PDA

View Full Version : Do you still have windows?

ashvala
July 15th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Hey Ubuntians,

I am back... Are you guys still having linux on your PC or laptop?

I was just wondering:-({|=:-({|=

Alterax
July 15th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Not for two years. Dual-booted for six months, but that was a pain. 100% pure Linux was easier.

AlexenderReez
July 15th, 2007, 09:03 AM
i use windows for gaming :)

Koybe
July 15th, 2007, 09:06 AM
@Work : I depend much on Exchange and specific program with some (grrr) activex. So I'm stuck in Windows.

@Home : I still have a little windows partition for gaming, but as I'm not playing much it's nearly useless. Ubuntu does the whole thing.

deepclutch
July 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM
never uses.but got XP on hdd for other's usage..

yatt
July 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I have Vista, but I can't exactly boot into it. How does that count?

RAV TUX
July 15th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I use windows everyday, especially in the evening when the night air is cooler and I want some fresh air.

EdThaSlayer
July 15th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I need my guild wars nightfall so yes, I still have a Windows partition. :D

UFF
July 15th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah I still have windows, gaming mostly like other people have said. That and when my friend comes over he is a ubuntuphobic so he uses XP.

super breadfish
July 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Well of course. It would be very dark without them.

As for Microsoft Windows, I don't use it on my own system any more. I have consoles to play games on and I don't need any Windows programs.

caravel
July 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I use it at work so I'm stuck with it. I'd prefer to use Ubuntu exclusively though. I've just downloaded Feisty and am ready to tackle the ATI driver problem all over again. This has been my biggest stumbling block with Linux distros, sometimes it works more of the time it doesn't and I usually run out of patience.

lisati
July 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Pure Ubunto 7.04 on my laptop, dual-boot on one desktop (XP home for some video editing software, that reminds me, I must get round to getting some more RAM to help it work better) and an older desktop that probably won't be able to handle Ubuntu (not enough RAM by a long shot, C: drive way to small Speaking of which, off upstairs to see if it's working properly!)

EndPerform
July 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I have a partition on my desktop with XP on it just in case I need it, or there's a game I can't get working. My laptop is pure Linux, though.

merlyn
July 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM
For games, only, everything else is done in Linux.

@ Caravel

Mate, check out this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=490982) thread as it provides a link to some recent x releated debs including an updated ATI driver.

It's targeted at people who are willing to test potentially unstable (test releases). However most who've tried the ATI drivers mention that it's an improvement over the current (stable) offering.

Cheers.

Nezing
July 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Ubuntu is my home desktop choice (Mandriva for messing),but at work we have upgraded from XP to Vista.When it was installed,the time it took to update all that security software made me laugh.Oh,if only my boss will let me show him the new world. :o

M$LOL
July 15th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I have it in a VM because I need it for Windows development, I also have another comp (not as powerful) that I mainly use for gaming and other stuff I don't want to VM.

mangar
July 15th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Using Windows almost exclusively, since my primary monitor has broken edid, so the propriety nVidia drivers cannot set it up at native resolution (and after several hours of x.org tweaking, I kinda gave up). Also a (Known) problem with JMicron controller, that forces a kernel parameter (removing splash, adding irqpoll), broken multimedia playback in the browser (mostly wmv's), can't sync with my mobile phone/ pda, no games, and occasional hard freezes when using 3d acceleration, had to use automatix to add support for 32bit firefox, skype, no support for my printer (except by using turboprint, where the license costs more than my printer..), and so on.

When 7.10 rolls in, I'll install it, of course (actually I'm running gutsy alpha. the long list of problems was with 7.04 install, using the development version fixed non of the problems).

kamaboko
July 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Yes, in fact I just replaced a window in my bedroom, and am thinking about new windows for the dinning room.

marco123
July 15th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I couldn't set up a dual boot on my new rig (wanted windows for gaming), it might have been that the xp pro I downloaded was a disk image.

Anyway I had to choose. So I'm now 100% Fiesty 7.04 AMD64, and I bought an Xbox360 for gaming. I bought a box without an OS and I don't see why I should pay for inferior software!

@trophy
July 15th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Still dual boot (Photoshop for me, Sims2 for the Mrs) but I cannot wait until there's a virtual machine that will allow her to play her beloved Sims2 with hardware acceleration... at that point, we'll just go ahead and stay in Ubuntu all the time and use the VM for anything Windows that we have to do.

If a FOSS VM with hardware acceleration already exists, let me know, cause I sure haven't found it yet.

insane_alien
July 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM
i have a few windows virtual machines around. even got windows 1.01 running on vmware :P

for nothing more than fun though. its interesting to use an old OS every now an again to see what people used back before i was born.

M$LOL
July 15th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Yes, in fact I just replaced a window in my bedroom, and am thinking about new windows for the dinning room.

Haha, very good :lol:

darkog
July 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM
@work - windows because I work on windows networks.

@home - just ubuntu and a mac for the wife. i don't play games anymore -- but if i did, i would probably need at least one windows pc.

mike102282
July 15th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Hey Ubuntians,

I am back... Are you guys still having linux on your PC or laptop?

I was just wondering:-({|=:-({|=

I don't have Windows and never will again!

DM was on fire!
July 15th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I have an offline Windows computer that I do my schoolwork and make graphics on. :)

%hMa@?b<C
July 15th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I am pure GNU/Linux and BSD. My mom uses WIndows 2000 for her work. My dad uses windows xp for his work. My brother uses Vista for his school. My younger brother and I are the only Exclusive Linux users.

Metacarpal
July 15th, 2007, 03:23 PM
My girlfriend uses MSOffice for her work. She's a college English teacher and emails docs to her students... She's noticed that when using OpenOffice (and saving as .doc) the formatting comes out screwy, so she insists on using MSWord.

To accommodate that, I bought CodeWeavers' CrossOver Office. Now I just have to convince her to USE it. 'Til then, one PC in my home has Windows on it, much to my dismay.

AusIV4
July 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I started using Ubuntu on a spare computer in November of '05. In December of '06, I started dual booting my main laptop, spending the vast majority of my time in Ubuntu - booting Windows only for the odd program required by classes. In February of '07 I got a System76 Gazelle, which became my main laptop. In May, I wiped Ubuntu off of my older Laptop and gave it to my mother (she refuses to learn anything other than XP, we'll see what happens when she needs a new computer and can't get XP).

Now, for the rare occasion I need Windows, I have a virtual machine. I bought on to my school's site license for $10, so Microsoft isn't getting a big chunk of change out of it, and I do use it on occasion for classes. I also buy music from iTunes Plus on occasion, since they now offer DRM free music I can play in Amarok.

I'd like to ditch Windows for good, but until Linux has alternatives for every obscure little program teachers want me to use in class, I'm stuck with it.

Ralob
July 15th, 2007, 03:31 PM
My desktop is pure Ubuntu, but I still have XP on both my laptops. Since I let other family members use them, I have yet to switch them to Ubuntu. But I will soon :D

regomodo
July 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM
i need it for photo editing, cd printing (label), games, engineering software, syncing with my mp3 player, foobar2000, film scanning.

Unfortunately there are no replacements for my needs in ubuntu/linux.

Darkcloud
July 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM
at work I have no choice but to use it ( correction fix it) tech/desktop support, at home I have xp on one desktop still only because of data recovery software I have on it ( maybe someone can tell me if there is comparable software for Ubuntu ??) I hardly ever turn it on anymore. on another desktop and my laptop its pure Ubuntu.

arashiko28
July 15th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Have it on another HDD, only connect it via USB to get the files I have in there.

60 days, windows free!!!

Rog-Mahal
July 15th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I used to dual boot on my laptop using one HDD for Linux and one for Windows (mainly for gaming and some reference things like Encarta). But then XP crashed, as it happens to. And then I discovered Ubuntu 7.04 was out. Things have gone uphill from there. I haven't gotten around to reinstalling games and using Wine, but I will if I get bored of all the free Linux games there are out there. Windows has seen the last of me now that all of my hardware works under Ubuntu.

FuturePilot
July 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Yes. For games and a few other minor things.

caravel
July 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM
@ Caravel

Mate, check out this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=490982) thread as it provides a link to some recent x releated debs including an updated ATI driver.

It's targeted at people who are willing to test potentially unstable (test releases). However most who've tried the ATI drivers mention that it's an improvement over the current (stable) offering.

Cheers.
I've spent half the day on it again and with no luck, followed the ATI wiki guide for Feisty to the letter, but the display fails to initialise every time. I had the identical problem with Edgy, the only version I've ever had it working in was Dapper. I use the manual method of downloading the driver package, not the ubuntu method.

This is pretty much why I always end up back with Windows. :confused:

Gausian
July 15th, 2007, 04:20 PM
@Home i have only Ubuntu installed on my computer. although my wifes laptop has XP on it (i cant get her to let me install Ubuntu on it.....Yet)

@Work i have to use XP because i am a mechanical engineer and we use Autodesk products there (Inventor and AutoCAD).

davidjmayo
July 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I find the windows in my car very useful

markusf21
July 16th, 2007, 04:24 AM
My desktop (this computer) has a 120 gb hdd in it windows has 10 gb and feisty has the rest.
The only reason (XP)letive is still around is my girlfriend. She needs it for school and she is addicted to popcap and bigfish games.

init1
July 16th, 2007, 04:38 AM
No. I don't need it.

Jroller90
July 16th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Yeah, I have a broken windows partition :)

avik
July 16th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Nope, Windows free for over a year (minus that time I got a new computer preinstalled with Vista).

My 8-year-old laptop has FreeBSD running, since I wanted to be able to run a webserver on it eventually (and I couldn't get DSL or any other Live CD to work).

dragonwings
July 16th, 2007, 05:07 AM
i only use windows for games that wine cant handle or i cant handle wine

Compucore
July 16th, 2007, 05:18 AM
I have a second hard drive for my laptop with XP on it. For programming within the windows environemnt purposes. But I use mainly my ubuntu over here.

COmpucore

Drifter
July 16th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Yes I use xp for quicken and online banking I do not play games but I need windows for just a few things so I dual boot

hockeyfighter09
July 16th, 2007, 06:19 AM
up until a week ago i had a dual boot with xp and ubuntu. now my laptop is pure ubuntu baby! and i dont miss windows one bit.

tcoffeep
July 16th, 2007, 06:20 AM
I deleted both Windows and the hidden 5gb paritition so I wouldn't wimp out, and turn back to windows. It was the best decision I've ever made :)

weird_c00kie
July 23rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah I still have windows, gaming mostly like other people have said. That and when my friend comes over he is a ubuntuphobic so he uses XP.

same here. ubuntuphobic friends are one reason i still have windows. other reasons are:

(1) all the DVD ripping software i've tried in ubuntu so far are either crap or very un-user-friendly.
(2) the software i need to print directly onto cds with my printer only works in windows, though i have heard rumours of similar applications available for ubuntu
(3) games just do not work... really old, basic ones sometimes do, but when you start hitting DirectX9 stuff it becomes an issue.
(4) iTunes. Yes, Songbird and Amarok can read an ipod, but they don't work well with it. their rating systems are incompatible and i like my songs rated.

that's all i can think of for now

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
I keep Windows around for my Programming and Web development testing, but not for anything else.

Eggnog
July 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
I need Windows for Quicken. Nothing Linux has compares. Not MoneyDance, not GNUCash, not KMyMoney2, or anything else I've found yet.