PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Daft and silly things we do

lisati
July 16th, 2007, 04:18 AM
I think I'm having "one of those weeks".

The other day, after tinkering on a Linux machine I went to copy a disk onto a ******* machine's hard drive using a DOS window, and stopped short when I found myself typing "XCOPY /" instead of "XCOPY D:\".

Just a few minutes ago the same ******* machine was asking me to logon, so I type in the details using a keyboard connected to another machine that wasn't even turned on! Daft!

lisati
October 11th, 2008, 03:31 AM
http://www.download.com/Linux-Practice-Tests-from-Boson/3000-2051_4-10067390.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=7716986

A big "huh?" since the file is an EXE file!

init1
October 11th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I think I'm having "one of those weeks".

The other day, after tinkering on a Linux machine I went to copy a disk onto a ******* machine's hard drive using a DOS window, and stopped short when I found myself typing "XCOPY /" instead of "XCOPY D:\".

Just a few minutes ago the same ******* machine was asking me to logon, so I type in the details using a keyboard connected to another machine that wasn't even turned on! Daft!
Heh, yeah I find myself typing Linux commands in DOS a lot. Thankfully, there are DOS ports for a lot of Unix commands.

zmjjmz
October 11th, 2008, 03:47 AM
http://www.download.com/Linux-Practice-Tests-from-Boson/3000-2051_4-10067390.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=7716986

A big "huh?" since the file is an EXE file!

EXE = executable.
It's not Windows specific.

lisati
October 11th, 2008, 03:49 AM
EXE = executable.
I knew that :) The download was in a list of Windows programs - I was slightly amused by practicing Linux on Windows.

init1
October 11th, 2008, 04:33 AM
EXE = executable.
I've never heard of .exe being used for Linux binaries.

zmjjmz
October 11th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I've never heard of .exe being used for Linux binaries.

They do it for Folding@Home.

lisati
May 30th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Yes I know the thread is marked "solved"...... but......

Yesterday I moved my Freeview box from the top of the sound system to inside the TV cabinet. Easy enough job, right? Just unplug what needs to be unplugged, move the box, and plug things in again - done within about 5 minutes. This morning, fire up the DVD recorder, and it wasn't getting a picture from the Freeview Box, but the sound was OK. Several minutes later, checking settings on the various bits and pieces, still no picture. The problem? One of the leads on the DVD recorder had been knocked loose and just needed to be reseated. Aaaaaargh! D'oh (nuts!)

sports fan Matt
May 30th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I honestly cant remember half of all the things (like defragging, virus checks, or the commands since Ive used Linux):lolflag:

lisati
August 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM
<rant>I'm not in a good mood at the moment. Mrs Lisati throws a cigarette lighter over, which promptly bounces of my laptop's keyboard. The 5 key goes flying, and when finally retrieved from under a couch an attempt to put it back on the keyboard results in an ominous click and a 5 key that can't be used- off to the shop later to see what they can do. Aaaargh! Hope dual-booting Vista & Ubuntu on it won't cause problems for them.....</rant>

edit: after a brief chat with the shop (who are making enquiries about the keyboard being covered by the warrant) it looks like I'll have to make it a "Vista only" machine if it needs to go in! Eeek!

chriswyatt
August 31st, 2009, 03:21 AM
OK, I wasn't expecting this thread to be completely computer related. Most of the stupid things I do are in real life and they involve alcohol and they don't relate to computers, but there we go :)

Though I do have blonde moments when I'm programming, sometimes my brain completely goes ...

Bachstelze
August 31st, 2009, 03:25 AM
Once I was wondering why Ubuntu wouldn't detect my scanner. I kept typig lsusb but nothing. It just wouldn't appear. After a while, I realized I was typing lsusb in a SSH session on one of my servers, which is in a datacenter 800 kms away from here. :p

lisati
September 3rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
<rant>I'm not in a good mood at the moment. Mrs Lisati throws a cigarette lighter over, which promptly bounces of my laptop's keyboard. The 5 key goes flying, and when finally retrieved from under a couch an attempt to put it back on the keyboard results in an ominous click and a 5 key that can't be used- off to the shop later to see what they can do. Aaaargh! Hope dual-booting Vista & Ubuntu on it won't cause problems for them.....</rant>

edit: after a brief chat with the shop (who are making enquiries about the keyboard being covered by the warrant) it looks like I'll have to make it a "Vista only" machine if it needs to go in! Eeek!

Not long got it back. My hat goes off to Toshiba. Although the damage wasn't covered by the warranty they fixed it anyway!
:D