PDA

View Full Version : Over the hedge (the movie)

flat4
July 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
So i was watching how the made the movie and the different components to what it takes to make this kind of animated film. They would show takes of the animators working at their stations but everytime I look at them they look different. It was not a Mac, not a windows machine, and finally a good clear shot it showed the gnome desktop.

SO my next question is what OS are they using. :)

init1
July 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM
So i was watching how the made the movie and the different components to what it takes to make this kind of animated film. They would show takes of the animators working at their stations but everytime I look at them they look different. It was not a Mac, not a windows machine, and finally a good clear shot it showed the gnome desktop.

SO my next question is what OS are they using. :)

What I want to know is what software they used. Blender?

notwen
July 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I'm clueless as far as the OS/software they were using, but THAT MOVIE WAS HILARIOUS. Good stuff. =]

v8YKxgHe
July 17th, 2007, 02:16 PM
What I want to know is what software they used. Blender?

No they wouldn't be using Blender for that sort of work (not saying that Blender is not good, it is very good) - they would be using Maya or XSI as they both have a native Linux version. If they are not using Maya or XSI then it's probably an in house tool.

BigSilly
July 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they used a Linux to make "Over the Hedge", though I couldn't say which. Didn't it win some sort of award recently from a magazine for it's implementation of Linux?

flat4
July 17th, 2007, 03:40 PM
i found this quote from hp siite

"In fact, more than 15 million rendering hours went into the film — delivered by a Linux cluster of several thousand servers, including HP ProLiant servers featuring AMD Dual-Core Opteron processors. The cluster is split across DreamWorks sites in Redwood City and Glendale."

hanzomon4
July 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I thought IRIX was used a lot in animation?