PDA

View Full Version : Canonical Laptop computers

bonzodog
July 13th, 2007, 02:44 PM
It seems from a post in Mark Shuttleworth's blog here:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/131

that he is looking at building a laptop that uses open source hardware AND software for the new GoBuntu distros, so that the distros work completely (3D graphics and all!)without any problems, and not use anything proprietary.

What do people think?

%hMa@?b<C
July 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I would definitely get one when I go to college (in two years)

Sef
July 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM
It seems from a post in Mark Shuttleworth's blog here:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/131

that he is looking at building a laptop that uses open source hardware AND software for the new GoBuntu distros, so that the distros work completely (3D graphics and all!)without any problems, and not use anything proprietary.

What do people think?

Definately I would look at buying one when I could afford it.

Jucato
July 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I would love to have one. But:

1. I'm not really a hardware type of guy, so I'm entirely ignorant of what I'm missing with closed-source firmware.
2. I'm not a free software purist. I admit to using proprietary formats/codecs, so my system is anything but "pure". In short, I'm not so keen on having a "totally free" system. But hey, if it will further the cause of Free and Open Source Software, count me in!
3. Hopefully it's affordable. :)

ukripper
July 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM
if it cheapest of closed source laptops I won't mind going for it although I already have 2:)

Old Pink
July 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Willing to pay up to $300 for the lowest spec one. :)

zanazzi
July 13th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Agian if its priced competativly i would definatly consider one.

I dont have a laptop as yet but was thinking about getting an oldish 2nd hand one booted explicitly with ubuntu.

aysiu
July 13th, 2007, 04:24 PM
The title of his blog post indicates these will be high-end laptops.

I have no use for a high-end laptop. I'd definitely be interested in a budget open source laptop, though... once my old Dell laptop kicks the bucket.

DeadSuperHero
July 14th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Well, heck. I'd love to buy a Canonical laptop. It'd also be awesome to see one of these at Best Buy, that'd do wonders for the Linux community.