PDA

View Full Version : .htm or .html - Which do you use?

user1397
July 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Simple poll, which one do you use as the extension for your websites, and why?

I use .html, because that's how I first saw it when I was teaching myself, but I was thinking about switching to .htm (less work :))

aks44
July 16th, 2007, 06:29 PM
.cgi :mrgreen:

ThinkBuntu
July 16th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Of course .htm. And .jpg, etc...Save a keystroke, save a byte.

Misha22
July 16th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Of course .htm. And .jpg, etc...Save a keystroke, save a byte.

+1 same here

stepan2
July 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM
html if i ever use it but my site is msotly php

nrs
July 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Aren't the origins of .htm simply a Microsoft exercise in "doing whatever we want"? That's the story I heard at least.

I doubt you'll find many people that have a good reason why they prefer one of the other (one that actually matters this in age :P). I have an irrational hatred of .cpp (everyone knows .cc is only proper extension)

ThinkBuntu
July 16th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Aren't the origins of .htm simply a Microsoft exercise in "doing whatever we want"? That's the story I heard at least.

I doubt you'll find many people that have a good reason why they prefer one of the other (one that actually matters this in age :P). I have an irrational hatred of .cpp (everyone knows .cc is only proper extension)
.htm makes more sense semantically. foo.js means "foo written in javascript", with no need for .jsl, which would mean "foo written in javascript language." Likewise, "hypertext markup" is sufficiently descriptive. To not contradict myself, I also need to support .xm and .xs for .xml and .xsl, respectively...ah well, comes with the territory.

Polygon
July 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM
i think htm was used becuase DOS had 8.3 character naming limitation, so a name could only be 8 characters + 3 for the extention or something.... so html had to be shortened to htm

user1397
July 17th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Wow, a lot of people said they used .html instead of .htm (22 vs 3) so I guess it really is more popular. But as others have said, .htm is just simpler, and makes more contextual sense. What gives?

Spaceman3750
July 17th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I use .htm... Shorter.

~LoKe
July 17th, 2007, 03:56 AM
As far as I can remember, htm was only used because DOS systems couldn't handle extensions over 3 characters or something similar. HTML is correct, but htm is acceptable. I just use PHP and make my life easier.

Spaceman3750
July 17th, 2007, 04:19 AM
I just use PHP and make my life easier.

Mine seems to get harder... The PHP interpreter is never correct about where the error is.

user1397
August 24th, 2007, 09:43 PM
hmm...need more results!

Darkhack
August 25th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I use .html because...

1. That is the W3C standard - http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/intro.html
3. That is what I first saw
3. That is what most users are familiar with and what everyone else uses.

user1397
August 25th, 2007, 03:25 AM
I use .html because...

1. That is the W3C standard - http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/intro.html
3. That is what I first saw
3. That is what most users are familiar with and what everyone else uses.u did 3 two times :)
but yea i agree with u, except for the part that "everyone uses"

I've seen a lot of websites that end in .htm, and I think it might be closely concerned with the fact that microsoft likes htm better than html. for example, microsoft frontpage defaults to htm

picpak
August 25th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I used to use .htm simply because it was shorter, but now I don't see the point. It's just one less "l"!

Nowadays I use mostly PHP...and even then I use a .htaccess that removes the .php extension from the URL. :)

Spr0k3t
August 25th, 2007, 05:13 AM
The .htm is a creation of MS to assist those with problems accessing the files in dos. The official standard however is html. When building stanard templates for a larger site, I always utilize html as the extension. Even during the days of dos, I still used html.

southernman
August 25th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Without the language what good is the markup? ;)

user1397
August 26th, 2007, 06:05 AM
bump

some_random_noob
August 26th, 2007, 06:13 AM
The .htm is a creation of MS to assist those with problems accessing the files in dos. The official standard however is html. When building stanard templates for a larger site, I always utilize html as the extension. Even during the days of dos, I still used html.
Exactly. I was told on the IRC recently that you're meant to use ".HTML" - my Apache2 server had a file called "index.htm" and it wasn't working. The guy on the IRC told me to call it "index.html" and then my site started working. He told me that using ".htm" is a Microsoft habit.

We're winning in the polls by the looks of it.

".html" it is!

curuxz
August 26th, 2007, 09:20 AM
should always be .html

htm was another Microsoft annoyance.

loell
August 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM
i've experienced DOS, and got used to the three letter extension, hence .htm

TeaSwigger
August 26th, 2007, 09:31 AM
W3C sez it's .html... who am I to argue? ;) .html it is!

samjh
August 26th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I use *.html because I like to use proper names for things, rather than using short names just for the heck of it. HTML is just that: HTML, not HTM. :p

popch
August 26th, 2007, 10:52 AM
To the internet user it does not matter at all.

To the person who has to build and maintain the site is matters a bit because the environment (OS, web engine) associates some 'extensions' with particular programs or actions.

Hence, in most OSs you use .html, in Windows .htm.

user1397
August 26th, 2007, 09:09 PM
To the internet user it does not matter at all.

To the person who has to build and maintain the site is matters a bit because the environment (OS, web engine) associates some 'extensions' with particular programs or actions.

Hence, in most OSs you use .html, in Windows .htm.I use .html in Windows, and I haven't had any problems with any sites...other than that I agree with you on every other point.

use a name
August 26th, 2007, 09:15 PM
.html of course. That's what it is and I've proudly left the DOS age 8.3 restriction behind me.

Dr Small
August 26th, 2007, 09:17 PM
.html

.htm reminds me of Microsoft Word, so I quit using it long ago.
But, I normally use .php :p

Dr Small

Rhapsody
August 27th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I used to use .html (and still do for one page on my old site) but use .php these days.

LaRoza
August 27th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I almost always use php, but I use htm instead of html, if I have a static page.

user1397
August 28th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I wish I knew php...:(

eukhost.com
August 29th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I use .php, but if I had to choose between .htm and .html, I would go with .html as .htm feels somewhat 'incomplete'.

Jongleur
August 29th, 2007, 06:15 PM
html every time.

htm = HyperText markup what?

Another MS deviation.

LaRoza
August 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I wish I knew php...:(

See my wiki, get the tutorial, and the documentation, and get started.

popch
August 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM
html every time.

htm = HyperText markup what?

Another MS deviation.

That's not so nonsensical as you may think. Hyper Text Markup Language is the language (surprise) to write Hyper Text Markup with.

An even more logical extension would be .ht for Hyper Text. After all, the file does not contain (just) markup and does not contain a language at all.

But then, logic or reason does not have anything to do with it at all.