PDA

View Full Version : how would I make a custom power switch to turn my PC on?

billdotson
July 14th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Ok, so what I want to do is take a switch like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2360&&source=14&doy=3m4
and a switch cover like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=37319&ma=Eltham%20-%20Missile%20Style%20Toggle%20Switch%20Cover
and make it so the switch turns my PC on and off.

How would I go about doing this? I guess what I am thinking is the wire that goes into the power slot on the motherboard (and then goes to the case's power button) I would have to cut the wire (obviously not the part going to the motherboard) and splice the wire/s with the wires going to the switch.

Although, for some (probably good) reason I think it may be a bit more complicated than that.

Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

juice_fi
July 14th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Ok, so what I want to do is take a switch like this

Well, technically all switches are simple devices where a small piece of metal moves when the button is switched on and off, the only things you must take care of is a) the type of the switch (push/slide, opening/closing connectors) b) how to fit it in the case (mechanically) and c) how much power the switch can take (without breaking through).

Any switch can stand the voltage of the motherboard and I assume you have a clear plan how to fit the switch into the case. Simply take the old switch off and replace it with the new one (take the wires from the pins of the old switch and solder then onto the pins of the new switch, I suppose).

Electronics is a great hobby :)

HermanAB
July 14th, 2007, 06:17 AM
A wall switch that turns on a room light has to handle the actual current going through the lamp - a PC power switch doesn't do that. A PC power switch is a kind of a 'soft' switch. It enables a circuit in the PSU that turns the whole thing on/off. Therefore, the amount of power that the power switch has to handle is very tiny. So pretty much any switch can be used.

In most systems today, the power switch is a momentary push button. Timing circuits in the PSU or mother board determines it's action. A brief push can cause an ordered shutdown, while a continued push can cause the PSU to turn off instantly. So you can use one of those enormous 6 inch red emergency buttons, or an invisible proximity switch that senses your finger capacitance to ground, or anything in between.

Cheers,

Herman

slimdog360
July 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM
What you will need:
-hammer
-glue
-duct tape
-cable ties
-chainsaw
-switch of your choosing

Procedure:
-smash computer into 100000 pieces
-glue in switch
-tape and cable tie it all together

mthakur2006
July 14th, 2007, 11:11 AM
What you will need:
-hammer
-glue
-duct tape
-cable ties
-chainsaw
-switch of your choosing

Procedure:
-smash computer into 100000 pieces
-glue in switch
-tape and cable tie it all together

i don't know what the actual procedure is, but for some obscure reason i think that the process stated above is a just that little bit over the top and may not work. :lolflag: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Motoxrdude
July 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
nO No no. You don't use a toggle switch to turn on you computer. There are two prongs on your motherboard that when shorted, turns your computer on or off. A constant connection will blow something up, that or nothing at all.
You need something more like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062508&cp=&sr=1&origkw=switches&kw=switches&parentPage=search
If you already have another powerswitch hooked up to your computer you can find what two prongs it connects to, you can use a preexisting jumper and solder a connection to the switch and use that.

bastiegast
July 14th, 2007, 11:47 AM
nO No no. You don't use a toggle switch to turn on you computer. There are two prongs on your motherboard that when shorted, turns your computer on or off. A constant connection will blow something up, that or nothing at all.
You need something more like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062508&cp=&sr=1&origkw=switches&kw=switches&parentPage=search
If you already have another powerswitch hooked up to your computer you can find what two prongs it connects to, you can use a preexisting jumper and solder a connection to the switch and use that.

Indeed the only thing modern computers need to power on is a short connection between two pins on the motherboard, a constant connection won't blow anything up though :p just like you wont blow up your mobo when you keep the power button pressed. I guess you could use the togle switch for switching on your power supply

billdotson
July 15th, 2007, 06:51 AM
hmm.. well I know that PC power switches are momentary and they only send a signal of sorts to the PSU, but I would really like the big red covered missile switch. I would suppose there could be away to fix it up so that when I flipped the switch it would send momentary power like a standard momentary switch would. So, really I guess there would be a momentary switch that is activated when I flip the switch. I do not know how I would go about it though...

The idea of using a missile-like switch like that to turn on my PC just sounds fun, and it would really defeat the purpose of a custom power switch to just get a momentary switch and hook it up.
I already have one of those with my case. Just the feel of turning the PC on with that missile switch would be awesome. So either I could think of some way so that when the switch is flipped it gives momentary power like a standard power switch or I could do the less fun alternative and simply flip the switch up and then back.. but how much fun would that be?!

Also, I do not know exactly where I would put the switch.. but I am thinking that getting it inside the case would be very difficult and I guess I might just have the switch sitting on my computer desk somewhere.

Thanks.

Simplemind169
February 5th, 2009, 10:20 PM
The best way is to get a momentary flip switch to use with the missle casing it acts as the push button but looks like a flip switch...