PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to join my project?

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Hi guys , I am starting a new OS based on ubuntu and am looking for people to join me!

The OS will have kernel 2.6.22 , kde 3.5.7 , out of the box multimedia support and compiz-fusion for graphics(It is a beta but so far i had no problems with it). Hopefully , with the help of the design team, We can make a beautiful user interface as well.
I am building this OS because Kubuntu will not be adopting the upcoming Kde 4.0 for another year!(We will as soon as the stable version comes out in October). i am also positive that this OS will be able to compete with major Os's like PclinuxOS in the user-friendliness field
There will be certain teams in kix OS (This is the name of the Operating system), one to manage the website and one to design for the OS . We are seeking people to help us in this field. below , I will explain the reponsobilites of each team.
-----
Website development team
Currently , there are 2 people who offered to be in this team , baci and Global Bass Alliance. The site will be managed through the Joomla cms and we will use an open source joomla template from rocket theme. Your jobs will be to edit the template to match our default colors(This will be decided by the design team) and to do some writing on the site(I shall help if you guys get really tired of writing). The project leader has not been decided and i don't think it is necessary for this team.

Design team
The design team will be in charge of creating graphic designs for the Operating systems. For now , the jobs are to edit a kdm theme , making it look cooler and making it match our default colors, to edit a splash screen, to make a background , and to make a usplash theme . one more job would be to pick the default colors that the OS will have. The project leader will be Roxas, as he has won a large quantity of competitions in the graphic design field , and his designs are simply amazing! currently , I am asking Chad , a person reffed to me by baci ! I am hoping to have about 5 gfx designers.

I hope to receive money by sponsors and donations , as well as adsence . In the linux field , people donate very heavily to good projects Smile. The money will be divided between everyone , i will show everyone my paypal screenshot , to tell them how much i have in there and then i shall send all of you guys your part of the money.I am not sure how to divide the adsence but if you guys have any ideas on that , i would be glad to incorporate it .The domain is also in the process of being bought.

If you are interested , please tell me in this post and give me your email(I would prefer that you also have an msn account , or any other such as AIM,yahoo and more.

------P.S I hope this does not violate ubuntu rules. i think this can be considered advertising and I am nto sure if the rules permit that . I have seen other people advertise though.

%hMa@?b<C
July 13th, 2007, 03:22 PM
i may help with graphics
jeff<<dot>>crowell[at]gmail<<dot>>crowell
I can show you some of my works if you are interested.

ThinkBuntu
July 13th, 2007, 03:22 PM
This is a frivolous project. What would be neat is an Arch ISO that included a full desktop experience a la KDE, GNOME, or Xfce. That way, people could use Arch, which is a really great OS base, without ever having to connect to the internet. The potential of Arch as a fast, user-friendly distro really has yet to be realized, and would be very simple to reach. I've been contemplating this, but it's really not my area of expertise, so I'll stick with working on my CSS forum.

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Most of the developement is already done so i can't change architectures very fast now.Although , upon future versions , i will take this an arch base into consideration. jeff , I have added you to MSN , I am nto sure if you have it but i just did anyways. nevertheless , I shall email you as well

ThinkBuntu
July 13th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Most of the developement is already done so i can't change architectures very fast now.Although , upon future versions , i will take this an arch base into consideration. jeff , I have added you to MSN , I am nto sure if you have it but i just did anyways. nevertheless , I shall email you as well
Oh, I thought you said you were starting it. I didn't know that you'd already done quite a bit of work on it.

v8YKxgHe
July 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I am building this OS because Kubuntu will not be adopting the upcoming Kde 4.0 for another year!

Gutsy Gibbon will have KDE4 packages in the Repo's and AFAIK - 8.04 will ship with KDE4 default

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Sorry for the confusion , your idea is very itnersting and i might make a seperate version if i get a good kick-start on this project.AlexC,Kubuntu will have the repo's but you have to upgrade. Kix will in no way be the same as Kubuntu . In my opinion , it will be more user-friendly. Also , it will have different default programs , and a faster schedule to stay up-to date.

jgrabham
July 13th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Id love to help with a project, but dont have the knowlege, but if people can tell me what to do, I would be willing!

jgrabham <@> googlemail <dot> com

giraffesandmonkeysandelephantswillruletheworld <@> hotmail <dot> co <dot> uk

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 04:29 PM
That would be great! i think you can be excellent in the website developement field. You can write topics and as you learn more , hopefully you will progress further! I will add your on msn right now

Extreme Coder
July 13th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Gutsy Gibbon will have KDE4 packages in the Repo's and AFAIK - 8.04 will ship with KDE4 default
Gutsy Gibbon + 1 will not have KDE 4.

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Ok , so thats a plus for my project :P

phrostbyte
July 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM
What build utils are you using? Is this going to be built from source or using an existing Ubuntu install?

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 04:59 PM
This is going to be built from an existing ubuntu install .i am still looking for people to join my project! We really need graphic designers

Turboaaa2001
July 13th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I'm no programmer nor am I good at graphics design. I would like to be a "tester" and give feedback on what could be improved or changed to make it the friendliest OS for people with no Linux knowledge.

My credentials?

I'm a PC Technician
I've studied IT Networking and Network Security (I'm a little rusty)
I use Ubuntu everyday
I know what people want from an OS

Just give me a shout. I'm always connected and I check my e-mail frequently. I will be glad to give you feedback on the project as it develops.

EDIT:

I have also taken Unix Admin classes.

aysiu
July 13th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Is this going to be different from Linux Mint?

Acglaphotis
July 13th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I really wanna help with this, but im by no means a coder, nor a graphics designer but i know i can help test it. I have lots of free time and a hard drive large enough. Add my email on msn messenger:

acglaphotis (at) gmail (dot) com

I really like the ideals of the os.

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM
this will indeed be different from Linux mint. I would first off start to say that the linux mint kde edition is turning into a community edition . To me this means that it will be slow. Kix will have much faster releases then Linux mint or ubuntu.i also don't like the interface that mint has so this in my opinion will look better.of course there will be different programs. Acglaphotis and Turboaaa2001, I shall give you guys a shout as soon as Kix pre-beta comes out. I hope for this to be in about the 25th.(If the graphic designers cooperate of course) I am still in dire need of designers. . Please tell me if you are interested

ThinkBuntu
July 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I really wanna help with this, but im by no means a coder, nor a graphics designer but i know i can help test it. I have lots of free time and a hard drive large enough. Add my email on msn messenger:

acglaphotis (at) gmail (dot) com

I really like the ideals of the os.
You say that as if the project will need coders. I doubt it. It's just a remaster of Kubuntu with some alpha/beta/svn packages included.

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 06:15 PM
well i woudlnt say that.It has a different kernel , different kde , different user-interface , and i hope a different installer.

ThinkBuntu
July 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM
well i woudlnt say that.It has a different kernel , different kde , different user-interface , and i hope a different installer.
Those are all packaging issues and are just part of remastering the ISO. Unless you plan on tweaking and rebuilding these features, that is...

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 06:22 PM
i guess you can look at it that way but most distros are like that . On a curous note , does ubuntu need developers? They just got packages together and made the interface to some degree user-friendly

Nekiruhs
July 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I'd love to help on the web design side of things. I know some moderate HTML and javascript. Just tell me what to do!

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 06:39 PM
that would be great! Currently , i am not sure how to incorporate that role since we are using Joomla and a phpbb forum. Do you have any ideas on how you can use your knowledge to help us out?

Nekiruhs
July 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM
that would be great! Currently , i am not sure how to incorporate that role since we are using Joomla and a phpbb forum. Do you have any ideas on how you can use your knowledge to help us out?
I can always be useful as a writer. That'd be good too.

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Thats great! do you have an email or an msn messenger ID?(it can be msn or any other instant messaging software). On the programming side of things , to counter thinkbuntu's comment on not needing developers , In later versions , I hope to have a PclinuxOS like control panel in Kix

Nekiruhs
July 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Thats great! do you have an email or an msn messenger ID?(it can be msn or any other instant messaging software). On the programming side of things , to counter thinkbuntu's comment on not needing developers , In later versions , I hope to have a PclinuxOS like control panel in Kix
Yes, I have many instant messenger accounts.
AIM: Tux1ncarnat3
Yahoo: TuxIncarnate
MSN: TuxIncarnate
Jabber/Google Talk/Email: mvrck5 <AT> gmail <DOT> com

I also have a basic understanding of Python and could learn PyQT for programming in QT.

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 06:57 PM
man you really are a help! I will add you as soon as possible , i have to make an AIm id since i forgot my old one :P

ThinkBuntu
July 13th, 2007, 07:00 PM
i guess you can look at it that way but most distros are like that . On a curous note , does ubuntu need developers? They just got packages together and made the interface to some degree user-friendly
Ubuntu doesn't develop or package nearly on the scale of Debian (to the best of my knowledge) but I believe that there are many developers working on various projects, especially GNOME. And Ubuntu does have the spare app or two developed in-house, like Codec Buddy and some boot process. Also, Ubuntu handles all of its own support and bugs.

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Ok . Then i can safely say that my project will be at the same level of developerness as ubuntu. I have added you Nekiruhs

----I am now only looking for graphic designers in general. Please help us out!

Nekiruhs
July 13th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Ok . Then i can safely say that my project will be at the same level of developerness as ubuntu. I have added you Nekiruhs

----I am now only looking for graphic designers in general. Please help us out!
Thanks, glad to be of help!:guitar:

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 09:08 PM
no problem! I think since you know python you will be a very important role in creating the most user-friendly desktop , Kix OS. I think making a control center like pclinuxOS' isnt hard. There are already existing programs that do everyhting the pclinuxOS control center can do , we just link them together in a program and bam :P

bread eyes
July 13th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I'll help. When can I DL this?

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I hope for a beta to come out in about july 25 , if the graphic designers are up to it. What can you help in?

ThinkBuntu
July 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I hope for a beta to come out in about july 25 , if the graphic designers are up to it. What can you help in?
You're going to go from start-up to beta in under two weeks? That's crazy.

bread eyes
July 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM

What's needed?

bread eyes
July 13th, 2007, 10:25 PM
You're going to go from start-up to beta in under two weeks? That's crazy.

He's not making it from scratch and even if he was it definitely wouldn't be crazy.

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I am already done all the developing and everything. I just need the graphics and i will incorporate it . bread eyes , we need graphic designers mostly right now. Also , for a future release , we are in need of programmers to create a control center similar to pclinuxOS. Also on a side note , it would be pretty crazy if i made an OS from scratch or a based OS in 2 weeks :P

ThinkBuntu
July 13th, 2007, 10:33 PM
What did you already develop? It seems that all the new features (control panel, etc.) are just proposals.

bread eyes
July 13th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I am already done all the developing and everything. I just need the graphics and i will incorporate it . bread eyes , we need graphic designers mostly right now. Also , for a future release , we are in need of programmers to create a control center similar to pclinuxOS.

I guess I'll work on the control center but I'll need to look at pclinuxOS first. I should use Qt 4.3 right?

Also on a side note , it would be pretty crazy if i made an OS from scratch or a based OS in 2 weeks :P

I disagree but what ever.

ThinkBuntu
July 13th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Haha man, I'm just playin. You're probably thinking "damn, just let me make my free software in peace!" Good luck with the project.

Turboaaa2001
July 13th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Hey ThinkBuntu! This is a recruting thread, not a discussion on if it's a worth while project.

You are not saying anything constructive here and are just getting in the way of any progress that could be. Either join or not, and if you need to scrutinize the project then create a thread to do so.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what are you doing if your not going to join? If you are thinking about it and want to see if it's worth while e-mail the development team with all your questions and stop posting here.

%hMa@?b<C
July 13th, 2007, 11:16 PM
whoops, I wrote my email wrong... :( its @gmail.com jeff <dot> crowell <at> gmail <dot> com
sorry :)

stepan2
July 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Ya i figured that :P Thank you for defending the project Turboaaa2001, Also , you can use Qt but you will have to teach Nekiruhs as well bread eyes. Jeff , can the gmail account be used on msn? and bread eyes , do you have any instant messaging client?
--Appart from this we are still looking for designers.!

bread eyes
July 13th, 2007, 11:56 PM
bread eyes , do you have any instant messaging client?

No, Which one would you prefer?

stepan2
July 14th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I would prefer MSN.

%hMa@?b<C
July 14th, 2007, 12:22 AM
stepan2, what is your msn account?

Nekiruhs
July 14th, 2007, 01:42 AM
We need to compile a contact list for this project, or this is going to be horrid.

stepan2
July 14th, 2007, 01:53 AM
there is already one at a secret location(it is a temporary forum) my email is stepan_par@msn.com

Stew2
July 14th, 2007, 03:39 AM
I wish you guys all the best on this. If its anything like PCLinuxOS for simplicity and usability I think it will be fantastic. Good luck! :)

stepan2
July 14th, 2007, 03:43 AM
thanks stew. one the second release9due mid-late july), we will have pclinuxOS like control panel. We are also contemplating over having the delta based installing like debian , where you dont just download a new deb file ,remove the old program and reinstall it to upgrade(apt-get does this while upgrade) , rather you simply get a file that will only update the bits of the software that is changed , saving b/w for us and making it faster for you!. The second one is being contempalted upon.

Nekiruhs
July 14th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I used what little artistic talent I have to make an avatar/potential logo. Feel free to use it, abuse it, or call me a crappy artist who shouldn't bother!

stepan2
July 14th, 2007, 04:16 AM
thank you for contributing nekiruhs! We will see what the gfx designers come up with , but this does look pretty awesome :D

smartboyathome
July 14th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I used what little artistic talent I have to make an avatar/potential logo. Feel free to use it, abuse it, or call me a crappy artist who shouldn't bother!

I am not calling myself a good artist (IMHO, I am far from it), but I could always try (I hope you don't mind, but I use deKorator, so I will be able to generate pixelmaps, and not complete themes). Anyway, I could always try, what color scheme would you like?

Nekiruhs
July 14th, 2007, 04:38 AM
I am not calling myself a good artist (IMHO, I am far from it), but I could always try (I hope you don't mind, but I use deKorator, so I will be able to generate pixelmaps, and not complete themes). Anyway, I could always try, what color scheme would you like?
Were going for blue,
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/hsymbols/sitesskinpreview/skinpreviewdb.gif
Those colors.

smartboyathome
July 14th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Ok, I will see what I can do.

smartboyathome
July 14th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Were going for blue,

Those colors.

I tried to do something similar to that, and this is what I came up with (it is only a quick mockup, and not the real thing). Please tell me what you would like to change in the color scheme.

stepan2
July 14th, 2007, 01:32 PM
we would be glad to have you on the team.could u show the color scheme?Also , i think that blue template almost represents everything. There is no light blue in it :P

Nekiruhs
July 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I'm typing this from our competition Stepan. And I must say, we picked ourselves a challenge here. PCLOS is smooth, no lie. I'll install it and use it as a standard for the Control Panel.

stepan2
July 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM
ya it is but we can reach it . i have tried it too :P everything up to kde looks awesome. then it goes downhill for them . Also , i don't see anything that they have that is very amazing except the control panel.

smartboyathome
July 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I am sorry, I forgot to attach the template to the last post. Here it is now.

Nekiruhs
July 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Were on Launchpad! (https://launchpad.net/kixos) Go head on over and add info, questions, comments, etc.

Turboaaa2001
July 14th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I almost forgot, my e-mail is TurboAAA@gmail.com . I do have a .net passport username that I will try to remember and I will install the nessenger so I can keep in the loop.

BTW do you know a guy by the internet handel of Tyant? He has his own Halo Mod / PC help forum. I'm trying to get in touch with hime since he is extremely good at graphics design. The whole site is called Espylacopa but the forum is called Earth City. The site he is always designing is

http://www.earthcity.us/

Like I said his handle is The Tyrant (I know his real name but I can't release it) I will try to get-up with him but if you like what you see try and get-up with him. Hes a smart guy and knows his stuff.:guitar:

Nekiruhs
July 14th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Glad to have you on the team. Do you use google talk/jabber/XMPP? I added your GMail address to my google talk, if you get the chance can you authorize the request?

lzfy
July 15th, 2007, 12:12 AM
This is my work that I post at kde-look.org. LINK (http://www.kde-look.org/usermanager/search.php?username=lzfy&action=contents)

I can help with the graphics if you want my help.
email is 84.f.yilmaz at gmail dot com
msn: laz at lzfy dot nl

Turboaaa2001
July 15th, 2007, 12:15 AM
NP, I'm at work right now so when I get home I will get the appropriate messengers online. BTW, what is the universal messenger for Linux, and what is the messenger that will be used by the project? I know of one that my wife uses for Windows (havn't converted her yet). I just never really used them a lot.

Thanks....

Nekiruhs
July 15th, 2007, 01:06 AM
NP, I'm at work right now so when I get home I will get the appropriate messengers online. BTW, what is the universal messenger for Linux, and what is the messenger that will be used by the project? I know of one that my wife uses for Windows (havn't converted her yet). I just never really used them a lot.

Thanks....
Anything really. I have a whole bunch thanks to pidgin. MSN is the main one, but both stepan and I use AIM.

stepan2
July 15th, 2007, 01:53 AM
ya msn is the preffered one. lzfy i would really like it if you joined kix. you and turboaaa can add me as stepan_par<at>msn<dot>com or on aim as stepanpar

Turboaaa2001
July 15th, 2007, 04:43 AM
I just set up my hotmail address (turboaaa2001 <at> hotmail <dot> com) and added the 2 of you using Gaim. If that doesn't work let me know.

smartboyathome
July 15th, 2007, 05:19 AM
I am sorry, I forgot to attach the template to the last post. Here it is now.

Please look at this post stephan2, I attached the mockup for a color scheme for Kix, to see if you would want to use it.

stepan2
July 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I tihnk you have a lot of promise but you need to improve. Why you improve would you considering haveing a writing job in kix?

smartboyathome
July 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I tihnk you have a lot of promise but you need to improve. Why you improve would you considering haveing a writing job in kix?

Was that to me? Just to let you know, that was a quick mockup of the color scheme (not the actual thing).

stepan2
July 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM
i was reffering to you. If it was a quick mockup then could you give me perhaps a previous one you did that was good?

smartboyathome
July 15th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Not off hand (just had to re-install Kubuntu after trying Compiz Fusion, which horrible results).

stepan2
July 15th, 2007, 05:00 PM
hmhm.I will dicuss the matter with the other developers and see.

smartboyathome
July 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I will understand if you I don't make it (I am still developing my skills).

lzfy
July 15th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Hi Stepan. I have a question about the project. Will this OS only differ in the looks and it's abibility of playing multimedia files or will you change more? For example Kubuntu doesn't remember the view options per folder while PCLinuxOS can, can you change this too? And also can you make Kix faster then Kubuntu?

stepan2
July 15th, 2007, 05:21 PM
In terms of difference between kubuntu , we will have a delta upgrade system by version 3. This means when you update our official packages , you won't need to download the entire deb of the new version , delete the old one , and install(this is what ubuntu does) and with kix you will simply download the difference from the new version to the old version. As stated before , we will also have a pclos-like control-panel by version 2. on saving the view options , i never knew that so i will talk to the dev team about it.
--- On another note , our versions are very fast. we roll out new ones every month or less.

lzfy
July 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Sounds very promising, thanks for the reply.

stepan2
July 15th, 2007, 06:54 PM
no problem. may i add you to my msn? as i really like your graphic abbility's

lzfy
July 15th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Sure, I would love to help : )

stepan2
July 15th, 2007, 11:25 PM
great i added you!

bread eyes
July 18th, 2007, 02:43 AM
My modem broke so I haven't been online for a while. Has anything happened in the control panel department?