PDA

View Full Version : Launchpad or Forum?

Ek0nomik
July 12th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I feel as though I misunderstand the purpose of Launchpad. I have been registered on Launchpad for a little while now, but I haven't once used it.

Anytime I ask a question or help someone else, it is always on the Ubuntu Forums.

Why are there two locations to ask questions related to Ubuntu? I know the Forums aren't sponsered by Canonical, but Launchpad on the other hand is maintained by Canonical. Is there the only difference, the ownership?

Thanks,
Ek0nomik

GStubbs43
July 12th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I thought Launchpad was for reporting bugs while the forums are for asking questions. I don't really know though.

But doesn't Canonical own Ubuntuforums now?

Ek0nomik
July 12th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I thought Launchpad was for reporting bugs while the forums are for asking questions. I don't really know though.

But doesn't Canonical own Ubuntuforums now?

Hm, maybe they own the forums, but the last I knew I thought they didn't. I could very well be mistaken though.

I initially thought Launchpad was for bugs as well, but there is an entire section titled, "Ask a question" where people ask all sorts of different questions and people respond.

I guess I am just wondering why have two locations for this when they deal with the same topic: Ubuntu? Doesn't it weaken the effort?

PriceChild
July 12th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Launchpad is a bug, answer, code, bounty, build {insert hundreds more things} tracker.

It has a support part at http://answers.launchpad.net where you can ask a question and people will try and help answer.

UbuntuForums.org has been moved onto Canonical servers and it is now Canonicals, not privately owned. It is fine for general questions. However development and bugs MUST go onto launchpad. It is impossible for them to be managed on the forums.

Ek0nomik
July 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Launchpad is a bug, answer, code, bounty, build {insert hundreds more things} tracker.

It has a support part at http://answers.launchpad.net where you can ask a question and people will try and help answer.

UbuntuForums.org has been moved onto Canonical servers and it is now Canonicals, not privately owned. It is fine for general questions. However development and bugs MUST go onto launchpad. It is impossible for them to be managed on the forums.

Thanks for the reply.

All of it makes sense except for one thing. I have browsed around Launchpad, and it definitely should be the choice for managing projects and assignments for development over anything else.

But, why include the answers portion on Launchpad instead of just having the forums used for answers? Or even abandon the forums and strictly use Launchpad for that matter?

PriceChild
July 12th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the reply.

All of it makes sense except for one thing. I have browsed around Launchpad, and it definitely should be the choice for managing projects and assignments for development over anything else.

But, why include the answers portion on Launchpad instead of just having the forums used for answers? Or even abandon the forums and strictly use Launchpad for that matter?Well answers started with launchpad, before UbuntuForums.org was officially recognised.

Would they still create answers. knowing what they know now? I think so yes. Launchpad is a centralised system and you can track everything in the single central place.

Ek0nomik
July 12th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Well answers started with launchpad, before UbuntuForums.org was officially recognised.

Would they still create answers. knowing what they know now? I think so yes. Launchpad is a centralised system and you can track everything in the single central place.

Hm, alright. :)

There is an effort to incorporate Launchpad into the Forums, correct? I thought I remember reading a post about that from a Marketing person for Ubuntu.

The purpose would be to rid of duplicate questions I presume?

23meg
July 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM
But, why include the answers portion on Launchpad instead of just having the forums used for answers? Or even abandon the forums and strictly use Launchpad for that matter?

Also note that Launchpad offers the answer tracker feature to all projects that are registered there, not just Ubuntu. Which means, if you started a project right now, you could use Launchpad's answer tracker for your project the way it's used for Ubuntu, beside its translation, bug tracker, feature specification tracker features and code repositories.