PDA

View Full Version : Support not what it used to be...

NeghVar
July 15th, 2007, 11:03 PM
In advance I wish to apologize for anyone I may offend, this is not my intention, I merely wish to point out what I see as a growing problem here in Ubuntu. To the people who create these pages and offer their services I am most grateful and actively encourage you to continue doing so. Now on with my view point.

Well, after having run breezy, dapper and now feisty I have noticed a definite drop off in useful support for Ubuntu. At one time the Wiki had all the information one could possibly need, now the ones down by Ubuntu are on the verge of useless and the Community Wiki seems to have been stripped out. This is compounded by the fact that the search used in the Wiki does not actually appear to search anything at all it appears to be to lazy and comes back saying there were no topics, yet a simple search of the data by hand shows 5-10 articles, half of which are now empty.

To add to this the Forums have become so fragmented that people seeking support are overwhelmed which pushes more of them into the Beginner Section or into areas that are not really the best place to get help. I know the idea was to break up the questions so they could be answered quicker by people with expertise in that particular area however in some ways it has had the opposite effect with more users going to the general area, which in turn has pulled attention away from specialized areas. The result being that the people who post in the "right area" have fewer people to help them than in the old system.

Now then, I'm not a genius but it would appear some of these "problems" can easily be fixed. With regards to the Wiki, I understand that cleanup needs to happen but when cleaning it instead of just deleting a page and leaving the Title and link it should be removed and automatically redirected that way a user doesn't have to look at blank pages to find the information. I'm not sure how to fix the search issue as it may only be what I need to look for but there must be a way to get better results.

The Forums would be the most difficult fix as here you have a psychological issue as well, people get used to the system and don't want it to change. I for one definitely preferred the old system in use at the beginning of dapper. It was easy to find help and to find other posts which had already been answered.

Just my thoughts on the changes I have seen here in the support department throughout the distros.

aysiu
July 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I've been here since Hoary, and the support seems as good to me now as it was then.

sailor2001
July 16th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I've noticed the support slacking off a bit, but for a different reason......there seems to be much less primary Questions (how do I dual boot, etc) and more deeper Questions about the functions of ubuntu

aysiu
July 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I've noticed the support slacking off a bit, but for a different reason......there seems to be much less primary Questions (how do I dual boot, etc) and more deeper Questions about the functions of ubuntu
I think it's because of the new auto-search-for-similar-threads feature when you try to start a new thread.

v8YKxgHe
July 16th, 2007, 05:29 PM
and the Community Wiki seems to have been stripped out.

They are still very much there, go to help.ubuntu.com and click Community Docs top-right

aysiu
July 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Can you give some examples?

Post some links of what pages used to be in the Wiki but are no longer there. And post some unanswered threads that are similar to threads that typically would have been answered in "the good, old days."

I look through the unanswered posts regularly, and they're usually unanswered for a reason (too difficult to solve, too obscure a problem, etc.).

ThinkBuntu
July 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I've noticed that even semi-difficult questions get pushed off the main page quickly and seldom get answered, even after a b.u.m.p. or two. It wasn't this way when I came to the forums merely eight months ago, which is surprising...but I can't complain, because my contribution to support is shallow and not very common, except in the Other OS forum.

aysiu
July 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Again, I'd like to see examples of questions that are answerable but didn't get answered because they were "pushed off the main page."

ThinkBuntu
July 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Some of mine:

KDE: How can I remove the gray border from panels? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=494179)
Gnumeric: Help won't display (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=476642)
PHP, Apache, and Localhost (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=462091)
Audio Codec question (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=431791)
Difficulty building Banshee plugins from source (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=429465)
iPod not sorting by ID3 tags (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=389869)

I'm not implying that I don't know the answers to all of these now, but they certainly weren't answered...

aysiu
July 16th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Well, links to unanswered or unsolved threads aren't enough to establish that "support what it used to be."

You actually have to link to similar threads in the past that [I]were answered, too.

ThinkBuntu
July 16th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Again, I'd like to see examples of questions that are answerable but didn't get answered because they were "pushed off the main page."
I think I gave you what you asked before...I can't go on all day retrieving topics, but I do complain :^)

Anyway, maybe later once I'm out of the office I can hunt some of these down.

aysiu
July 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I think I gave you what you asked before...I can't go on all day retrieving topics, but I do complain :^)

Anyway, maybe later once I'm out of the office I can hunt some of these down.
You gave me support threads from the last four months that are still unsolved.

That means only that there exist unsolved support threads.

It doesn't mean support has gotten worse. In order to put forth a convincing case that support has gotten worse, you have to establish that those same kinds of threads would have been solved a year or two ago.

ThinkBuntu
July 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM
You gave me support threads from the last four months that are still unsolved.

That means only that there exist unsolved support threads.

It doesn't mean support has gotten worse. In order to put forth a convincing case that support has gotten worse, you have to establish that those same kinds of threads would have been solved a year or two ago.
I see what you're getting at. I can't prove my point of view though, because if these problems were already solved, then in theory, I wouldn't have asked them. Not to say that my forum searching skills are top-notch, but I probably won't, without much labor, find the answers to my questions by once again searching the forums. For this reason, parallel cases are going to be few and far-between when involving any posters who research before asking their questions.

aysiu
July 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Well, they don't have to be exact parallels. Obviously if you knew about a solved thread on the same topic, you wouldn't have posted your support topic in the first place. It'd be subjective, but a comparison should still be a comparison--this group of intermediate-difficulty questions got answered quickly a year ago v. this group of intermediate-difficulty questions were left unanswered three months ago.

ThinkBuntu
July 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Well, they don't have to be exact parallels. Obviously if you knew about a solved thread on the same topic, you wouldn't have posted your support topic in the first place. It'd be subjective, but a comparison should still be a comparison--this group of intermediate-difficulty questions got answered quickly a year ago v. this group of intermediate-difficulty questions were left unanswered three months ago.
Then I leave in shame for my baseless complaint.

aysiu
July 16th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Then I leave in shame for my baseless complaint.
I don't think it's necessarily baseless. I just haven't seen the evidence for it yet.

Maybe there is evidence for it. It just hasn't been presented in this thread.