PDA

View Full Version : kubuntu or ubuntu witch is the fastest desktop...

kingof1981
July 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM
i newly have the kubuntu desktop installed, and it seems to that the kubuntu desktop is reacting faster then the ubuntu desktop.... maybe it's just me... all seems to be working faster... with almost no failure... i'm really thinking about to switch over to kubuntu...

or it's maybe just me??????

starcraft.man
July 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM
i newly have the kubuntu desktop installed, and it seems to that the kubuntu desktop is reacting faster then the ubuntu desktop.... maybe it's just me... all seems to be working faster... with almost no failure... i'm really thinking about to switch over to kubuntu...

I've tried both... far as I know there isn't a difference. It's probably just your imagination, like how people think when you actively watch something (like a kettle boiling) it takes longer than when you don't.

prizrak
July 16th, 2007, 11:21 PM
XFCE beats them all!!!! From my experience Gnome is quicker but at the same time if you do prefer KDE there is nothing wrong with using it ;)

strabes
July 17th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I switched to KDE a long time ago and will never look back. It's so much more powerful and customizeable. The ability to easily make different programs appear at a specific location on a specific desktop with a specific size is so useful.

FuturePilot
July 17th, 2007, 02:01 AM
There's not that much of a difference. I've tried them both. The thing about KDE being bloated and slow is a myth.

gorilla
July 17th, 2007, 03:27 AM
KDE feels faster for me too, although Gnome might actually be a tad bit more lightweight.

KDE apps have a hang for longer loading times.. more libs to link I guess.

OTOH I think that the Qt toolkit is just snappier than Gtk. Also KDE's windowmanager kwin is smoother moving windows than any other window manager I tested. I suspect that kwin actually uses 2D acceleration of modern gfx cards?

aysiu
July 17th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Whichever you think is faster is faster.

Since there's no consensus on which is faster... well, you tell me if it's just you or not.

josephellengar
October 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I've found gnome to be much faster. KDE really does have a lot of bloatware. Every time i install it i have to spend several hours removing all of the BS that comes with it. And KDE 4.x is just awful

cardinals_fan
October 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Why can't we let the dead rest in peace?

AlanR8
October 17th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Why can't we let the dead rest in peace?

What does that mean? Please state your case.

I'm a Kubuntu user and have recently installed 4.1.* alongside 3.5.*. Just realised I've not booted into 3.5.* for about two weeks now.

4.1.* is still not as configurable as 3.5.* but its nice, and fast, and good looking and stable and works!

cardinals_fan
October 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
What does that mean? Please state your case.

This thread has been dead for over a year. Necromancing, resurrection, grave digging, etc. are all terms for reviving a long-dead thread. This practice is discouraged on most busy forums.

xebian
October 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM

Go for it.:guitar:

K.Mandla
October 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Moved to Recurring Discussions.