PDA

View Full Version : "real" - it's not an adverb

%hMa@?b<C
July 14th, 2007, 02:49 PM
real is an adjective such as
"Is that a real piano?"
real cannot be used as an adverb; no matter how hard you try, the following sentence is incorrect
"Updating the software is real easy"
in that particular case, the adverbial form, "really" should be used.

just venting :(

needtolookatascreenshot
July 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=519877

SunnyRabbiera
July 14th, 2007, 02:57 PM
real smooth.... :P

%hMa@?b<C
July 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM
real smooth.... :P

grrrr... I knew that someone would pull that.

LaRoza
July 14th, 2007, 03:03 PM
For real?

aysiu
July 14th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Real can be an adverb colloquially (in speech or informal writing):
Main Entry: 3real
Function: adverb
: VERY <he was real cool -- H. M. McLuhan>
usage Most handbooks consider the adverb real to be informal and more suitable to speech than writing. Our evidence shows these observations to be true in the main, but real is becoming more common in writing of an informal, conversational style. It is used as an intensifier only and is not interchangeable with really except in that use.

LaRoza
July 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Some people can't speak english real good. I get frusterated also, but people don't like you if you correct them, so the best thing to do is to make a point to speak properly.

(Yes, the first sentence is wrong, I also know that it is wrong to ever split an infinitive.)

aysiu
July 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM
It's not wrong to split an infinitive.

wersdaluv
July 14th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Oh my gosh!

aysiu is here. I am so happy!

:KS

LaRoza
July 14th, 2007, 03:18 PM
It's not wrong to split an infinitive.

I know, but many rules have been changed like ending sentences with prepositions. There are really no hard rules in spoken languages.

coffeecat
July 14th, 2007, 03:35 PM
real is an adjective such as
"Is that a real piano?"
real cannot be used as an adverb; no matter how hard you try, the following sentence is incorrect
"Updating the software is real easy"
in that particular case, the adverbial form, "really" should be used.

just venting :(

On this side of the pond, "real easy" just sounds American. But I'm glad to hear that people in Boston have an ear for real English. :lol: :wink:

M$LOL
July 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I'll learn yeh to talk real proper :P

Anthem
July 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I've always wanted to boldly split infinitives where none had been split before.

bread eyes
July 14th, 2007, 07:42 PM
It is perfectly sense it makered, it make an none sense if are force self in brain.

Hypnoguardian
July 14th, 2007, 07:50 PM
English isn't French. In English words are defined by usage not some central arbiter. English dictionaries are supposed to follow usage not prescribe it. At least that's the way it works in the UK.

Personally, as long as efficient communication is occurring I couldn't care less.

bread eyes
July 14th, 2007, 08:01 PM
English isn't French. In English words are defined by usage not some central arbiter. English dictionaries are supposed to follow usage not prescribe it. At least that's the way it works in the UK.

Personally, as long as efficient communication is occurring I couldn't care less.

No, stop being intelligent!

M$LOL
July 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I never knew that was how French worked, interesting.

sw1995
July 14th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Meh. Talk is cheap. Cut and paste an original piece of writing and we'll see just how far above the radar of the grammar police you really fly.

-S

sw1995
July 14th, 2007, 09:56 PM
English dictionaries are supposed to follow usage not prescribe it.

You should check out the essay "Authority and American Usage" found in the book "Consider the Lobster and Other Essays" by David Foster Wallace. It will blow your mind.

-S