PDA

View Full Version : O&O Defrag Linux

redlabour
July 19th, 2005, 09:48 AM
http://www.oo-software.com/de/products/oodlinux/

Give it to us ... ;)

dave9191
July 19th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Beside the page being all in German, Im guessing its a defragger for Linux... something linux doesnt need....

Dave

redlabour
July 19th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Beside the page being all in German, Im guessing its a defragger for Linux... something linux doesnt need....

Dave
English version : http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodlinux/

Analysis/defragmentation of EXT2 and EXT3 drive partitions, the standard Linux file systems

Analysis/defragmentation of individual files

Analysis/defragmentation of individual partitions

Secure defragmentation with the unique "Security Mode". This enables you to repair an inconsistent file system when O&O Defrag Linux has been abnormally ended (e.g. by a power cut).

Various defragmentation methods:

Normal defragmentation

SPACE - defragmentation

The static version of O&O Defrag Linux can be started from a floppy disk (1,44 MB). In this way it is possible to optimize the root partition of the system with the help of a a start floppy or CD in combination with O&O Defrag Linux.

dave9191
July 19th, 2005, 11:01 AM
My bad, I should have looked for a language selector.

But ext3 is very resistent to file fragmentation. And all you really need to do is move the files of the disk and write them on again if you have a need to "defrag". Isnt this kind of a redudent tool ?

Dave

redlabour
July 19th, 2005, 11:02 AM
My bad, I should have looked for a language selector.

But ext3 is very resistent to file fragmentation. And all you really need to do is move the files of the disk and write them on again if you have a need to "defrag". Isnt this kind of a redudent tool ?

Dave

No because it checks (!) and analyze (!) & defrags in one step !

BTW - O&O is the Marketleader of Defragmentationsoftware and their Technology is the fastest one and stablest i ever seen.

pressureman
July 19th, 2005, 11:48 AM
But ext3 is very resistent to file fragmentation. And all you really need to do is move the files of the disk and write them on again if you have a need to "defrag".

You are kidding aren't you? That used to be Windows NT4's solution to fragmentation. Technology has progressed beyond that, surely! Your suggestion is completely impractical for a production server. :-|

redlabour
July 19th, 2005, 11:56 AM
You are kidding aren't you? That used to be Windows NT4's solution to fragmentation. Technology has progressed beyond that, surely! Your suggestion is completely impractical for a production server. :-|

Full Ack !

dave9191
July 19th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Well Im saying thats one way of doing it, but your dont have to do that unless something bad happens to your FS. ive never needed to defrag ext3, nor have I ever heard of anyone else needing to either. The fragmentation is next to non existent.

Dave

redlabour
July 19th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Well Im saying thats one way of doing it, but your dont have to do that unless something bad happens to your FS. ive never needed to defrag ext3, nor have I ever heard of anyone else needing to either. The fragmentation is next to non existent.

Dave
Anyway there are a lot of Opinions about this. Anyone should know if he installed it or not. That is no reason to dont integrated it to the Backports.

az
July 19th, 2005, 01:17 PM
http://www.oo-software.com/de/products/oodlinux/

Give it to us ... ;)

Single License $44.95

It is proprietary. I would guess that it's licence does not allow for it to be packages in a free and open OS.

redlabour
July 19th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Single License $44.95

It is proprietary. I would guess that it's licence does not allow for it to be packages in a free and open OS.
We are talking about the free Linuxbeta.

Not the commercial Windowsversion !

dave9191
July 19th, 2005, 01:42 PM
But is the linux beta going to be free when it comes out of beta stages? And I cant find a license agreement for it short of downloading it, so they might not even allow your to host the beta elsewhere.

Dave

redlabour
July 19th, 2005, 01:43 PM
But is the linux beta going to be free when it comes out of beta stages? And I cant find a license agreement for it short of downloading it, so they might not even allow your to host the beta elsewhere.

Dave
I write a Mail to them and ask for their allowing.

oodtuxbeta@oo-services.com

redlabour
July 19th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I write a Mail to them and ask for their allowing.

oodtuxbeta@oo-services.com
They doesn´t give their OK.

Can somebody move it please do "Deferred/Invalid Requests " ?

Thx ..... ;)

dave9191
July 19th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Not a terribly big supprise there :)

Dave

AgenT
July 19th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Why would you want to defarg anyway? That makes no sense! It would probably make your system even worse than it is now. The reason is that most filesystems on Linux DO NOT need to be defragmented. It's just how they work.

For example, Apple does not include a defrag utility with OSX. Why? Because it uses a filesystem that does NOT need a defrag utility (like Linux).

The only user that would want a defrag program is someone who comes from Windows and is still stuck in the stone age of computers (Windows). ;)

rwabel
July 22nd, 2005, 06:08 PM
I would like to see a linux defrag tool for fat32. It would be handy to defrag mp3 players or some fat32 partitions. I know I could boot back to windows xp...but that's not the purpose :-)

cosimo
November 18th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Hello all,
I have installed O&O defrag on my ubuntu machine as well as another linux defrag utility.
I have used O&O on windows for years, would not use anything else and would like to try this linux version.
Having said that, I am stumped by the parameters of the utility, ie...

O&O Defrag - Defragmentation for Linux ext2/ext3.
(c) 2005 O&O Software GmbH. All rights reserved.
O&O Defrag CommandLine Utility Beta Version 1.0 Build 4771

Usage: oodcmd -[qrw] [-a | -m security-mode] [-s | f file-list] /dev/name
-a --analyse analyze mode
-f --file only process given files
-m --mode security mode during defragmentation:
0 = off, 1 = on (default)
-q --silent supress output
-u --unsafe skip e2fsck
-w --waitkey waits for keystroke after finishing

If someone could explain this syntax to me I would appreciate it.
NOW, an OS, regardless of what it is , will fragment. Sorry linux guys that's the way it is.
The only OS that fragmented very little was BeOs which was prctically tattooed onto the hard drive, and even then it fragmented
I have already noticed, after several months of this install, a decrease in performance.
windows, linux, etc, all fragment regardless of what you believe!
So if any one can explain those parameters to me WITHOUT personal opinions i would appreciate it
Thanks ahead of time
Coz

dave9191
November 18th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Usage: oodcmd -[qrw] [-a | -m security-mode] [-s | f file-list] /dev/name

oodcmd :: program name

-[qrw] :: options, pick the ones u want -qr or -qw -r What the letters mean is explained in the manual page. q and w and explained on the syntax print out page

[-a | -m security-mode] :: again more options, you can choose -a or -m with an option. I can only guess, but you probably want -a.

[-s | f file-list] :: -s should be explained in the man page. the -f lets your choose what files to defrag.

/dev/name :: the drive you want defraged.

So a working command might look like

oodcmd -w -a /dev/hda1

And to view the man page, type man oodcmd.

As for filesystems fragmenting, that will always happen, but most modern file systems defrag during usage making defrag tools obsolete.

Dave

G_u_s
December 5th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I

NOW, an OS, regardless of what it is , will fragment. Sorry linux guys that's the way it is.
The only OS that fragmented very little was BeOs which was prctically tattooed onto the hard drive, and even then it fragmented
I have already noticed, after several months of this install, a decrease in performance.
windows, linux, etc, all fragment regardless of what you believe!

the slowdown is in your head =) ext2fs doesn't care about fragmentation.

hav0x
December 6th, 2005, 01:45 AM
defrag'in linux ... well that's a first.
Whatever dude.

Sukarn
June 3rd, 2006, 09:29 AM
Its been a while since the last post here, but I'm using an ext3 partition for /home, and i'm almost always downloading stuff with wget. My HDD is shown (during check) as 19.9% fragmented. Theres almost no slowdown (except login
) but the fragmentation is there.

cbreaker
April 10th, 2007, 11:33 PM
It looks like OO software pulled this - the link doesn't work anymore and a search of "linux" on their site brings up nothing. It's too bad, I was hoping they'd develop it and allow the linux version to be managed from the network tools like the Windows version.

On another note..

A filesystem fragments. If you don't understand why or how it happens, then you shouldn't speak about how some systems "never" need defragmentation.

There's been various tricks to work around it, such as MacOS's automatic defragmentation-on-read (if certain conditions are met.) NTFS attempts to avoid fragmentation when possible; it will try to place a file in a nice contiguous stretch of free space. But the fact remains that fragmentation happens on all systems.

Take this example:

Files AA, BB, CC, and DD fill the disk.

AABBCCDD

Let's say I delete B and D:

AA--CC--

Now I want to add file EEE. What do I do?

AAEECCE-

I've put the file on the disk, and I had to split it in two pieces. The file has become fragmented.

The only alternative would have been to deny the write, and we don't want that.

So imagine that situation, on a much larger scale with many files (ranging into the millions for a busy file server) of varying sizes. While it's true that different file systems are hurt more then others when it comes to fragmentation (FAT being a clear loser - the disk constantly has to track back to the FAT to find the next part of the file) it's also true that it can and will negatively affect performance given enough time and enough file changes.

Newer filesystems definitely do not require defragmentation as much as old ones, and because of that a low-volume filesystem might never need to be defragmented. The only time when you really need to look into it if when performance is negatively affected.

As of right now, Linux users are faced with the very real problem of defragmenting their disks the Windows NT 4 way: Backup disk, format disk, restore disk. Yuck.

yahooadam
May 3rd, 2007, 11:31 PM
I'm a bit of a n00b to Linux, and i had a few questions

Is fragmentation possible on ext3 ?
What can you do about said fragmentation ?
how can you find out how fragmented the drive is ?

i heard if you run "fsck" it will defrag and organise your drive and stuff - is this true ?

when i try and run fsck i get "WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted file system may cause SEVERE file system damage."

How can i run it without damage, how can i unmount the main HDD with all of ubuntu on it :S

lbelmond
February 26th, 2008, 03:16 PM
=^.^=

lbelmond
February 26th, 2008, 03:27 PM
oh... just a little doubt... this thread started in 2005 if i'm not wrong...
it seems that o&o defrag for linux does not exist any more...
while windows version is really useful to me... both in vista and xp (vista ntfs seems to be different from previous ones, as i got on wikipedia),
as paragon partition manager and terabyteunlimited image are fundamental (native applications in linux)

i've heard (somewhere over the internet, don't ask where, i don't remember) that windows 7 could reproduce a unix-like system under the skin... in this case defrag could be not necessary even in windows...

yahooadam
February 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM
although i can understand the file system in Linux not "fragmenting" they may not contiguosly sort files

This is a problem because all modern HDD's precache data, and their best guess is to grab the next block (hopefully the next file)

Most defraggers in windows also "order" the files, so that they are easier to access for the HDD

also, if files aren't contiguous on the disc, the head has to move around a lot more then it should

I think I'm getting confused between "ordering" the files and "defragging" them - both of which are important

lbelmond
February 27th, 2008, 04:48 AM
=^.^=