PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use Ubuntu over other distro's

panther_sn
July 15th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Hi I have been reading Do you use linux because it is free? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=501174) And to go along similar lines. I am wondering
Why you choose Ubuntu over other distro's?

For me it's ease of use, and great community support
What about you?

Alterax
July 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Actually, I didn't choose it out of cheapness. I'd been working with Linux because of the scalability of the OS, that it's highly customizable and great for embedded devices. It snowballed from there because I found out that it was far more powerful than I had realized--there's very little I can't do with it.

Ubuntu I chose because it's stable, has a great user interface, and an excellent track record of support with its community. It was designed to be powerful, but at the same time easy to use. On top of it, it's free--the truly mind-boggling part. I actually would gladly pay for it what MS is charging for a Vista upgrade. That they don't ask this (and make a rule not to) makes the product all the more appealing.

--Alterax

loudmouthman
July 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Nice question so here we go

1. Community: Its more inclusive and seems to have less Cabals and Cliques in place and they seem to be underminded whenever they try to embed themselves.
2. Canonicals Support: is incredibly cheap and very effective and not a hassle to implement and take part in.
3. A sense of ethics: which should be enough in itself.

yatt
July 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I don't I use Debian.

RAV TUX
July 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I don't I use Oz GNOME 1.0 ;)

EdThaSlayer
July 15th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I use Ubuntu because well, everyone knows or uses it. To add to that, it's this huge forum that keeps me stuck to Ubuntu, becuase if I have a problem then I know that someone else has had the same problem with Ubuntu.

AlexenderReez
July 15th, 2007, 10:45 AM
my first distro is fedora...and it is really suck to my computer..why?first time after i reboot computer(after finished install)..my screen state 'resolution out of range'...what a horrible welcoming message this is really pissed me off.....i try my best to survive in fedora...learn from books,wiki...forum..and i only able to stand about 2 months...but i'm glad as far as i'm using ubuntu...i never feel difficult.....and i glad thant i stay till today.....

UFF
July 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I hate to seem shallow but I use it because I read about it's popularity and some good reviews I read about it made it seem like the new linux I should try out.

I guess the Philosphy behind it kind of got me interested as well....So there is the non-shallow part :)

whistlerspa
July 15th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Because it works and is well supported

Jose Catre-Vandis
July 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
1. It works (Live CD one of the best new user features)
2. Community + Forum Support
3. Easy way to Learn Linux
4. Community + Forum Support
5. Compatibility
6. Prefer Gnome (do not like KDE but XFCE is fun)
7. Free / Open Source / Honest (spent too many years in Windows "needing" software I couldn't afford)
8. The learning curve and effort you have to put in is worth it when you get the results
9. It's Fun
10. Oh, and Community + Forum Support

DalekClock
July 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM
The main reason that I use Ubuntu is that so far it's the only distro that actually works with my USB network adaptor(I've also tried Fedora and Puppy).

lenaubry
July 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM
It's fun to use and i'm learning something else every time i sit at the PC

Nezing
July 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM
As already mentioned,the community support is excellent.I do have Mandriva on a reserve pc,but I much prefere Ubuntu.Synaptic Package Manager is a boon,as you obviously get info about what you are going to install.Ubuntu is easy to use,once you have "messed about" for a few days,and any problems can uselly be quickly sorted out.You dont need to install tons of nightmare security software,and linux does not fragment anything like Windows,if hardly at all.I agree with Jose,the live cd,which you can use to see if you like the distro is a plus ten to me.

Ultra Magnus
July 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I think allot of my reasons for using Ubuntu are silly and noobish but then again I am pretty new to Linux:

1 - Ubuntu has a large and friendly community which doesn't frown on noobs like me, so finding solutions to problems is quick and easy because there is usually someone who has already solved it.

2 - IKind of the same as above, but there is allot of documentation available and how tos on the internet often address Ubuntu users

3 - I like the quirky names - When my friends say "I'm using windows vista", I like saying "I'm using Ubuntu fiesty fawn"!

4 - Its easy to use, but doesn't go the way of trying to make itself more like windows

5 - Downloading 1 cd is far less hassle than the 5 or 6 you get for some distros

and loads more reasons but I'm too lazy to carry on!

M$LOL
July 15th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Because when I started Linux I was a n00b, and I needed something easy, so a friend suggested Ubuntu, and I've been with it ever since.

misfitpierce
July 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM
all reasons have been named... I used mandriva before ubuntu and it was unstable to me and had lots of errors and I was not happy. I tried ubuntu and wireless on laptop was a piece of cake to setup... Very happy with distro

gabhla
July 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I first used Ubuntu some three years ago (I think it was the first or second version - forget what's it 's called) because it was the easiest to install and use of all the other Linux distros I'd tried up to then. The only hardware configuration issue I had was with my sound card and that was fixed, thanks to the Ubuntu Community. Back when I initally attempted an escape from Windows, Linux distros were hell to install and use. Post install required configuration of sound, video, internet connceciont - on and on. Sometimes you could, but often couldn't. Then came Ubuntu and everything (exept sound) just worked.

We can thank Ubuntu for offering a distro which made the transition from Windows less of a hassle. Now there's several distros which "work" out-of-the-box.

Eggnog
July 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I started out a year or two ago with MEPIS just because I wanted to try something different from Windows. No other reason. It was okay. The community was pretty good at first, but then seasoned members began insulting noobs who were simply asking questions any noob is likely to ask. I quickly soured on it and went back to Windows. All the while, though, I was watching DistroWatch and reading up on Linux from time to time.

Then I decided to try Ubuntu a month or so ago and I'm happy as can be. I haven't been using it all that long but I already feel totally comfortable with it. Besides the community is active, dedicated and top notch. Bar none.

Wiebelhaus
July 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
It's the brown.

hockeyfighter09
July 16th, 2007, 08:08 AM
because its free, has a great community, and its not windows

Frak
July 16th, 2007, 08:42 AM
1. It works, best I've seen so far
2. Community
3. Its supported by a company and community, not just community alone.
4. Diverse range of choice, such as Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Studio
5. Compatability
6. Free/Open Source
7. Great Forums
8. Ease of use
9. something else
10. Those who understand binary and those who dont, I mean usability is good :)