PDA

View Full Version : The fall of Linux, the rise of GNU?

gumpish
July 14th, 2007, 01:09 AM
With Linus evidently dead set against GPLv3, what will become of Linux?

If all of the kernel hackers who contributed to the development of Linux because they believe in free software start working on a different kernel, will Ubuntu eventually follow Debian to a GPLv3 kernel? (GNU/Hurd, GNU/?)

smartboyathome
July 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Good question, I wonder that myself.

Hex_Mandos
July 14th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Solaris?

Ultra Magnus
July 14th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I think the problem is that allot of the kernel hackers are with Linus on this - I hope this does all get sorted out but can you imagine torvalds and stallman compromising?! I think this kind of highlights the problem with the BDFL model, what do you do when he starts going old and senile and starts talking about 'tivoisation' and 'evil megacorporations'? - start a coup or something. - Hurd has been in developement for about 20 years and still isn't ready for use! - I suspect with ian murdoch in the opensolaris project, if linux fell, and open solaris provided an alternative they might go for that, although can you imagine ibm paying programmers to work for Sun? - Another possibility is that the GPL v2 versions of GNU tools might be forked and developed, keeping them licenced under the version 2 of the licence.

I don't think that many people do subscribe to the black and white morallity of the GNU project, just those that are more vocal - open source is inspiring in many ways - Linux is probably amongst the largest collaborative projects in human history! - Its a good transparent way of doing things - and totally levels the playing field for new comers to the industry - but lets face it propriatory software will always excist, the GPL v3 is only likely to scare off people from using free software which I'm sure is the opposite of what RMS intended but then again he is well known for his resentment of LT so who knows.

Hex_Mandos
July 14th, 2007, 01:36 AM
GPLV3 isn't as extreme as some make it to be. I'm betting that Linus will eventually move the kernel to the new license, probably after Solaris does the same.

starcraft.man
July 14th, 2007, 01:44 AM
GPLV3 isn't as extreme as some make it to be. I'm betting that Linus will eventually move the kernel to the new license, probably after Solaris does the same.

+1

Too much rhetoric, too little discussion.

Eventually things shall die down and everyone will come up with a nice solution. Linux certainly isn't ever gonna die, far too much of the world relies on the kernel. Anyway, what do I know, I'm just a volunteer on the forums :p.

bread eyes
July 14th, 2007, 01:48 AM

He said he would if Solaris does.

hanzomon4
July 14th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I doubt linux is going any where but I do see the oss kernel world growing beyond linux. I'm curious about a mature desktop opensolaris based distro, Hurd would be nice but I doubt it will ever see the light of day.

Zzl1xndd
July 14th, 2007, 03:13 AM
If Solaris does make the move we wont have much of an option but to move or we will fade as they will be able to take from us but we wont be able to take from them. Now what I would like to see is somethings like the "Tivoization" clause challenged in a court. As Many others I back Linus on that side of it we have no right to tell Tivo what can run on their hardware as long as they return the altered code to us.

IYY
July 14th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I think that people will start using Solaris more, and maybe eventually Linux will become GPL3 as well. I think that Linus underestimates just how important the GNU was to the creation of this OS: not even the coreutils (which are important), but the GPL license that made Linux popular and was the cause of its rapid development. Had Linux been originally released under a proprietary license, or even BSD, I doubt it would be where it is today.

bread eyes
July 14th, 2007, 03:33 AM
I think that people will start using Solaris more, and maybe eventually Linux will become GPL3 as well. I think that Linus underestimates just how important the GNU was to the creation of this OS: not even the coreutils (which are important), but the GPL license that made Linux popular and was the cause of its rapid development. Had Linux been originally released under a proprietary license, or even BSD, I doubt it would be where it is today.

I don't think he ever doubted that but what ever...

Hex_Mandos
July 14th, 2007, 06:04 AM
If Solaris does make the move we wont have much of an option but to move or we will fade as they will be able to take from us but we wont be able to take from them. Now what I would like to see is somethings like the "Tivoization" clause challenged in a court. As Many others I back Linus on that side of it we have no right to tell Tivo what can run on their hardware as long as they return the altered code to us.

No, GPL3 and GPL2 are incompatible. A GPL3 Solaris version can take as much from Linux as the current Sun-licensed Solaris.

icecruncher
July 14th, 2007, 06:20 AM
hey, "opensolaris" is comming out in spring next year. will be interesting to see what happens...

hanzomon4
July 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Yeah people may bitch and moan about the GPL and the FSF but they have fostered an environment that has allowed free software to truly become a force in the tech world.

HotShotDJ
July 14th, 2007, 08:42 AM
There is no reason that the Linux kernel using GPLv2 cannot coexist with other software using GPLv3. Linus cannot just wave a wand and relicense the kernel. There are thousands of contributors, each of whom hold the copyrights for whatever code they wrote. If the kernel stays with GPLv2, it is no big deal and no reason to replace it with something else.

mybunche
July 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Maybe I'm wrong on this but isn't Solaris a two tier system, there's Solaris proper and there's OpenSolaris? If that's the case now, will it be the same in the future or will Sun totally open up Solaris? I don't think Linux will fall when Solaris is like this.