process of downloading it. Distros currently being downloaded can be viewed in a separate "Downloads" tab, or window.

- After the file has been downloaded, it can be burdened to a CD. Since I don't have the slightest clue of how to make it burn CDs, I'll just have that button bring up K3B, or Gnome Baker, or something.

---------------------------------------------------

The only thing that may give me serious problems is making it download large files, as prior to this I've never downloaded anything bigger than a website. But I don't think it'll be too hard to learn how to do it.

Also, it's gona be written in Java with the GUI done with Swing (probably in Net Beans) to provide cross-system compatibility.

So what do you think, is it worth the time and effort?

tgm4883
July 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Doesn't really sound needed. Most people on linux forums have found a distro they like. Those who dont like it usually find a different version by recommendation or swich back to windows completely. I suppose it may help a few users.

Now if you also implemented a little Q&A that helped decide which version was best for you, then it may be worth while. Something along the lines of this would work. http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/ But then, it would still need to be updated, and it would still have to compete with this. (Not to mention, this I only need to know what website to go to, I don't have to download the program.

Motoxrdude
July 17th, 2007, 10:07 PM
There is a good system already set up for downloading distros. Torrents. As long as you forward the right port then you can download it at decent speeds.