PDA

View Full Version : BIG BIG boo boo

retroP
July 17th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Ok well I was trying to edit a read only text document and I tried to make my user account the exact same as root, so I unchecked everything thinking it'd be the same as root since thats what it seemed root was like.... and well now I can't edit anything, access anything nothing, I've tried to fix this problem on my own but to no avail. I tried using sudo commands but it says this user has no sudo privleges and this incident will be reported.....

Can anyone please help me out? Is there a type of system restore or some loop hole through all this.... I tried logging in as root but in reading some old posts learned you can't for security reasons... so yeah please some one help me out,I am sooo mad at myself...

sloggerkhan
July 17th, 2007, 01:35 AM
you have to log in as root from a recovery console and change your user permissions.

If you wanted to make your user acount have root level access (probably a bad idea) or at least more access, you probably should have checked boxes, not unchecked them.

You have the option when starting to go to a recovery console.

retroP
July 17th, 2007, 01:37 AM
oh ok, so when it says "press esc"at the bottom when booting up I should press esc then it should be self explainitory from there? or do I access this recovery console some other way?

sloggerkhan
July 17th, 2007, 02:10 AM
You should press escape or whatever key it says, there should be a recovery console option which logs you in as root on a command line. If you want to do stuff via gui, type
startx
I don't know specifically what you need to change to fix your user, but possible you could do it by starting x and working through the users & groups control panel.

Also, since you have a general problem, the community cafe might not be the best place to post.

retroP
July 17th, 2007, 02:19 AM
You should press escape or whatever key it says, there should be a recovery console option which logs you in as root on a command line. If you want to do stuff via gui, type
startx
I don't know specifically what you need to change to fix your user, but possible you could do it by starting x and working through the users & groups control panel.

Also, since you have a general problem, the community cafe might not be the best place to post.

ok thanks alot I'll try it all out