PDA

View Full Version : Loptops w/ beryl/compiz few questions

aeo24
July 16th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Ok well i have searched these forums for awhile and found nothing that really answers my question to the point of accuracy i would like. I am looking to buy a fairly cheap laptop to use linux on it for classes at school this upcoming year. I would really love to be able to run beryl/compiz on this laptop.

I have heard from a friend who i deem very knowledgeable when it comes to linux that avoiding ati express graphics is a wise thing to do. Now a store just down the road from me sells Off-lease Thinkpads. I can snag a p4 2ghz, 512 mb ram, some Ati video card for like 6-700 CDN dollars. I have read thinkpads are great for linux but am unaware if 512 mb ram will be enough for desktop effects and if the ati cards would cause me a big hassel.

Third thing is if you know any nvidia(for their great support) based laptops that are cheap or just good alternatives please list them. Most cheap laptops i can find(dell etc) are using AMD & ati technology.

Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated,

Richard

Edit: thinkpad link
http://www.computersplus.ca/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/248_3/products_id/4910

reacocard
July 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM
A cheap laptop using Intel integrated graphics may be your best bet. I run Compiz with no problems on a laptop using Intel 915GM graphics. As for RAM, that shouldn't really be an issue, I've heard of people running Compiz on computers with 256MB RAM, 512MB should be more than enough.

Biochem
July 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I have a Dell Latitude D520 (look in their small business section and invent a compagny to order). They are cheap and you can customize it a bit. They have an intel Chipset and it work perfectly with Compiz/Beryl/Fusion. I think 512mb of Ram should be enough. And of course everything run well with Ubuntu.

aeo24
July 16th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, that dell comes with 1 gig of ram, a little bit slower of a processor but I'm sure that wont be a huge issue. I'm really looking in to it. Keep the suggestions coming. Greatly appreciated.

Edit: after a few looks around this forum it seems the thinkpad t30 is quite capable of running beryl. For $699 CDN i might buy it. But im still unsure if for $699 i can get a better laptop that is new.

Rich :D

prizrak
July 16th, 2007, 11:20 PM
A cheap laptop using Intel integrated graphics may be your best bet. I run Compiz with no problems on a laptop using Intel 915GM graphics. As for RAM, that shouldn't really be an issue, I've heard of people running Compiz on computers with 256MB RAM, 512MB should be more than enough.

Seconded, for cheap Compiz-fusion capable laptops Intel GPU is the best choice. Battery life is great and they run the effects just fine. Stay away from ATI as far as possible.

Hex_Mandos
July 17th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I'm typing this from my laptop, running Beryl with Intel graphics. Vote with your wallet, support Intel's open-source drivers (at least when it comes to video).

aeo24
July 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Ya i found one of the new dells $649 CDN intel integrated graphics and such. It even has the option for the intel wireless card which will save me some time later on not fighting with broadcom. Anyways thanks for the great help guys. If i buy one il make sure to post what it is and how its running ;)

Thanks,
Rich

aeo24
July 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM
With a little extra cash to use i have decided on the inspiron 1420.

PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5450 (2MB cache/1.66GHz/667Mhz FSB) edit
LCD DISPLAY: 14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ TrueLife LCD Display edit
MEMORY: 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 Dimm edit
HARD DRIVE: 80G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
GRAPHICS CARD: Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 edit
OPTICAL DRIVE: 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability edit
WIRELESS CARD: IntelJ3945 802.11a/g Mini-card edit
HARDWARE SERVICES: 1 Year Return to Depot Service and Technical Support edit
BATTERY OPTIONS: 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
SOUND OPTIONS: Integrated High Definition Audio edit

Integrated NIC and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Should be very easy to set up with ubuntu thanks to the intel parts, and bery/compiz should have no problem running on a 1gb ram Core2Duo system.

Edit: GRAPHICS CARD: Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 Can't find any information on this. Its not listed on wikipedia. I have a small feeling they mean the x3100. Anyone agree/can confirm my suspicions?
Edit2: i was correct, its a typo.