PDA

View Full Version : At what point is someone no longer a beginner?

Ithyn
July 17th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I've used Ubuntu for a while and I've restricted myself from the GUI as much as possible to reduce my dependence on it (I still had to switch to tty7 to register for this forum), and I know the file and directory commands, how to move between folders in the terminal, and using the wildcards to manipulate files efficiently. I also know about manipulating standard input/output with > >> and < and using pipes and filters. I can install programs from tarballs, and I use Nano to code with Python (which I'm still learning).

At this point I'm not really sure where to go next to advance my knowledge of Linux.

Rocket2DMn
July 17th, 2007, 08:47 PM
First off, there is nothing wrong with the GUI, but learning the CLI is definitely a big deal. Using X is great, you just gotta know how to get by for periods of time without it (like when it fails). GUIs were made to make life easier and more intuitive.
As far as your next step, it's really up to you. Getting truly comfortable and knowledgeable just takes time. Keeping an eye on these forums can help you to recognize problems that tend to pop up and you can check the solutions people come up with - some are generic, others are rather creative. Observing the problem solving process can help you to understand the basics of the system better and therefore be able to manipulate them.

Experiment with new software, try some different hardware if you can. Make sure you have backups, then don't be afraid to experiment. You will learn more than you recognize just be fiddling around with new and different things.

aysiu
July 17th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Help new users. That's how you advance your knowledge of Linux.

Helping yourself, there's only so many problems you can fix (and usually pretty quickly).

Once you start seeing other people's weird situations and try to fix those, you end up learning a lot more than you could ever learning just toying around on your own computer.

kittyhawk63
July 17th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Search the How Tos.
Search the Internet: type "Learining Ubuntu" or "Learning (version)"
There's a lot on the Internet to help you increase your knowledge.
kh

LaRoza
July 17th, 2007, 08:50 PM
You are no longer a beginner when you can do everything you want to do.

If you want to learn more, I would suggest bash scripting, or learning a scripting language. I see you learning Python, so you'll be ahead there. (Good choice of language, although you might want to look into Perl, so when the Perl people attack you, you won't be lost)

kittyhawk63
July 17th, 2007, 08:52 PM

Kowalski_GT-R
July 17th, 2007, 08:52 PM
This is an excellent thread for the Cafè!

please move it.

All I can tell is that I'm desperately trying to get to help :biggrin:

this is how much I like Ubuntu...

ciao

Rocket2DMn
July 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM

This is actually rather true. That makes 99% of noobs still! I'm not afraid to admit it.

punx45
July 17th, 2007, 08:54 PM
...and I use Nano to code with Python (which I'm still learning).

learn vi, then a beginner no more will you be.

:guitar:

aysiu
July 17th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Aysiu, I sure would like to know your bean count. I wonder if I can still count that high at my age. lol
kh Bean counts don't really matter that much. They're just another set of useless statistics.

This is an excellent thread for the Cafè!

please move it. Good call. This is definitely going more the discussion route and less the technical support route.

deadlikeoscar
July 17th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Compile a kernel or two or maybe help a project out since you are learning Python. If you have an interest in torrent clients, I know that Deluge uses Python. I'm just using Deluge as an example--you can substitute any project that uses Python. Even if you don't want to help out or don't know how, try looking at their source code to help you learn. I would get comfortable with the GUI to help you learn more about Linux. Learning the CLI first is definitely a plus but make sure you aren't missing out on some valuable GUI skills. Personally, I am interested in Network Security but programming is on my list to learn as well. Learning Gimp can be fun and rewarding. Really, it all comes down to what interests you. Find out what that is and try to specialize in that area.

reset3x
July 17th, 2007, 08:58 PM
When I become a Linus Torvalds I will no longer be a beginner..... :biggrin:

LaRoza
July 17th, 2007, 09:00 PM
When I become a Linus Torvalds I will no longer be a beginner..... :biggrin:

You have to have the basic requirements first, are you Finnish? Are you not happy with Minix?

sad_iq
July 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Aysiu, I sure would like to know your bean count.
Total Posts: 25,405 (32.40 posts per day)

He must be the right hand of someone important to get that count(or he bought them off Ebay) :)
Like others have posted...try to involve in a project(or more)...Write HowTo's...Help the comunity...
You won't be a beginner when you get a nice Gentoo machine up and running from stage 1 without reading a single Howto or line of info from the internet :popcorn:

aysiu
July 17th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Total Posts: 25,405 (32.40 posts per day)

He must be the right hand of someone important to get that count(or he bought them off Ebay) :) There's another theory going around that I'm not a human at all (in which case, Ubuntu wouldn't be for me) but actually a bot.

LaRoza
July 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM
There's another theory going around that I'm not a human at all (in which case, Ubuntu wouldn't be for me) but actually a bot.

You are NOT a bot, I know, because I am and you are never at the meetings.

Malibu Illusion
July 17th, 2007, 09:38 PM
sudo aptitude install lynx
lynx http://ubuntuforums.org

There you never need to leave the CLI again.

kittyhawk63
July 17th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Edit: last two messages were accidental. Sorry.

koenn
July 17th, 2007, 09:48 PM
There's another theory going around that I'm not a human at all (in which case, Ubuntu wouldn't be for me) but actually a bot.
It's been said before : Linux is not for everyone. But I think bots would qualify - at least those that aren't windows power users.

koenn
July 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Once you start seeing other people's weird situations and try to fix those, you end up learning a lot more than you could ever learning just toying around on your own computer.
True.
On your own machine, you know what's going on, what you've changed and what's been left to the distro's defaults. With other peoples problems, you don't have that advantage, so you'll have to learn how to diagnose, how to test your assumptions, etc. That, and youl'll come across situations you never thought possible.

Then, when you're able to design or imagine a sollution even if you're not quite sure how to implement it (but you know how to find out), then i'd say you're not so much of a beginner anymore.

Atomic Dog
July 17th, 2007, 10:10 PM
You know you are no longer a beginner when you say to your wife: "sudo make me dinner."

Ithyn
July 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I didn't expect to have so many responses in such a short time. I appreciate the advice.

First off, there is nothing wrong with the GUI, but learning the CLI is definitely a big deal. Using X is great, you just gotta know how to get by for periods of time without it (like when it fails). GUIs were made to make life easier and more intuitive.

I figured it would be best to avoid using the GUI as much as possible in order to adjust to using the command line. I still switch back to tty7 now and then if I want to watch stuff on YouTube. Isn't the whole point of Ubuntu to provide a safety net for ex-Windows users to transition to Linux and be able to see something that works a little like Windows if something goes wrong and they need a familiar face to reorient themselves with? That was the reason a friend of mine gave me when he suggested I try Ubuntu.

If you want to learn more, I would suggest bash scripting, or learning a scripting language. I see you learning Python, so you'll be ahead there. (Good choice of language, although you might want to look into Perl, so when the Perl people attack you, you won't be lost)

The same friend who pointed me to Ubuntu also suggested I learn Python, since I had a pretty hard time in the past trying to learn C++ in college with a textbook that read more like a reference guide and a professor who usually skipped out of the labs early. I was planning to learn Perl after Python since a few people I knew disagreed on whether I should learn Python before Perl or vice versa (they agreed that I shouldn't have started off with C++). My progress in Python kind of came to a halt when I got Lyme Disease right around the time I started the chapter on for loops, strings, and tuples, but I'm going to continue pretty soon.

learn vi, then a beginner no more will you be.

Hmm... I thought I read a while back that Nano was just as good... I tried vi once but I don't remember why I didn't stick with it.

There you never need to leave the CLI again.

The only reason I left the command line for this forum was because the verification image needed to register doesn't show up very well in Links, which is what I've been using to browse the Internet.

reset3x
July 17th, 2007, 11:20 PM
You have to have the basic requirements first, are you Finnish? Are you not happy with Minix?

I'm not of Finnish decent.... I do like to play with Minix 3 :)

RAV TUX
July 18th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I've used Ubuntu for a while and I've restricted myself from the GUI as much as possible to reduce my dependence on it (I still had to switch to tty7 to register for this forum), and I know the file and directory commands, how to move between folders in the terminal, and using the wildcards to manipulate files efficiently. I also know about manipulating standard input/output with > >> and < and using pipes and filters. I can install programs from tarballs, and I use Nano to code with Python (which I'm still learning).

At this point I'm not really sure where to go next to advance my knowledge of Linux.I still feel like a beginner. ;)

Do you know of a nice How to install programs from tarballs?

Does aysiu have one on Psychocats?

Ithyn
July 18th, 2007, 04:12 AM
I don't know of any HowTos on installing from tarballs; it's something I was stumped on for quite a while until today when I read through tuxfiles.org.

aysiu
July 18th, 2007, 04:22 AM
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware#source
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/#source

bread eyes
July 18th, 2007, 05:08 AM

So if you want to not be a beginner or laser vision you can't become a a non-beginner?

RAV TUX
July 18th, 2007, 05:26 AM
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware#source
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/#source

Thanks aysiu, this will be helpful to point users to. What about for non-Ubuntu/Debian based OS's?

aysiu
July 18th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Thanks aysiu, this will be helpful to point users to. What about for non-Ubuntu/Debian based OS's?
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/softinstall.html

mdsmedia
July 18th, 2007, 05:41 AM
I bet you posted that from memory too.