PDA

View Full Version : Do you Dual boot Linux/Windows (or osX)?

mangar
July 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM
How many people here you linux exclusively?

Dragonbite
July 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Currently I do not (exclusively Edubuntu on one machine, Windows 2000 on the other), but next week I am going to be getting a used Dell that comes with Windows XP so chances are that one will be dual-boot (Windows for my wife and Linux for me).

Now if I could get my hands on 1 computer for my wife (Windows), 1 computer for me (Linux) and 1 computer for the kids (anything) and 1 for a server (Linux) then they would be single-boot.

phrostbyte
July 12th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Currently I do not (exclusively Edubuntu on one machine, Windows 2000 on the other), but next week I am going to be getting a used Dell that comes with Windows XP so chances are that one will be dual-boot (Windows for my wife and Linux for me).

Now if I could get my hands on 1 computer for my wife (Windows), 1 computer for me (Linux) and 1 computer for the kids (anything) and 1 for a server (Linux) then they would be single-boot.

I force my girlfriend to use Linux. :)

mangar
July 12th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I'll clarify the question:
Do you run Linux exclusively? (on your own PC..)

lenaubry
July 12th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I dual boot Ubuntu and XP.

Ubuntu for work and XP for gaming/Ventrilo.

aks44
July 12th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Kubuntu all the way, no dual boot here (although I run a VM from time to time, exclusively to test the site I'm writing against IE).

rax_m
July 12th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Yes.. but I haven't actually booted into window xp in over 4 months.

Sunflower1970
July 12th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I dual boot only on one computer. The other two are Windows-free.

But, I'm moving away from the dual boot, and if I need XP I use it in VMWare. Heck of a lot quicker than rebooting over to XP, anyway.

gvoima
July 12th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Well I kind of have to because I'm a software developer and do some windows programming even if I didn't want to (because of work). But mostly I do my stuff in VMware. But not so often though.. maybe once a month.

If I was given a choice from work, I would not need windows at all. Ubuntu is great, the more I use it the better it gets :)

And the dual boot is only on my desktop computer, my laptop, server and other computers are only linux based.

Hex_Mandos
July 12th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Linux only, but I may be dual booting Ubuntu + another distro soon.

CautionaryX
July 12th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I dual boot edgy and xp pro. I still have my Vista RC1 partition but I'm thinking about deleting it to expand my Ubuntu partition.

Kowalski_GT-R
July 12th, 2007, 09:39 PM
No

'nuff said :)

Paul820
July 12th, 2007, 09:42 PM
No, 100% Ubuntu :)

Brian96
July 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I installed Feisty in May and have been dual-booting since. I intended to migrate completely to Linux (with XP in a VM for the few apps I can't replace), but occasionally I have run into quirky issues that have been resolved because I still had XP on the bare metal. Actually, the different ways that each OS logs and interacts with files has been very helpful in salvaging data that before 2 OSes I would have had trouble resolving. So I think I'll stick with both for a while.

Motoxrdude
July 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I am dual booting, but i haven't used xp in over 3 months and only twice in the last year on my pc.

smoker
July 12th, 2007, 09:49 PM
don't dual boot any more, haven't for months. i have to deal with windows at work, and that's enough.

Atreus12
July 12th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I dual boot...but off the top of my head I can't recall the date when I last booted to windows. Probably around 2 months?

jgrabham
July 12th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Mostly use Ubuntu, but have win xp for AOE and other games

NilsHG
July 12th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Dual booting Feisty / Win XP on Desktop and notebook. less on the notebook though. Desktop for gaming mostly. In time (i am a fairly new ubuntu user) i will migrate my stuff to ubuntu and i won't have to boot win anymore. :)

amadeus266
July 12th, 2007, 10:20 PM
2 machines and a KVM switch. 1 running ubuntu, the other running Windows XP. Haven't used the XP machine in so long I had to manually run windows update yesterday. The automatic update software was out of date. LOL

fyllekajan
July 12th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I usually dual boot something (all kinds of OS) on my first partition. I have different images with different specific tools and purposes lying around that I can restore within 5-10 minutes, literally. Sometimes I like to work with Photoshop so I restore that image. Sometimes I like to play with Gentoo and restore that... If some friend wants to use my computer I set them up with whatever environment they feel comfortable with. Grub is full of options that don't always exist though :) But Linux is still my OS of choice.

xpod
July 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM
All the pc`s in the house are dualboots of some sort but my own has feisty & gutsy just now.

Lads is Ubuntu & puppy
Girls has Ubuntu & Xp but XP is only ever used when i need to call my isp:)
Just got an old Dell Latitude of someone yesterday and it had XP on it...for all of 5 minutes.

Now it has puppy & Ubuntu although Ubuntu wont be much good till the extra memory arrives.
Still works though:)

init1
July 13th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I duel boot, but only for linux and freedos. No windows here.

starcraft.man
July 13th, 2007, 01:13 AM
This box I'm on now is 100% linux (triple boot with Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu). I have another machine I hook up to my VP930b (beauty of multiple inputs) when I want Windows (really only for VMs and top end games, the quad core is awesome :)). So strictly speaking, I don't dual boot anything... even my Windows box is a triple boot.

FoolsGold_MKII
July 13th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Partition wise, it's only Linux. I have a VMware image of Windows XP for the rare occasions I need access to Windows, but that doesn't really count so no, I don't dual boot.

Atomic Dog
July 13th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I triple boot XP, Vista and Ubuntu. Of course Ubuntu gets a healthy 60 gig of space, and it gets used 99% of the time.

Matakoo
July 13th, 2007, 01:58 AM
No need to dual-boot, hence no Windows here. Almost everything I need is available for Linux natively, and that one exception works in wine. As do the other things I use wine for...a few apps where the Win-equivalents are more mature. Actually, only DVD-Shrink in that category.

It probably lowered my blood pressure too :)

euler_fan
July 13th, 2007, 02:21 AM
I technically have three OS's on my machine, two Ubuntu (36- and 64-bit) and XP. But since "yes" is closer to the truth than "no" and 64-bit has been broken for a few months . . . well . . .

kevinlyfellow
July 13th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I duel boot, but only for linux and freedos. No windows here.

I've been considering gathering all my old dos games and seeing how they work under freedos. I currently have another partition for Arch, but I'm looking to have something to add extra functionality with my other partition instead of just another linux distro (arch is great, don't get me wrong, but its the same song with different words).

What do you use freedos for? What do you think overall?

Compucore
July 13th, 2007, 02:48 AM
I have two seperate hard disk for my laptop over here. One with windows XP and the other is my feisty fawn on the other. @02 gig windows and the 30 gig feisty. If I need to go from one to the other. I just switch hard drives and that is about it for me over here. The other hard drive I have some of my programming languages for windows only. Makes some thing easier when I need to switch at a clients place.

Compucore

Arup
July 13th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Dual boot between 2K and Ubuntux32 on my old dual P-III machine, also dual boot between XP64 and Ubuntu x64 on my latest quad core machine.

costa_g
July 13th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I've just upgraded to Fiesty Fawn and have been using Ubuntu exclusively since December. I check things in IE using IEs for Linux and Emulate using Virtual Box when I feel the need.

I admit though if I was more of a gamer I'd probably Dual Boot. ;)

Old Pink
July 13th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Why would I dual boot when I can run Ubuntu alone? There's certainly no need for Windows? :)

RAV TUX
July 13th, 2007, 02:57 AM
No dual booting here. ;-)

Just using Oz Gnome 1.0. (http://www.rpath.org/rbuilder/project/oz/release?id=5686)

rocknrolf77
July 13th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Currently booting Gutsy, Mint 3.0, Feisty 64-bit, Dreamlinux and XP

Can't say I really have the time to boot into XP. Maybe on some rare occasions, when I really have the need for some DX gaming.

Guess I'm not dual booting then, but multi booting. Even so I voted yes.

Detonate
July 13th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Currently Tri-booting to three different linux distros, but no windows, so I answered no to the poll because I think you are asking haow many have windows and linux on their machine.

Billy_McBong
July 13th, 2007, 04:03 AM
i dual boot feisty and xp but haven't used windows in months :mrgreen:

roachk71
July 13th, 2007, 04:32 AM
No dual-boot outfits here...

I used to dual-boot between Ubuntu and XP, but Windows bored me every time I used it.

Now, even my WRT54G router runs Linux (DD-WRT), and with all the DRM and bloat in Vista, I believe I'll stick with Open Source henceforth. :KS

FuturePilot
July 13th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Yes, but I rarely boot that Windows partition.

user1397
July 13th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Yep, I currently dual-boot windows xp home and gutsy gibbon. I use windows as my main OS, just testing the bleeding edge for the benefit of the devs.

jusmurph
July 13th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Windows XP (gamer)
Ubuntu

Scruffynerf
July 13th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Yes, XP Home / Ubuntu

I'm one of the mystical 'new user' or 'migrating from windows' crowd (cue crickets chirping)

After trial and effort, and with the help of a lot of people here (thanks - no, really - thank you for your time and efforts) I can do everything that I need to do on Linux.

The only reason that I still have XP is for games - not just because I have games with high end graphics or whatnot, but because I also play LAN games, and everyone else on the LAN is windows.

That's it.

t_tovenaar
July 13th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I am using both XP and Kubuntu for I am still a newb :)

deepclutch
July 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
triple boot here.Debian Sid(apt-pinned with lenny and experimental repos) is teh main distro.
Ubuntu Feisty and ....Windows XP SP2(rarely used!)

Circus-Killer
July 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM
i dont dual boot, but i dont run linux exclusibely either. i run ubuntu on my laptop, and XP on my desktop. the only reason why i stick to XP on my desktop is so that i can use some of my more exotic hardware, such as my lexmark scanner (i know i know, shoulda went HP).

anyways, i'm quite happy with that deal, cos i never really use my desktop anyways. the only time i use my desktop is to play music, watch tv through the tv capture card, or scan in images, the rest of the time i'm on my ubuntu laptop.

kalmah
July 13th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Dual booting my high end, with XP Pro and Ubuntu 7.04, but mostly use for gaming on XP. I am usually on my laptop which was dual booting, but I have a puny hard drive in it, so single booting Feisty Fawn now which is working great for school.

Stang94
July 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM
I triple boot Ubuntu Feisty , XP Pro , And Vista Ultimate but mainly hang on ubuntu side .

walkerk
July 13th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Nope.. purely Linux..

steven8
July 13th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Ubuntu only. . .

DoktorSeven
July 13th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Nope, never again. I'm done with Windows.

And I like games, too. If I can't run them in Linux, they're not worth playing.

AndyCooll
July 13th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Started off by dual-booting but haven't needed to for the last year and a half. Quickly found that I only needed to so that I could play FM07. Then moved my copy of XP to a VMware image and that worked fine, the game functioned perfectly under this environment. Finally, earlier this year I managed to get FM07 working under Wine. So now I don't even need to use VMware. Now have no use for Windows at all (apart from having to use it at work of course :()

:cool:

zetetic
July 13th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Only Gnu/Linux here.

I run 3 installations of Debian and one of Ubuntu.
But the last time I have booted Ubuntu it was more than 6 months ago (I think Debian is better).

I also have a hard Disk with Windows XP, just for the case... Who knows if someday, for some strange reason, I will be forced to boot it?

So it just lies there, always off. I don't run it.

In the beginning I thought my wife would boot the Windows XP installation, cause is was the only operating system she ever used. But then she tried Linux and, after one week, she refused to ever run windows again.

Now she thinks windows is a piece of crap, and no one can even talk about windows in front of her... You know, some years of frustration running windows can produce some nasty effects.

SeanCly10
July 13th, 2007, 03:27 PM
My machine does dual boot, but the XP partition just sits and gathers dust most of the time. Like the previous poster, I expected my wife would be using Windows, as that's what she's always known. Ubuntu irritates her a lot of the time (mostly because, noob that I am, there are still things to fix), but she's not stupid, and can clearly see how much faster Ubuntu runs by comparison.

A while back, she was wanting to play some little internet game that was designed for Internet Explorer, and I suggested she boot to Windows. Her reply? "Hell no, I'll be sitting there waiting on it all night!" :)

I suppose that, logically, keeping the Windows install there is a good thing, as one never knows when he'll need even a seldom-used tool, but to be truthful its' presence is really just taking up space.

mangar
July 14th, 2007, 11:41 AM
What are you using your windows installation for?

Arwen
July 14th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I use XP in dual boot with ubuntu 7.04 ,I'm just waiting for XP to crash :-P
Only for games and for family that freaks out with linux.Also when I really need to view a webpage in that IE which crashes every now and then.When I managed to install my dsl modem in ubuntu I downloaded most of the equivalent programs(ok and I enabled those desktop effects and play with my jelly windows-yeah I like them :-) ) I had in xp so I'm fine with ubuntu..really I cant go back to xp again so in my home they have to get used to it.For now I have fedora core 6 in vmware so they can freak out less :-P..Besides, ubuntu is a lot faster .

stepan2
July 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM
i have not been dual booting with windows ever sicne i tried vista! it was fricking hell. IT DIDNT DETECT MY ETHERNET CABLE!!!!!(it also didnt detect everyhting).I am dualbotting right now though because i am remastering a nOS , the OS is in the other partion

fyllekajan
July 14th, 2007, 02:18 PM
What are you using your windows installation for?

once being bored I used it to infect it with all kinds of viruses that I had collected from my (Linux) mailbox for some time.

davidgypsy
July 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Me! And very happy for it! :)

Ptero-4
July 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Right now I'm linux only (used to dualboot with OSX), but as soon as I get a new computer I'm going to be dualbooting with FreeDOS to use the stack of dos games I have.

cmat
July 14th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I kept Windows just in case there are some applications that I need to get working and won't work in WINE. Like school applications. Also because I payed for the license. But I haven't used XP in almost 7 months. Ubuntu does everything I need it to do. I'm thinking of wiping my XP installation to reclaim space and keep XP on my laptop as a dual boot.

forestpixie
July 14th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I dual boot - sort of, just go there to print - and when I can buy a printer that'll work here I 'll say bye bye to windows. Stopped spending money on it a long time ago anyway - still using win2k.

tpg
July 14th, 2007, 08:34 PM
On my laptop - pure Ubuntu 7.04. :)
On the desktop, dual-boot XP Home (for games) & Kubuntu 7.04.

djsroknrol
July 14th, 2007, 08:39 PM
quad booting....

win2000pro
Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn
PCLinuxOS 2007.0
Mandriva One

Why quad?...well, MS & Fiesty are my main partitions...I show off Linux to my friends and visitors with PCLOS & Mandriva for the built in compiz/beryl. I also have a thing for KDE...:)

yatt
July 14th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Kinda. I have both Debian Sid and Vista installed, but when I reinstall Grub (as Debian has been there longer) Vista doesn't boot properly.

macogw
July 14th, 2007, 09:08 PM
That question is too general. I put "no" since the first post is talking about using Linux exclusively, but in reality, I DO dual boot. I dual boot Ubuntu and Debian.

mrazster
July 14th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Naaahh....singel booting Xubuntu.

McDuff
July 14th, 2007, 09:19 PM
ubuntu only on 2 pcs and a laptop and dual boot on all my famiy's pcs and laptops. only my girlfriend is still only windows... ;)

steevols
July 15th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Yes, but only because Photoshop and my 3D stuff run best in there. Now, however, I'm increasingly using Blender and GIMP, so Ubuntu is booted much more often.

Ptero-4
July 25th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Also because I payed for the license.

Did you really pay for *******?
You got totally RIPPED dude.