PDA

View Full Version : Anouncement for Everyone Helping in Beginners Forum

starcraft.man
July 13th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Hey there everyone. I wanted to draw your attention to a new guide (well first and only one so far) I made. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500020) It is now stickied and locked in the Beginner forum.

Made it for a lot of reasons, mostly I was tired of handing people off to other guides that were only partially informative on how to install things. Don't get me wrong, all the guides I link to are quality and explain their sections well but they usually only covered a small section of the larger picture of installation in Ubuntu (i.e. Linux Command only covers CLI, Ubuntu guide only covers CLI installer commands to copy paste, etc...). Therefore I wrote a complete and central guide to installing things in Ubuntu, it is aimed at everyone in the hopes of getting them to understand the entire system and how it works. I started with the basic concepts, then moved on to basic and advanced CLI management, followed by the main GUI equivalents. Lastly, I covered a few extra topics and linked off to other guides for more information.

That's about it, just wanted to make you (mostly the volunteers) all aware. So when your helping new folk, and they don't understand how to install things/get started feel free to link them to that. I think it's a good investment of 30 minutes (or so, I read faster) on their part to understand the new OS their using.

Oh and I am like I mentioned in the guide working on a Wiki version probably starting tomorrow. If you see any errors or problems in the guide feel free to PM me and I'll get it edited for the Wiki version at least.

starcraft.man
July 13th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Man I'm starved, all that work on the guide has made me really hungry. Cya after lunch.

loserboy
July 13th, 2007, 05:14 PM
hey great job, i didn't read the whole thing, but so far so good. ya know you might just try to get it added to ubuntuguide.org, that's where I send alot of people and I think the site is in need of something like this

CautionaryX
July 13th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Wow, great job! I didn't read all of it but its got screenshots and everything! :D

Atomic Dog
July 13th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Looks really good. I see you suggest installing nano, I have never used it, but it looks easier to use than vi! I guess I should check it out.

FuturePilot
July 13th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Wow! Awesome guide! Very detailed.

mrgnash
July 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Nice work. It goes into the appropriate amount of depth, without risk of boggling the beginner mind ;)

starcraft.man
July 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Looks really good. I see you suggest installing nano, I have never used it, but it looks easier to use than vi! I guess I should check it out.
No need to isntall, Nano has been standard in Ubuntu for a while at least. I know from my use it's at least in all versions since Dapper, probably earlier.

Nice work. It goes into the appropriate amount of depth, without risk of boggling the beginner mind ;)
Yup, that was my aim. Glad ya like it :).

hey great job, i didn't read the whole thing, but so far so good. ya know you might just try to get it added to ubuntuguide.org, that's where I send alot of people and I think the site is in need of something like this
Not sure if they'd want to add it directly, it is a monster guide and their's is already super long... maybe a link to the Wiki version once I get that up and running or in the interim a link to the one I made for the forum.

DC@DR
July 13th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Beginners need people like you, starcraft.man! I will point my friends, who want to switch over to Ubuntu Linux, to your guide, and I'm sure they'll be grateful. You're the man! :-)

starcraft.man
July 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Beginners need people like you, starcraft.man! I will point my friends, who want to switch over to Ubuntu Linux, to your guide, and I'm sure they'll be grateful.
Thank you, and please do spread the word. I'd love to see more people moving to Ubuntu.

You're the man! :-)
Well of course, it's in my name after all :p.

smoker
July 13th, 2007, 07:05 PM
hi, fantastic guide, starcraft.man, and a lot of just what is needed for beginners. i will certainly be advising folk to read it through.

great job, glad you took the time :-)

starcraft.man
July 13th, 2007, 07:50 PM
hi, fantastic guide, starcraft.man, and a lot of just what is needed for beginners. i will certainly be advising folk to read it through.

great job, glad you took the time :-)

LOL! Ya, it took a lot of time. The most time consuming bit wasn't actually writing it up but getting the pics and making the forum formatting work... I hope Wiki syntax is easy to translate it to.