PDA

View Full Version : "Your operating system is BROWN???"

jamieh
July 14th, 2007, 04:46 AM
What on EARTH goes on in Canonicals heads??? I mean BROWN??? That is the color of SH*T!!! Xubuntu looks very pretty, why can't Ubuntu look like that? I could change the theme, but deep down, it is still the ugly color what my dog left on the floor last week.

Zzl1xndd
July 14th, 2007, 04:49 AM
What on EARTH goes on in Canonicals heads??? I mean BROWN??? That is the color of SH*T!!! Xubuntu looks very pretty, why can't Ubuntu look like that? I could change the theme, but deep down, it is still the ugly color what my dog left on the floor last week.

Well I agree that Im not a big brown fan some people like it.

wolfen69
July 14th, 2007, 04:50 AM
it's real easy to change it. relax.

Nythain
July 14th, 2007, 04:56 AM
option A. change your theme
option B. write your own linux distrobution so you can have it be a prettier color

bodhi.zazen
July 14th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Moved to cafe as this is not a support question.

Personally :

1. I like the change of color. Blue is soooo overdone.

2. The default setup lasts for less then 5 min for me and most distro's.

Check you menu you can change the theme ;)
Google or search the forums for additional themes.
http://www.gnome-look.org/

kevinlyfellow
July 14th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Relax and take a deep breath... brown was chosen because 1) it is unlike any other desktop 2) brown is an organic color, its suppose to be relaxing and more natural feeling. Many people really seem up in arms about having brown on the desktop, and I can't seem to understand why. I don't like the current themes (light brown) but I liked the earlier dark brown themes. But it matters very little since it is so easy to change.

This has been discussed a lot, and a simple search will give you plenty of opinions on the matter. Here's a thread to start you off. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14649

glaubergoncalves
July 14th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Well... instead of brown as s*#t, I'd rather comparing it to brown/orange as terra cotta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracota), way more respectable... :wink: In the end, I think it's just a matter of personal taste, I enjoy the Human theme pretty much, think it's pretty cool and different from the usual. I'm trying out Clearlooks for a while and already miss Human's colors and icons! :)

crimesaucer
July 14th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Brown and Orange are very beautiful together. The xubuntu colors are really nice also (I use xubuntu).

Themes are easy to install, any color combo is possible...

Ubuntu is known for their look, which a lot of people really love.

xtacocorex
July 14th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Quit over-reacting and learn to accept change and things that aren't normal. That's what Linux is about, eccentricities and the ability to do what you want with your OS.

Deep down inside, it isn't brown, it's whatever you want it to be.

sloggerkhan
July 14th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I'm a big fan of the dark brown themes. Of course I customize mine a lot. Lately I've been feeling like a gray murrine theme. Probably I have a lot of nostalgia for classic mac.

freebird54
July 14th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Well - one of the reasons I was so happy when I first got ahold of Ubuntu was the fact that the colour was not all that far off my own preferred colours - something difficult to achieve since my Amiga days.

Can't say that I left it stock though - darker shades abound now - but the basic combination remains as it is so easy on the eyes!

Blue is *SO* overdone! :)

Of course, if dayglo lime green is your thing - it is but a click or two away!

jimrz
July 14th, 2007, 05:42 AM

yep ... love it ... you're free to change yours as you like ... if your still so hung up on blue, ClearLooks is a very well done / polished theme that should be right up your alley

FuturePilot
July 14th, 2007, 05:51 AM

Yep. I think I kept the Human theme for a day or two.

Anyways, it looks more orange than brown to me.

One of the things I love about Linux is that it's so customizable. You can make it look however you want. Make it look how you like it :)

panther_sn
July 14th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I wouldve said it was burnt orange, but anyway I dont know any1 that keeps the standard colors, thats why I love Ubuntu so m,uch it's so easy to change things

Taino
July 14th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Its earthy, i like it... :) Why does everything have to be so clinical and sterilized? metallic, silver, and blue all the time?

BROWN???

:lolflag:

phrostbyte
July 14th, 2007, 05:58 AM
The brown makes Ubuntu stand out. All other OSes are blue (SAD) :( :confused: ! Ubuntu is alive and organic. :popcorn:

ComplexNumber
July 14th, 2007, 06:01 AM
i quite liked the brown. i much preferred it to orange.

j.miller565
July 14th, 2007, 06:12 AM
I like it how it is now. it's unique

BigSilly
July 14th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I quite like it too. It's easier on the eye than the constant blue of every other desktop. I change it and mess about with it, but I always end up back with the orangey brown of Human.

Plus, it's not harmed Ubuntu at all has it? It's made the OS stand out from the rest.

xpod
July 14th, 2007, 11:34 AM
"Your operating system is BROWN???"

Nooo,my default desktop is brown.......sometimes blue.

My operating system,well thats probably more colourful than the big pack of coloured cayons my two year old is currently drawing on her multi coloured paper with:)

Never judge a book by it`s cover,especially when you can change that cover at a moments notice.Hell,you can even change the pages,words and title too if you want.

GerryB
July 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM

I'm running Ubuntu Feisty Fawn and I have Pacific Ocean waves lapping the cliffs of California on mine.

RomeReactor
July 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM
The Human theme makes Ubuntu stand out in a sea of blue desktop environments (not just windows and mac; there are plenty of Linux distributions leaning toward the cool side of the spectrum). I personally like it, though not as much as the "Legacy" theme (is that around anymore?), and if you change your background to something nature-related (say, like dark green leafs with water drops) you'll see that the new Human theme really is beautiful. Just my opinion, though.

i quite liked the brown. i much preferred it to orange.

*sigh* those were the days...

hidey
July 14th, 2007, 11:44 AM
The only thing I really didn't like were the default icons...the backround I didn't even get a good look at, I changed it so fast. :) The only thing I've kept to (I guess) kinda remind me that it's Buntu is the orange color you get when you click on icons and drag the mouse.

SunnyRabbiera
July 14th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Yeh the brown theme does throw people off, as yes most default themes are more of a calming blue theme... I personally dont have an issue with a blue theme but some people do.
But I do like the orange theme though

Rui Pais
July 14th, 2007, 12:09 PM

You seems to assume that your taste is an absolute value and an unique option for every single human bean ...

wersdaluv
July 14th, 2007, 12:30 PM
http://psychology.about.com/od/sensationandperception/a/color_brown.htm

http://www.glidden.com/colors/brownpsychology.jsp

rye_
July 14th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Perhaps I'm alone but I really like it.
I tend to find it relaxing, muted and understated.

Also, were the previous comparisons to canine excrement absolutely necessary? perhaps for those who've never seen the colour brown?

Ryan

insane_alien
July 14th, 2007, 12:38 PM
i like the default colour scheme. i have it on my desktop 95-98% of the time. the rest of the time its a trippy multicoloured rainbow beryl'd thing that i use to impress people. most of the time though, i prefer subtle.

also, if your excrement is the exact colour of ubuntu, i'd go see a doctor. you may have liver and kidney problems. alternatively it could just be a crappy diet. or even an infection.

AlexenderReez
July 14th, 2007, 12:41 PM
i don't really care about default color...because even it comes with any better color..at the end,i will change the theme...change the color ...so what is make difference whether default color is great or not...we have a lot of theme and icons right...this stupid argument happen for many times... i don't know why people keep pointing this stupid argument ...like somebody said before..if you don't like it,create your own distro...can you imagine that if Mark see your words said that brown like ****..what will he feel...we suppose appreciate what we have now..especially as it is free....can you try to learn to appreciate?

Paul820
July 14th, 2007, 12:54 PM
My god, what a childish remark.Have you not got more in life to worry about apart from someones operating system being brown. Geez.

mrgnash
July 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Moved to cafe as this is not a support question.

Personally :

1. I like the change of color. Blue is soooo overdone.

Check you menu you can change the theme ;)
Google or search the forums for additional themes.
http://www.gnome-look.org/

Exactly.

What a ludicrous attitude anyway. Brown is the colour of the earth, coffee, chocolate, skin, and lots of other wonderful things; I really love the default theme, even though I usually alter it or change it completely.

Hershey
July 14th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Probably one of the following reasons:

0. They have a deal with UPS to provide all of their desktops.
1. They drive 80s Buicks and love the fake wood.
2. They love 70s cars. Brown was the default back then, like how silver is today.
3. They don't get outside much, so they're not familiar with how green grass hides the brown earth.
4. They think a brown murky river > a clear river.
5. They think the color of the ocean at a NJ beach > the color of the ocean in the Caribbean.
6. They plan on using brown recluse spiders to take over the world.
7. They believe female mud wrestling it better than female oil wrestling.
8. Coffee == Good, and they use a lot of cream so it looks brown.
9. They think Quake was the umber game, so they went with that palette.

On a more serious note, the first time I started Ubuntu I thought, "What can brown do for you?" Guess that UPS ad campaign worked pretty good.

Afoot
July 14th, 2007, 02:04 PM
What on EARTH goes on in Canonicals heads??? I mean BROWN??? That is the color of SH*T!!!k.
Well, I guess you see what you want to see.

slimdog360
July 14th, 2007, 02:59 PM
hehehe

Spaceman3750
July 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I think of it as more orangy... But yeah, if your s*** looks like Ubuntu's theme, go see a doctor. Now.

PartisanEntity
July 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I like it, and it is so easy to change that it is really not an issue at all :)

M$LOL
July 14th, 2007, 04:48 PM
WTH are you getting so worked up about? If you don't like it, just get a new theme or install KDE or something, we're not forcing you to use it, don't take out your disliking of brown on us.

herbster
July 14th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Mine is completely dark grey and orange. What the hell does "deep down" mean? If you change your theme, it's now the new color[s] of your new theme. Is there some part of that you don't understand?

As for the anti-brownism in your post, my peoples don't take kindly to that! ;) :D

macogw
July 14th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I put Warty's background as the background on the MacBook at work to make it feel more like home. My boss loves it. She says it looks delicious and makes her want to get a spoon and eat it, because it reminds her of chocolate mousse.

My desktop is all black. I have a black Emerald theme, black GTK theme, a black rose background, and set Firefox userstyle.css to have black background and grey text.

Griff
July 15th, 2007, 04:58 AM
I would just like to say I completely dislike any blue theme. Windows has used the blue theme for 10+ years and I'm sick of it. I even have to change my cell phone themes because they always come blue. Blue is boring. I like the earthly theme ubuntu uses just fine.

-Griff

freebird54
July 15th, 2007, 05:17 AM
It is a lot longer than 10 years!

There is actually good sense behind the original adoption of the 'blue' themes in Windows (and elsewhere). There was a very expensive research project that determined not only that blue was optimum for a greater number of people (in terms of clarity without eyestrain), but that a certain SHADE of blue was best. In the early days of colour, even such programs as WP (yes, on DOS) were quick to default to blue (w/white text) - and Amiga came with a blue theme originally as well - based on the same research.

However - that doesn't mean that it is the ONLY theme that works well - especially as people age, the colour values that are optimum can change as well. You may nave noticed how common black themes are amoung the younger users of computer systems - to the point that they are nearly unusable for us old farts!

Long live the 'brown' (or the gold, or the orange) as a reasonable alternative!!

Another very classy looking theme set would include a wine colour, along with some silver and perhaps some tan and/or deep blue. Experiment people - that is the point!

southernman
July 15th, 2007, 06:48 AM
It's probably time to clean that up! :p

lol

RAV TUX
July 15th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I Love the Ubuntu Brown!

I lot of good things are brown:

1. Chocolate
2. Blue Diamond Natural Almond Breeze Smooth and Creamy Chocolate non-dairy Beverage
3. Amber
4. Mahogany
5. Brown Bunnies
6. Brown puppies
7. Brown kitties
8. Brown Bears
9. Ubuntu
10. Earth
11. Humans

Aurora Borealis
July 15th, 2007, 07:27 AM
You know, I'm not fond of brown either. It reminds me of 70s decor and the incredibly tacky station wagons. Orange I like in specific contexts and shades. But whoever designed the Dawn of Ubuntu Desktop deserves an award-that is absolutely gorgeous. It's the desktop I'm using, and I want a picture of it on my wall. I think it's absolutely beautiful. While I normally don't like orange, when it's with green, I do like it very much. What you can't see very well in the thumbnail is that the specs of light in the sunrise are the ubuntu logo.

http://img40.picoodle.com/img/img40/9/7/15/t_Screenshotm_f7d5bd7.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?srv=img40&img=/9/7/15/f_Screenshotm_f7d5bd7.png)

kevinlyfellow
July 15th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I Love the Ubuntu Brown!

1. Chocolate
2. Blue Diamond Natural Almond Breeze Smooth and Creamy Chocolate non-dairy Beverage
3. Amber
4. Mahogany
5. Brown Bunnies
6. Brown puppies
7. Brown kitties
8. Brown Bears
9. Ubuntu
10. Earth
11. Humans

Don't forget
1) Tree Trunks
2) Baseball gloves
3) Bread
4) Mud (oh c'mon, don't you have fond memories of playing in the mud as a kid?)
5) Beautiful Brown Eyed Girls

RAV TUX
July 15th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Don't forget
1) Tree Trunks
2) Baseball gloves
3) Bread

ahhh yes!...Beautiful Brown eyed Girls!

walkerk
July 15th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I like the brown...

wersdaluv
July 15th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Wow.. It seems that many eople love to reply to this thread

mthakur2006
July 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM
again, brown is lovely. see attachment.

RomeReactor
July 15th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Don't forget
1) Tree Trunks
2) Baseball gloves
3) Bread

Somehow that reminds me of something (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2jNFfbz4M)...

freebird54
July 15th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Around here brown is the colour of money (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_hundred-dollar_bill) :) ($100 's)
And another way that Brown is Beautiful!

edin9
November 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM
It's even browner now :3

TheNessus
November 6th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I Love the Ubuntu Brown!

1. Chocolate
3. Amber
4. Mahogany
5. Brown Bunnies
6. Brown puppies
7. Brown kitties
8. Brown Bears
9. Ubuntu
10. Earth
11. Humans
12: poo

overdrank
November 6th, 2009, 11:44 PM