PDA

View Full Version : Songbird Media Player

warcriminal
July 16th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Songbird is a really nice media player with all sorts of plugins.

There is an article that shows you how to install it at;

http://www.goitexpert.com/entry.cfm?entry=Make-Ubuntu-Play-Music-Like-A-Songbird

Or you can visit their homepage at;

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

aysiu
July 16th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Actually, Psychocats is my homepage.

Their homepage is http://www.songbirdnest.com/

ThinkBuntu
July 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Songbird is improving VERY quickly, and it's only a matter of time before it's just as high-quality as Thuderbird and Sunbird.

Mozilla Suite > Microsoft Suite

lamalex
July 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
does it support MTP transfers yet?

edit: nope

FuturePilot
July 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM
It is a nice media player. But sometimes it gives me trouble when searching through songs. The slider will keep moving as if it's playing, but no sound. Then if I slide the slider somewhere the sound comes back.

SunnyRabbiera
July 16th, 2007, 07:38 PM
songbird is nice though I dont like its colors and most of the themes for it are too old.

DC@DR
July 16th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Hey, it's media player, not movie player, damn...I wish to have something that looks better than Mplayer, which looks ridiculously out of date :-s

rolando2424
July 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I've give it a try, but didn't like it, guess I'm too accustomed to ncmpc :D

(I might give another try soon, I'm not the type of person who gives up on the first error)

eiknarf05
July 29th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I've been looking for a decent Media Player that fits my needs (ex itunes user). Though I did not do the *cough* legal *cough* ways of downloading, having your media players organize your files by Artist really sucks since it doesn't group featured artists (ex: "Gorillaz" and "Gorillaz Feat. MF Doom" are not grouped together) so.. I came across Songbird which so far works similar to itunes ( BY FILE!) Have gotten my hands too dirty but so far so good.

I perfer this player for itunes users. (The web browser is awsome btw)

bobbocanfly
July 29th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I love Songbird. It is very very cool though very resource heavy so 1gb of RAM and a good CPU is a requirement.

At the guy above, Songbird can play Movies. I have done it myself.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
July 30th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I love Songbird. It is very very cool though very resource heavy so 1gb of RAM and a good CPU is a requirement.

At the guy above, Songbird can play Movies. I have done it myself.

Now that is an interesting point - Maybe you can post a quick tutorial on how to do this?

lolwhites
July 31st, 2007, 07:14 PM
I followed the instructions that the original poster linked to. I now have the Songbird icon in th eright menu, but when I click on it I get the message

Failed to execute child process "Songbird" (No such file or directory)

bobbocanfly
July 31st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Now that is an interesting point - Maybe you can post a quick tutorial on how to do this?

Tell your songbird to scan for media in your movies folder, or if you dont have a movies folder, wherever you keep them. Basically once they are in, double click them :D Simple. Its pretty basic but better than nothing (no subtitles, so its a bit of a no go if you are into German movies like me and cant actually speak German).

Spike-X
July 31st, 2007, 11:20 PM
It's gonna be awesome when it's finished. Right now it's way too resource-heavy and crash-prone for daily use, on my system anyway.