PDA

View Full Version : What would you change about modern desktops if you could?

smartboyathome
July 15th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I am just wondering what you would change if you could about the modern desktop (ones like Windows, KDE, GNOME, Mac, etc). I made a mockup of what I would like to see (not colorful or pretty, I know, but I like it). I want to see what everyone else would like.

A little background on my mockup:
Right before I made this mockup, I was thinking "Why should the programs we have be separate from the desktop?" I came up with the idea of "Quick Clients", little clients that load with your desktop to give you quick access to your favorite programs. Some of these have more than one side-by-side. These just mean that there is more than one panel for it (ie, the E-mail client has a panel for reading mail, composing mail, and your inbox). Also, I would like to be able to shrink my windows down to my desktop (to un-clutter my dock for other programs). Anyway, what do you want to happen with the current desktop, if anything?

loudmouthman
July 16th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I want a Technical Support button that when pressed can allow the user to type in the NAME of the element the user is supposed to be pointing out. e.g

When I ask the user to goto the Start Menu or even the Taskbar they very often have no clue about this since they dont understand the metaphor.

So in pressing Fn button they are greeted with a big text box they type the name of the control they should be looking for and then they are presented with a BIG ARROW which points to the item in question.

fyllekajan
July 16th, 2007, 11:20 AM
How do you switch between cubes (multiple desktops, not virtual desktops) in compiz-fusion? It should be easy (like a keybinding or so). I don't want to rely on for example GNOME's pager to get the job done.

It would also be nice to easily set keybindings to arbitrary windows scattered all around the cubes, to get that specific window (or group) focused IMMEDIATELY. Moving the mouse all around town á la MS Windows could be useful for playing with eye-candy but the desktop should also be efficient. No unnecessary movements or clicks. Even Window Maker has this focus functionality damnit (and in E16 you can assign windows to keybindings with eesh and later locate it where you left it on some of the 2048 desktops with the click of a single key). The desktop should be working for the user not the other way around.

There you have it, and if you like it messy (as in mockup) throw some gadgets on top of it if you like.

:guitar:

Edit: oh yea, a VR environment instead of a desktop would be nice, then again it wouldn't be a desktop...