PDA

View Full Version : What KDE Distro can you suggest to me?

wersdaluv
July 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I am a relatively new Linux user. I just started using Linux since December 2006. I am a KDE lover, but synce-kde does not work with Kubuntu Feisty and it annoys me so damn much. I tried OpenSuSE, but it has many compatibility issues with my laptop. I tried PCLinuxOS, but Pocket PC's cannot be synced with it too. I tried MEPIS, but I did not manage to make synce-kde work with it as well.

What KDE distro can you suggest for me to use? Will Debian be to hard to use for me?

fuscia
July 16th, 2007, 03:01 PM
have you tried sabayon, yet?

Raffo
July 16th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Debian is not hard to use, but I don't like it.... I suggest arch linux + kdemod...

wersdaluv
July 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I have not tried it yet. Is that newb-friendly? 'Cause you know, its based on Gentoo... So I'm intimidated. hehe.

I think, I would settle with Debian-based distros. A good reason is the abundance of debs in the internet.

Extreme Coder
July 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I am a relatively new Linux user. I just started using Linux since December 2006. I am a KDE lover, but synce-kde does not work with Kubuntu Feisty and it annoys me so damn much. I tried OpenSuSE, but it has many compatibility issues with my laptop. I tried PCLinuxOS, but Pocket PC's cannot be synced with it too. I tried MEPIS, but I did not manage to make synce-kde work with it as well.

What KDE distro can you suggest for me to use? Will Debian be to hard to use for me?
Try Mandriva, or PCLinuxOS.

ThinkBuntu
July 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Pardus is a really great KDE distro. Highly recommended. Top-notch hardware recognition, too.

stepan2
July 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM
wait a lil while until i release kix OS. that will be msot friendly :D

wersdaluv
July 16th, 2007, 04:41 PM
wait a lil while until i release kix OS. that will be msot friendly :D

It's just that, since it would be based on Ubuntu, most probably, the synce-kde bug will still be there. :(

ThinkBuntu
July 16th, 2007, 04:42 PM
It's just that, since it would be based on Ubuntu, most probably, the synce-kde bug will still be there. :(
Also, don't count out Zenwalk with KDE. Someone in the project does in fact maintain the necessary packages for KDE, although most people think Xfce when they think Zenwalk. It should be easier than using, say, Slackware with KDE.

stepan2
July 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM
i am not sure what the synce-kde bug is but if it only is in the kubuntu kde , not kdebase or anyhting then there will not be problems. If there still is and it is a very important bug i will recompile kde

notwen
July 16th, 2007, 05:12 PM
+1 sidux (http://sidux.com/)

igknighted
July 16th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Knoppix is also a really nice KDE distro. I'll also throw Fedora in the mix. Use the Fedora 7 KDE liveCD, it's easier than trying to trick the DVD installer into installing KDE instead of Gnome. Berry Linux is also a very good Fedora based KDE distro.

I'll also second pardus. I tried it out, it isn't for me, but its an awesome distro none the less.

peter_k
July 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
The aforementioned Sabayon is nice, and they have a new version coming out in a few days (3.4 I think). I tried the 3.3 LiveCD a couple of days ago, and it was pretty cool - came with Beryl/Emerald already enabled. A little slow off the CD, but that's to be expected.

I'll put a plug in for Kanotix (Knoppix deriv.) - probably my favorite among the KDE family. It seems pretty powerful.

I second what wersdaluv said regarding .debs. In addition to the sheer number of packages, I like the .deb system more so than RPM's because there seems to be less of an issue with dependencies - I used RPM's in my prior distro (Mandriva), and it seemed like there was a higher probability of running into dependency issues - at least with 'driva - I'm not sure if that would hold for Fedora, SuSE, or any of the other RPM-based distros; so I would stick with debian-based distros, but that's just me.

BTW, have you looked at Mint? It comes in a KDE version as well as the standard Gnome one. It is based off of Ubuntu, but with some proprietary (non-OSS) stuff added - it "feels" a lot like Ubuntu, so if you liked that metaphor, than it should work for you. It might even be possible that sync-KDE works with it, but I'm not sure. I guess it depends what the Mint (or any of the other ubuntu-based distro folks) base their code off of.

miggols99
July 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Arch Linux and KDEmod. Arch is a very good distro to learn linux with:

http://archlinux.org

and KDEmod:

http://kdemod.ath.cx

I have found Arch to be very easy to learn. The wikis are great for beginners and pacman (the package manager, like apt) is really easy to learn too, is really fast and solves dependencies too.

davtaine
July 20th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Read/click my signature...

HermanAB
July 20th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Mandriva is arguably the best KDE distribution. I've been using it since about 2002. I use many different versions of Linux, but I like Mandriva best for daily work, while Ubuntu is the best Gnome distribution.