PDA

View Full Version : Will Canonical prioritize Kubuntu as much at how it prioritizes Ubuntu?

wersdaluv
July 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Ubuntu is the main project of Canonical, as far as I know. For KDE lovers, Canonical started the Kubuntu Project.

KDE is great and many *buntu users prefer it. By the time KDE 4 is released, I believe that even more will prefer KDE.

I am just wondering, will Canonical ever prioritize Kubuntu the way it prioritizes Ubuntu?

Game_boy
July 14th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Does it need to? Surely Kubuntu's just Ubuntu with KDE packages. Not much work needed really...

wersdaluv
July 14th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I believe that the reason why there is such a thing as a "Distro" is because some work is required.

Extreme Coder
July 14th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Does it need to? Surely Kubuntu's just Ubuntu with KDE packages. Not much work needed really...
I agree with the OP.
The new features of Ubuntu like easy codec installation, and the other stuff wasn't added to Kubuntu. Instead, KDE users get a new effect when they open a folder :/
I moved on, Mandriva/OpenSUSE for me in KDE. :)

stepan2
July 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM
i am making a new OS wich will have kde and it will be based on ubuntu.we will have kde 4 as soon as it comes out :D and on the second release , a control panel like pclinuxOS , and the debian delta way of upgradeing(when in order to upgrade , you download a package that has just the bits that the program needs to update)

SunnyRabbiera
July 14th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I dont like Kubuntu as much as I do ubuntu, it seems buggier then the standard ubuntu with KDE slapped onto it

HotShotDJ
July 14th, 2007, 02:25 PM
As noted by wersdaluv, KDE doesn't get as much love as GNOME in the world of Ubuntu, and YES, it does take work to maintain a desktop environment for a particular distribution. One important thing that you need to consider is the fact that Gutsy will probably be the last version of Kubuntu using the KDE3 desktop. KDE4 is a MAJOR overhaul of KDE with many, many, MANY changes going on upstream. It really would be a wasted effort to do a lot of developing for KDE3 when it will be obsolete soon. I would rather the Kubuntu developers spend their time on KDE4 stuff so that Gutsy + 1 will rock!
:guitar:

stepan2
July 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM
it wont be obsolete for kubuntu . They will not be using it for gutsy and the later version. That is why i started my project

Andrewie
July 14th, 2007, 02:32 PM
my guess is your a KDE user. Just give up and leave. I'm so sick of kubuntu, Red Hat gives us a stable kde and they don't even care about it, slackware has a stable kde and they only use up stream patches, just take a look at opensuse need I say more. I have no idea how they can break something that much, just compile the damn thing and package it. It doesn't even have all the admin tools that ubuntu has.

If you want to try a *working* version of kde 4, slackware, mandriva, or even Red Hat.

sorry about the rant, when it comes to kde the great leader is all talk and no action.

plb
July 14th, 2007, 02:45 PM
debian unstable kde is great =)

mike102282
July 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
debian unstable kde is great =)

agreed I love KDE!

OzzyFrank
July 14th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Check out this poll for your answer:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474301

Most use Gnome, as do I. However, when I feel like a change for a session or two my Kubuntu gives me a nice stable KDE. A couple of apps crash here and there, but generally stable otherwise. I was getting wowed by KDE back in Edgy, but since Feisty I've realised how much Gnome can be customised, so have ended up preferring that instead.

eentonig
July 14th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I use Gnome, but I'm trying KDE for the moment. It seems to run faster then gnome did. But I really don't like the look the feeling of it.

But to answer the question. I doubt it. Even though Mark S. is apparently using KDE as his personal DE, the main distro's DE choice was gnome. So it's only logic that the first ressources go in to making sure that that remains a topc-class product.

Extreme Coder
July 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM
As noted by wersdaluv, KDE doesn't get as much love as GNOME in the world of Ubuntu, and YES, it does take work to maintain a desktop environment for a particular distribution. One important thing that you need to consider is the fact that Gutsy will probably be the last version of Kubuntu using the KDE3 desktop. KDE4 is a MAJOR overhaul of KDE with many, many, MANY changes going on upstream. It really would be a wasted effort to do a lot of developing for KDE3 when it will be obsolete soon. I would rather the Kubuntu developers spend their time on KDE4 stuff so that Gutsy + 1 will rock!
:guitar:
Gutsy+1 will NOT have KDE 4.

Extreme Coder
July 14th, 2007, 03:33 PM
my guess is your a KDE user. Just give up and leave. I'm so sick of kubuntu, Red Hat gives us a stable kde and they don't even care about it, slackware has a stable kde and they only use up stream patches, just take a look at opensuse need I say more. I have no idea how they can break something that much, just compile the damn thing and package it. It doesn't even have all the admin tools that ubuntu has.

If you want to try a *working* version of kde 4, slackware, mandriva, or even Red Hat.

sorry about the rant, when it comes to kde the great leader is all talk and no action.
Sadly agreed :(
Even Xubuntu doesn't get any love :(

HotShotDJ
July 14th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Gutsy+1 will NOT have KDE 4.
What makes you say that? I know that Gutsy won't, although the packages will probably be available for it shortly after KDE4 is released. But what makes you believe that Gutsy+1 won't?

needtolookatascreenshot
July 14th, 2007, 04:18 PM
What makes you say that? I know that Gutsy won't, although the packages will probably be available for it shortly after KDE4 is released. But what makes you believe that Gutsy+1 won't?

IIRC, it's a little more complicated.
Gutsy +1 will be a long term support release. That's why kubuntu will not ship with something as new as kde4 as default. However, kde4 will be available for those who want it and there will even be a special install cd with kde4 for those who want it. If you want to do any more research, I think Jonathan Riddel spoke about this at akadamy.

maniacmusician
July 14th, 2007, 05:19 PM
IIRC, it's a little more complicated.
Gutsy +1 will be a long term support release. That's why kubuntu will not ship with something as new as kde4 as default. However, kde4 will be available for those who want it and there will even be a special install cd with kde4 for those who want it. If you want to do any more research, I think Jonathan Riddel spoke about this at akadamy.
that's correct. He believes that KDE4 will not be stable enough by then to be included by default. If it is, they may do it, but it's an unlikely scenario.

However, they will certainly provide KDE4 packages for those of us that want to use it. Some say that there's even talk of a separate KDE4 CD being released.

Andrewie
July 14th, 2007, 07:20 PM
that's correct. He believes that KDE4 will not be stable enough by then to be included by default. If it is, they may do it, but it's an unlikely scenario.

However, they will certainly provide KDE4 packages for those of us that want to use it. Some say that there's even talk of a separate KDE4 CD being released.

the Novell developers think its going to be ok, so I'm going to wait and see.

Erunno
July 14th, 2007, 07:58 PM
the Novell developers think its going to be ok, so I'm going to wait and see.

God knows when openSUSE 10.4/11 will be released as their release schedule isn't as tight as Ubuntu's. It wouldn't be a surprise to me if it'll be around the time when Gutsy + 2 will see the light of day.

And:

*waits patiently for Hobbsee's "Patches, b****!"*

EmaRsk
July 14th, 2007, 09:44 PM
To be honest, I use neither Gnome or KDE (I use a hacked evilwm), but I tend to prefer KDE apps.
However, me apart, many people prefer KDE, (56.58% vs 30.56% of Gnome, accordingly to this poll (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=514945)), so it's just a pity that it doesn't get proper attention from the ubuntu developers.
I'd love to see the Ubuntu distro come in three flavours:
kubuntu
xubuntu
gubuntuThat would be really fair :)

FuturePilot
July 14th, 2007, 09:54 PM
To be honest, I use neither Gnome or KDE (I use a hacked evilwm), but I tend to prefer KDE apps.
However, me apart, many people prefer KDE, (56.58% vs 30.56% of Gnome, accordingly to this poll (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=514945)), so it's just a pity that it doesn't get proper attention from the ubuntu developers.

According to this pole it's the exact oppositehttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=424586
That's because the default is Gnome. It can be the opposite for other distros. Some distros are KDE distros but also have either a Gnome version or Gnome can be installed through the repos, but it doesn't get all the attention that KDE does from the devs.

PCLinuxOS is a KDE distro but has Gnome in the repos. But it is pretty much a mess and incomplete. Why? Because it's a KDE distro.

So why doesn't Kubuntu get the attention that Ubuntu does? Because it's a Gnome distro. Simple as that.

Andrewie
July 14th, 2007, 09:54 PM
God knows when openSUSE 10.4/11 will be released as their release schedule isn't as tight as Ubuntu's. It wouldn't be a surprise to me if it'll be around the time when Gutsy + 2 will see the light of day.

And:

*waits patiently for Hobbsee's "Patches, b****!"*

it comes out every six months......

http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap/10.3#openSUSE_10.3_Schedule

Suse 10.3 is coming out oct.4.

I'm not suse if you actually use kubuntu but if you tried any other distro other then kubuntu you will understand that its crap. They also brag but being huge kde fans which annoys me and everyone.

for example:

ubuntu will search for codecs. kubuntu doesn't
ubuntu has a gui tool to set up sources. kubuntu doesn't
ubuntu has the hardware manager. kubuntu doesn't
ubuntu comes with compiz. Kubuntu doesn't (I'm not 100% sure about that)

thats stuff off the top of my head

Andrewie
July 14th, 2007, 09:57 PM
According to this pole it's the exact oppositehttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=424586
That's because the default is Gnome. It can be the opposite for other distros. Some distros are KDE distros but also have either a Gnome version or Gnome can be installed through the repos, but it doesn't get all the attention that KDE does from the devs.

PCLinuxOS is a KDE distro but has Gnome in the repos. But it is pretty much a mess and incomplete. Why? Because it's a KDE distro.

So why doesn't Kubuntu get the attention that Ubuntu does? Because it's a Gnome distro. Simple as that.

linuxquestions is a distro indepent web site, so they may have better results then a gnome distro.

Red Hat is the biggest Gnome supporter in the Linux world, but even they can provide a working kde.

Hex_Mandos
July 14th, 2007, 09:59 PM
You could go for the best of both worlds: install Ubuntu, then add the kubuntu-desktop or kde-core packages. That's what I'm doing right now. Plus, different users can use different DEs or WMs.

needtolookatascreenshot
July 14th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Well, according to Mark Shuttleworth and the guys from cannonical it isn't.

Andrewie
July 14th, 2007, 10:04 PM
You could go for the best of both worlds: install Ubuntu, then add the kubuntu-desktop or kde-core packages. That's what I'm doing right now. Plus, different users can use different DEs or WMs.

:confused: this isn't a flame-war so your point is useless.

------

its not a kde is better then gnome, its a your gnome is so good how come your kde is crap thread.

edit: forget this I'm just trolling now, I'm out

FuturePilot
July 14th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Well I definitely would like to see some of the features in Gnome get put into KDE. I've been thinking about switching to Kubuntu, but there's too much stuff missing. Like the easy codec installation and the Restricted Driver Manager.

I wonder if Compiz-Fusion will make it into Kubuntu. Right now in Gutsy as soon as you install the graphics driver and reboot Compiz-Fusion gets automatically enabled.

Erunno
July 14th, 2007, 10:11 PM
it comes out every six months......

http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap/10.3#openSUSE_10.3_Schedule

Suse 10.3 is coming out oct.4.

openSUSE 10.2 was released in December 2006. Maybe they're planning to change it to a semi-annual release schedule but right now I'm not aware of any release plans beyond 10.3.

Well, it does since 7.04 but it had a crash bug when entering paths to PGP keys which contained umlauts and nobody bothered to fix it although it has been reported.

Frak
July 14th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I hope they start to put some effort into it. WE ARE PEOPLE TOO!

FuturePilot
July 14th, 2007, 10:14 PM

Do you mean manage the repositories? It actually does. It's part of Adept.

PriceChild
July 14th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I'm closing this thread.

An exceedingly similar discussion took place in the Gutsy Gibbon development forum and very quickly turned into flaming of Canonical and the Ubuntu developers.

I suggest to you all, that if you think it could be better, that you go do something about it instead of moaning and whinging on this forum. Moaning and whinging will not help anyone and only annoys others.

I am not a motu, yet I have a package in Universe and have patched another package or two. In the same way, there is no requirement for you to be an ubuntu-core-dev in order to send patches or fixes into main. Do the work and get it sponsored, that is the only thing that will help things get better.
</rant>

EDIT - also please take into account that the majority of the ubuntu developers are unpaid. They are volunteers and members of the community just like you or I.

They do not owe you anything.
They work on what they want to work on.
They work whenever they can/want to.This goes for you too, you can work on anything if you really want to.

I think many of us should be a little more appreciative.