PDA

View Full Version : Problem Installing

tcoffeep
July 16th, 2007, 06:16 AM
hey all.

I've been interested in trying out Gentoo for awhile, but I can't seem to get the installer running. Some sort of error pops up. Don't know which one specifically, since it's been awhile, but I was just wondering :

Is there a bug in the installer right now? If not, has anyone else had this problem. It always stops at 52%

Foxmike
July 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Welcome to the Gentoo experience!:)

I have seen some issues concerning the Live CD install here (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-14.html?sid=1756cb11a7bff585cbddc98d3bbeffa6), and if you are going to install Gentoo, I would check the forums out a bit!:)

Other thing, if you want to get out most of your Gentoo experience, you should take a look at the Stage 3 install. It is very well explained via the Gentoo Handbook (a must read, really!) and this is the way that will learn you the most about Gentoo's way to go. If you already have ubuntu, make a look at the alternate install methods, as you can easily do a Gentoo install while running Ubuntu (so you don't loose your desktop for the so-long compiling process!:)

Good luck!:)

tcoffeep
July 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I'll look through it. Is it available on the Gentoo website?

Foxmike
July 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Yes. Make a look to the Gentoo Handbook, everything is in there... good luck!

tcoffeep
July 21st, 2007, 10:15 AM
I tried installing gentoo step-by-step, but, I'm guessing that it's more complicated to install than other distros. Is there, perhaps, a graphical installation of Gentoo, because I'm still not exactly 'command'-savvy

zaratustra
July 23rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
I tried installing gentoo step-by-step, but, I'm guessing that it's more complicated to install than other distros. Is there, perhaps, a graphical installation of Gentoo, because I'm still not exactly 'command'-savvy
Oh, yes there is... but it is buggy and unstable. You can try it, it may work.

tcoffeep
July 23rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Are you talking about the LiveCD? I've tried it, and it always crashes at 52% loading. :(

Foxmike
July 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
Actually, I think that Gentoo install itself is part of the overall Gentoo experience. I makes you learn about what you have to know. If you already have Ubuntu installed, you should read the Alternative Installation Guide (on the Gentoo website) what will teach you how to mount your Gentoo partition and chroot into it for the install. It makes things pretty easy and you can use your Ubuntu graphical environment to browse the web and/or edit configuration files.

If you want to get out the maximum from Gentoo, you should definitively read those guides in order to make the good choices and proper set-up. That is what makes Gentoo so much different than another distro. The possibility to optimise it to your needs. And you'll see that when you have to use command-line, it is very well explained!:)

Cheers!

angryfirelord
July 23rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
If you follow the installation guide step-by-step, there's nothing to it. Just takes....hours. :)

M_the_C
July 23rd, 2007, 07:19 PM
I would also like to advise the command line install. Before I tried it I only had a basic grasp of using a command line, now I can do so much more.

To be honest, it mostly involves copying exactly what is in the guide, only a couple of hardware specifics you have to work out yourself.

tcoffeep
July 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all the help. :) I'm going to try to install it. Wish me luck :)

(I mean install it after reading through the guides.)

You must admit, though, that a for a newb like me, this is very complicated stuff :P

Foxmike
July 24th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Sure it is, and it is even for a non-newbee of Ubuntu... You will discover an whole new world under the hood!:)

Good luck, and be the Patience be with you... (compiling GNOME under a Celeron 1.7GHz 768 Mb RAM took me almost 24 hours:D

ns80
July 25th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I would advise the command line install too. The Gentoo handbook is pretty comprehensive. Its just that you need a lot of patience to get the install done.