PDA

View Full Version : Su or Sudo

ThinkBuntu
July 15th, 2007, 11:25 PM
First, I'm sure that most responses will be for sudo, as that's the Ubuntu way of doing things. But who here uses su as opposed to sudo? Does anyone exclusively log in as root, and dodge the whole dilemma? Lately I've taken to only using su, as I always turned off the sudo timeout (security reasons) and there's really little difference between using su and sudo for timeliness without the timeout. Once you take yourself out of the sudoers file, you have the benefit of blocking any administrator access with your own password, but have the increased risk of needing to enter the root password from your own account, which could possibly be recorded somehow.

So, sudo or su?

etank
July 15th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I always use sudo with Ubuntu but I also set it up for use on other distros I use as well.

AndyCooll
July 15th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Sudo everytime. It's just so easy to use.

And doesn't "sudo -s" get past the timeout?

:cool:

Freddy
July 16th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I want my su :).

RAV TUX
July 16th, 2007, 12:12 AM
First, I'm sure that most responses will be for sudo, as that's the Ubuntu way of doing things. But who here uses su as opposed to sudo? Does anyone exclusively log in as root, and dodge the whole dilemma? Lately I've taken to only using su, as I always turned off the sudo timeout (security reasons) and there's really little difference between using su and sudo for timeliness without the timeout. Once you take yourself out of the sudoers file, you have the benefit of blocking any administrator access with your own password, but have the increased risk of needing to enter the root password from your own account, which could possibly be recorded somehow.

So, sudo or su?

SUPER USER BABY! ;-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superuser

regomodo
July 16th, 2007, 12:59 AM
sudo all the time

@ etank. That's a funky bean counter

a12ctic
July 16th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Can't say I've used su sense my old debian counter strike server in like 1999. when i was still an uber linux noobie.

starcraft.man
July 16th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Never had any reason to change from sudo...

yatt
July 16th, 2007, 01:51 AM
I use su.

smartboyathome
July 16th, 2007, 02:36 AM
I use a combination. When I am typing more than 1 line, I use su. Otherwise, i use sudo.

bonzodog
July 16th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Running Zenwalk, I use su.

But I could see where sudo was useful.

Afoot
July 16th, 2007, 11:02 PM
When I know I'm gonna do a couple of commands, I'll use su, otherwise sudo.

Cope57
July 16th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I use a Root Terminal...
gksu /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator

I only have to give the root password once during the session. Since I rarely reboot, unless upgrading the kernel, sessions can last quite a long time.

ThinkBuntu
July 17th, 2007, 12:41 AM
I use a Root Terminal...
gksu /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator

I only have to give the root password once during the session. Since I rarely reboot, unless upgrading the kernel, sessions can last quite a long time.

Spooky!

roachk71
July 17th, 2007, 02:46 AM
When I use GNOME, sudo works fine. But if this command is used from within a Konsole session, the system administration GUIs refuse to work (kdesu won't start for them.)

In the case of a KDE session, I bring up the command line and use 'kdesu konsole' instead when I need a root terminal.

matthinckley
July 17th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I use sudo and if I'm going to need root access for multiple commands i run 'sudo -i'

rickyjones
July 17th, 2007, 04:15 AM
One liners, generally just use sudo. If I'm doing a little more administration I'll open up a bash shell as root (sudo bash) and use that terminal for the time being.

-Richard